People dying on Live TV

Comments

• Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't live, but on kinda the same theme, does anyone remember a 1980's programme called Cover Up.

Jon-Erik Hexum picked up a gun with blanks whilst there was a break in filming and put it to his head and pulled the trigger, not realising that blanks can still kill at that distance.
  • thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't live, but on kinda the same theme, does anyone remember a 1980's programme called Cover Up.

Jon-Erik Hexum picked up a gun with blanks whilst there was a break in filming and put it to his head and pulled the trigger, not realising that blanks can still kill at that distance.

Just reading about that on Wikipedia.

The guy sounds like a complete idiot.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bradford FC fire

I hEARD ABOUT THAT but never seen nothing about it
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OnceBitten wrote: »
    Bud Dwyer.

(Google it).

Even better.

Watch it live (warning: graphic footage) :

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=860c9b9f3b&p=1
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yeah I remember it, i thought the programme was called Hero though! Did it have Bonnie tyler I need a hero as a theme tune?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The match itself was being recorded by Yorkshire Television for transmission on their Sunday afternoon regional football show The Big Match. Coverage of the fire was transmitted minutes after the event on the live ITV Saturday afternoon sports programme World of Sport"

remember watching it ..... horrible, horrible stuff

hillsborough was live .....

"Graphic television footage of the disaster was shown live on BBC Television's Grandstand as the tragedy was unfolding and this, along with the large number of fatalities, made an extreme emotional impact on the general British population."

heysel was ongoing when they switched broadcasting from WOGAN, the resulting wall collapse was filmed though, and shown on news reports

CHALLENGER went like this .....

my dad, making dinner and listening to the radio, comes russing in saying the space shuttle has blown up ..... i don't know what to think of that ..... then the aforementioned NEWSROUND come on with john craven exclaiming SPACE SHUTTLE BLOWS UP IN SPACE!!!

immediately after watching it, i turn the tv over to bbc2, and my sister get's mad at me as she wanted to watch grange hill .....

didn't watch anything else that day

COLUMBIA was live, as the news channels now regulary show reentries, and the first sight of it was it coming down in fiery pieces

BRANDON LEE was killed when rehersing the table shootout scene from THE CROW. prop guns were fired with LIVE rounds, and not blanks
    it was not filmed

TOMMY COOPER was one of my favs on tv, and saw him collapse on stage

OWEN HART ..... i always tape the WWE PPV's for viewing later, and was shocked when my dad (aka the angel of freaking death) told me that a wrestler had died the day before, then i read the newspaper and read what happened ..... and watched the aforementioned PPV (over the edge)

this was NEVER filmed oficially, as it happened in darkness ..... and hearing jim ross saying that he died an hour later was stunning! i reackon that he would have been world champion within the year, as his popularity was about to skyrocket

only saw the DALE EARNHART incident in a short news report, seeing his car crash into the wall and somersaulting a few times .....

watched AYRTON SENNA live, but not the RATZENBERGER one

was watching the scotland - wales qualifier and remember seeing JOCK STEIN's last moments
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    With Phil o'donnell the other day and Tommy Cooper collapsing on TV, can anyone else think of a time when someone collapsed/died on TV??

Justin Lee Collins, every week on the Friday Night Project.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    kipster wrote: »
    Think Dustin Gee died in a Panto

Oh no he didn't ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    OnceBitten wrote: »
    Bud Dwyer.

(Google it).

i made the mistake of loking for this video on youtube because i have a morbid curiousity. I really wish i hadn't watched it.

I saw it a few days ago and i haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It's truly horrible to watch and if i could turn back time i wouldn't watch it again. but like they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonpie wrote: »
    i made the mistake of loking for this video on youtube because i have a morbid curiousity. I really wish i hadn't watched it.

I saw it a few days ago and i haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It's truly horrible to watch and if i could turn back time i wouldn't watch it again. but like they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

A former friend of mine (an idiot) sent me a clip of a soldier being killed once, i couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days, but eventually you forget about it. I can't really remember anything about it yet apart from that it was black and white.

You forget these things eventually.
  • BatBatBabyBatBatBaby Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Roger Williamson.

It was because of the way Roger Williamson died that new instructions were introduced for fire marshalls that caused the death of Tom Pryce and the fire marshall in 1977. After Williamson's death, marshalls were instructed to cross to the site of a crash or engine fire at the earliest possible opportunity.

Unfortunately the engine fire that the marshalls were running to attend to at Kyalaami in 1977 was on a blind bend and there was no way of them knowing that two cars were just about to come round as they crossed, obeying the instructions they had been given.

The saddest things about the Roger Williamson incident is that David Purley, the driver who stopped to help, reported that Williamson was alive for a long time in the burning car and was asking to be helped out of there, and David Purley himself died a few years later in a plane crash.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All!
    Can I just say, I was watching, when Tommy Cooper died and I remember doing some recording on my Dad's Hi-Fi[Sony, Stacker], the day of the Bradford Fire. I also remember, watching the Space Shuttle Disaster at school.

Now being only 34 years of age, although dying is something, that will come to us all at some point. I wish I could say, that I thought, I would probably go in my 60's or 70's.

While this maybe the case, I suffered a Heart Attack, at the age of 31, on a coach in Scarborough, in May 2005.

While, I did not feel any pain, and have lived to tell the tale, of what I was doing just before.

From doing, First Aid, at College, I know that some people can complain of Chest Pains as well as having things such as lock jaw, and being very short of breath.

So for me at least, when I hear or watch on the news on TV or Radio, that someone has died, I quite offten think, I wonder if they had any pain.

As for Tommy Cooper, those of us who saw him pass away, know that he must not have had that much pain, as he did not shout out in horror on TV.

So, I guess that, for those of us who are discussing about the situation of passing away on TV or Radio. In someway, it is just intrigue of whether they had alot of suffering, or whether of course, the person just died peacefully doing the job they loved.

Which, I hope that when I say that, it is what we all hope for, to pass away peacefully doing what we love.
  • BatBatBabyBatBatBaby Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Hi All!
    Can I just say, I was watching, when Tommy Cooper died and I remember doing some recording on my Dad's Hi-Fi[Sony, Stacker], the day of the Bradford Fire. I also remember, watching the Space Shuttle Disaster at school.

Now being only 34 years of age, although dying is something, that will come to us all at some point. I wish I could say, that I thought, I would probably go in my 60's or 70's.

While this maybe the case, I suffered a Heart Attack, at the age of 31, on a coach in Scarborough, in May 2005.

While, I did not feel any pain, and have lived to tell the tale, of what I was doing just before.

From doing, First Aid, at College, I know that some people can complain of Chest Pains as well as having things such as lock jaw, and being very short of breath.

So for me at least, when I hear or watch on the news on TV or Radio, that someone has died, I quite offten think, I wonder if they had any pain.

As for Tommy Cooper, those of us who saw him pass away, know that he must not have had that much pain, as he did not shout out in horror on TV.

So, I guess that, for those of us who are discussing about the situation of passing away on TV or Radio. In someway, it is just intrigue of whether they had alot of suffering, or whether of course, the person just died peacefully doing the job they loved.

Which, I hope that when I say that, it is what we all hope for, to pass away peacefully doing what we love.

The thing about a heart attack is that though in most cases the pain is strong (from accounts of those who have survived), fatal heart attacks are often quick. Even more so in the case of brain haemorrhages.

Can I just say that in this day and age you 60s or 70s is no age.

A friend of mine had a heart attack last year at 35 but so did her mum and grandmother and they are both still going strong at 56 and 82.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an african footballer a few years ago in the african cup of nations(i think)

played for cameroon i think or senegal
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardtarget wrote: »
    an african footballer a few years ago in the african cup of nations(i think)

played for cameroon i think or senegal

Marc-Vivien Foé, mentioned as early as post 8 in this thread.
  • nogoodbyesnogoodbyes Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centrino04 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it.

A former friend of mine (an idiot) sent me a clip of a soldier being killed once, i couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days, but eventually you forget about it. I can't really remember anything about it yet apart from that it was black and white.

You forget these things eventually.

I just watched it very scary, but I can't recall what happend now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    It wasn't shown live I don't think, but Donald Campbell's fatal attempt to break the water speed record was filmed and shown on news reels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2--T0CIA10

From Wiki:
    Campbell's last words on his final run were, via radio intercom:

“ Pitching a bit down here...Probably from my own wash...Straightening up now on track...Rather close to Peel Island...Tramping like mad...er... Full power...Tramping like hell here... I can't see much... and the water's very bad indeed...I can't get over the top... I'm getting a lot of bloody row in here... I can't see anything... I've got the bows up... I'm going...oh...."
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bradford FC fire

where can i see that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw the Dwyer clip... makes me wonder why they'd show it in full on lunchtime TV like some American TV affiliates did!
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    Darklight wrote: »
    I noticed that after years of being on youtube, the bradford city fire has been pulled after legal threats.

I found it again at
    http://www.leechvideo.com/video/view49294.html

...and have no problem posting the link because it simply demonstrates how awful the fire was, and how the poor commentator got it so wrong.

I think Yorkshire TV kept the footage locked away and it hasn't been shown since. I certainly remember seeing the whole thing at the time , I think either World of Sport started showing it live or showed a replay of the whole thing

There is a clip of an ILR commentator at the match who stays in the commentary box until it gets too hot to stay

Think the commentator did a good job, don't know what he got so 'wrong'
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Speaking of which, wasn't the execution of Nicolae Ceaucescu broadcast on TV? On christmas day I believe, which must have helped the turkey dinner go down well ;)

It wasn't broadcast live, either in Romania or outside. The lead up and aftermath were shown on the news that evening in the UK.

The public in Romania had to wait a few days before the footage was shown there
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    The Hindenburg disaster was broadcast live on radio, I think.

Yes, it was one of the first times that US radio beat the newspapers to a story, the 'Oh the humanity' commentary from the reporter is one of the most famous bit of audio.

The Crystal Palace fire was the UK's equivalent, the first real commentary of a live breaking news story beating Fleet Street hands down
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonpie wrote: »

Really wish (again out of morbid curiosity) I'd not googled/ watched that either.

A while back, someone sent me a link to (what I didn't realise at the time) was a clip of someone being beheaded in Iraq. Only this sick idiot had labelled the file as something much more innocuous. Stayed with me for months, those images. Awful.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Yorkshire TV kept the footage locked away and it hasn't been shown since. I certainly remember seeing the whole thing at the time , I think either World of Sport started showing it live or showed a replay of the whole thing

There is a clip of an ILR commentator at the match who stays in the commentary box until it gets too hot to stay

Think the commentator did a good job, don't know what he got so 'wrong'

I think it's because there are people dying there and all the commentator does is talk about the club and how it's gonna affect them. I suppose he couldn't really see how many people were getting hurt/killed. The guy on fire, there's no way they'd show that now. The broadcast would have stopped before that was even seen.
    Forum Member
    I think it's because there are people dying there and all the commentator does is talk about the club and how it's gonna affect them. I suppose he couldn't really see how many people were getting hurt/killed. The guy on fire, there's no way they'd show that now. The broadcast would have stopped before that was even seen.

Well, the coverage of such an event would almost certainly be carried live on TV, even if the match was being recorded such as a saturday afternoon. It's far more likely now than it was in the 1980s due to the 24 hour news channels. However no director would (intentionally) use a shot of the burning man.

In terms of the commentary, he was just saying what was coming to mind. The concern for the club was seems strange in hindsight now we know what a tragedy it turned out to be, but he wasn't to know that at the time he made the comments.