Taylor Swift- I Knew You Were Trouble

Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y

New video. Erm, is this Taylor Swift's attempt at being edgy? I liked We Are Never Getting Back Together, it's silly but catchy and I guess I *shudder* relate to it. I Knew You Were Trouble still has that air of something you play to yourself if your boyfriend spelt your name wrong on a Valentine's Day card, it doesn't really fit the video.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y

New video. Erm, is this Taylor Swift's attempt at being edgy? I liked We Are Never Getting Back Together, it's silly but catchy and I guess I *shudder* relate to it. I Knew You Were Trouble still has that air of something you play to yourself if your boyfriend spelt your name wrong on a Valentine's Day card, it doesn't really fit the video.

Legendary, iconic video from the global princess of pop and country. Bow.

But seriously....video was kinda disappointing. Anthony Mandler recycles too much. AMA performance>>>>>> Song is still amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought, for a Taylor Swift video, that it was pretty good! It coulda been so much more but I had no expectations for it. Either way, deserves to be massive! :D
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    It gives a ew meaning tothe song tbh, never would I've thought it was about a "bad boy"

I thought it was another breakup tbh
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legendary, iconic video from the global princess of pop and country. Bow.

But seriously....video was kinda disappointing. Anthony Mandler recycles too much. AMA performance>>>>>> Song is still amazing.

dont actually mind this song, the rest of her output has been terrible
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    My favourite song of hers to date, I love pop Taylor more than country Taylor although I can still hear country twangs in her pop songs so that's great...

I don't think the video matches up to the epicness of the song, its nicely shot but the story doesn't flow with the song imo...
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG that video is like a terrible copy of Lana Del Rey's "Ride":o
    I was just waiting for Taylor to say "I was in the winter of my life"
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shaking my head over here. I get she's going for edgy (It's better than playing the schtick as a 15 year old when she's now 23). But this video does not go with the music at all. It's kind of hilarious. And the whole rave, sex, drug feel, and the grungy dude. Lol. GL must be freaking out right now! Katy Perry be damned. TS is going the Rihanna route here.

I'm gonna pull up a chair, get some popcorn and wait to see what happens next. I am here for this new Taylor! :)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This fills me with glee a) as its a frankly enjoyable romp :p And b) she is attempting being edgy and cool to appeal to an older audience and its like not 5 minutes ago you were in your PJ's which TS are you country bumpkin or Pop Princess it all feels a little hollow, unbelievable and frankly trnasparent and calculated. But that said great pop track and video and at least she is branching out and acting her age sort of maybe who knows she is dating Harry Styles :p
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    The video reminds me of We Found Love. I really like the song though.
  • Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    This fills me with glee a) as its a frankly enjoyable romp :p And b) she is attempting being edgy and cool to appeal to an older audience and its like not 5 minutes ago you were in your PJ's which TS are you country bumpkin or Pop Princess it all feels a little hollow, unbelievable and frankly trnasparent and calculated. But that said great pop track and video and at least she is branching out and acting her age sort of maybe who knows she is dating Harry Styles :p

I don't think the video is particularly bad, but it's not very original. And the song itself doesn't suit the video, it's too high school romance-esque. The first part with her doing the monologue builds it up and then the dingy guitar comes in :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video does match the song? Has anyone in here actually heard the lyrics?

"Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground", "I Knew You Were Trouble".

The video features Taylor's love interest being, well.. trouble. Being deserted on the ground at the start of the video? No? Wow...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the video is particularly bad, but it's not very original. And the song itself doesn't suit the video, it's too high school romance-esque. The first part with her doing the monologue builds it up and then the dingy guitar comes in :confused:

Me either its a decent video if as you said wholly unoriginal. It to me is just her trying to appeal to a wider and older audience and it just not ringing true is she trying to be the next Katy, Rihanna or is she clinging to Dolly Parton plus others do this kind of thing and better and more believable.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG! Taylor Swift you are so alternative and edgy and dif-fa-rant!

NOT.

I'm sorry. I have nothing against Taylor Swift, I'm sure she's a lovely girl and all that. But that was pretty painful to watch. I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when the "dark" Lana Del Rey rip off video in the desert with shady boyfriend + rip off monologue finished and the high school cheery happy, happy, joy, joy pop tune actually started. I don't think I have ever seen such an inappropriate combination of images with actual tune in a pop video ever.

Just because the lyrics have words like "trouble" in doesn't stop the horrendous mis-match of visuals and high school pop. The whole thing is obviously just a very bad cynical attempt to try and make Taylor appeal to an older market.

Also Lana's Ride monologue is meaningful (if you are aware of Lana personality+life story), Taylor's was just a load of empty waffle. The only plus point for me is it shows how influential LDR is becoming!
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDR certainly IS becoming influential! ^^^ This makes me happy.

I really do like Taylor, but this video mad me cringe. And I'm not sure what the straw hair is about. Agree with others who said the talking bit and the song beginning part just sounds really.. umm... not good.

I don't know why this song was chosen when there are so many better ones on the album.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These girls just can't stop copying Lana:cool:
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG! Taylor Swift you are so alternative and edgy and dif-fa-rant!

NOT.

I'm sorry. I have nothing against Taylor Swift, I'm sure she's a lovely girl and all that. But that was pretty painful to watch. I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when the "dark" Lana Del Rey rip off video in the desert with shady boyfriend + rip off monologue finished and the high school cheery happy, happy, joy, joy pop tune actually started. I don't think I have ever seen such an inappropriate combination of images with actual tune in a pop video ever.

Just because the lyrics have words like "trouble" in doesn't stop the horrendous mis-match of visuals and high school pop. The whole thing is obviously just a very bad cynical attempt to try and make Taylor appeal to an older market.

Also Lana's Ride monologue is meaningful (if you are aware of Lana personality+life story), Taylor's was just a load of empty waffle. The only plus point for me is it shows how influential LDR is becoming!

This is pretty spot on. :)

I don't follow LDR so I can't comment on that, but the rest is how I see it. I will add that it is good to see Taylor without a shock face, dramatic pause or hair flip. Huge improvement. Country fans are going to hate the hell out of this video.

GL? What are you thinking about this?
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. That was a little bit cringeworthy. The music and the video just don't match at all - videos like this worked well with We Found Love, and impeccably with Ride. This just seemed amateurish in comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The video is ok, it distracts from the fact the song is poor. Shame that a song like this hits the airwaves and the masterpiece she wrote call "All too well" sits on the album with no exposure.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's amazing that the US is one of Lana del Rey's least successful markets but that hasn't stopped major stars there being influenced by her already. If you want to see how 'this' sort of video should really be done you need to watch Lana's 'Ride' then come back to taylor's and laugh at the amateurish attempt at a rip off. These sort of videos demand acting skills and Ms Swift isn't and never will be an actress. And the song is as annoying as it is catchy. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's amazing that the US is one of Lana del Rey's least successful markets but that hasn't stopped major stars there being influenced by her already. If you want to see how 'this' sort of video should really be done you need to watch Lana's 'Ride' then come back to taylor's and laugh at the amateurish attempt at a rip off. These sort of videos demand acting skills and Ms Swift isn't and never will be an actress. And the song is as annoying as it is catchy. :o

Taylor is her own person, she dont ned to rip off anyone let alone some lightweight. forgettable artist like LDR, its a unique video, just a shame the song is one of a group of three crap ones on Red. Says a lot for the sorry state of the music buying public at the moment when she has to release the worse songs as singles to try to appeal to the masses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taylor is her own person, she dont ned to rip off anyone let alone some lightweight. forgettable artist like LDR, its a unique video, just a shame the song is one of a group of three crap ones on Red. Says a lot for the sorry state of the music buying public at the moment when she has to release the worse songs as singles to try to appeal to the masses.

You can't wriggle out of this one that easily GL :p The evidence is clear and transparent LDr has been a hugely influential visual artist over the last year as was WFL video their opening monologue's and overall treatment are clear to see in the IKYWT video the whole premise and point is just there to see. And its obviously a clear attempt at appealing to an older audience don't blame the music buying public blame her it was her decision and her choice and she is just showing alack of confidence in her own art to need to sell out in such a way. I said i wanted her to grow up and she sort of is but i would have preferred more in the vein of Joni Mitchell than Katy Perry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    You can't wriggle out of this one that easily GL :p The evidence is clear and transparent LDr has been a hugely influential visual artist over the last year as was WFL video their opening monologue's and overall treatment are clear to see in the IKYWT video the whole premise and point is just there to see. And its obviously a clear attempt at appealing to an older audience don't blame the music buying public blame her it was her decision and her choice and she is just showing alack of confidence in her own art to need to sell out in such a way. I said i wanted her to grow up and she sort of is but i would have preferred more in the vein of Joni Mitchell than Katy Perry.

You can look at any video and see simular things is others She cant appeal to an older audience in a video whilst singing a song for 10 year olds. She has added these few crap songs onto red fo the sole purpose of appealing to the music buying public because at this moment in time thats what the music buying public want. Its all about marketing and the crap pop songs on red fit in with current trends. I dont follow LDR in any shape of form so cant compare the videos but I very much doubt its a copy, she makes her own decisons and copying is not her style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can look at any video and see simular things is others She cant appeal to an older audience in a video whilst singing a song for 10 year olds. She has added these few crap songs onto red fo the sole purpose of appealing to the music buying public because at this moment in time thats what the music buying public want. Its all about marketing and the crap pop songs on red fit in with current trends. I dont follow LDR in any shape of form so cant compare the videos but I very much doubt its a copy, she makes her own decisons and copying is not her style.

I agree whole heartedly its extremely difficult to come up with a wholly original idea. But maybe as your not as much of a pop fan the similarities are not as obvious to you as they appear to others but the video is heavily reminiscent of the big pop video artist of the last two years or so be it LDR, Rihanna, or Kp. And the song actually would appeal to an older audience as the dance influence would work well in clubs and bars frequented by the people of my age she is shifting away from teh teeny bopper songs a little. The irony is she said herself to find yourself you have to lose yourself and she has lost herself along the lines or maybe this is the real TS we're finally getting to see in which case it aint pretty :D:p I jest from an objective point of you great pop song, killer hooks, nice visuals and liking thea hair :p
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the sort of argument that, if it worked, would prove too much, since it could be used even in cases of blatant copying.

Still, good ideas will influence other artists, and it would be a shame if that couldn't happen.