The Greatest Male Solo Artist Of All Time- Get Your Nominations In!

Comments

• Tom8592Tom8592 Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebelrebel wrote: »
    Can this thread be moved to the Music Games area, rather than clogging up the proper music forum?

Moody...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Can this thread be moved to the Music Games area, rather than clogging up the proper music forum?

I don't understand why people complain about ONE thread 'clogging up' a forum.
    It is one thread.
    Ignore it, its easy to do.
  • denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Elvis Presley
    2. Jim Reeves
    3. Morrissey
    4. Johnny Cash
    5. Robbie Williams
    6. Tom Jones
    7. Freddie Mercury
    8. Conway Twitty
    9. Don Gibson
    10. Frank Sinatra
    11. Micheal Jackson
    12. Cliff Richard
    13. Neil Sedaka
    14. George Micheal
  • rebelrebelrebelrebel Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    It's a music game, there is a music game section, that's where it goes.

It's easy to do.
    Forum Member

It's easy to do.

I agree with that, it is the 'clogging up' bit I don't get.

I have seen it before from people. One thread cannot clog up a forum, that's all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member

It's easy to do.

Looks like you got your way :rolleyes:

Why do we have to have annoying people clogging up a proper forum?
  • rebelrebelrebelrebel Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    That's fair enough and you're correct.

I guess one week seeing best group, then best female, then male etc - the cummulative effect of this is that these threads are clogging up the forum when in reality it's one at a time.

Anyway the thread is in the games forum now so I will leave you to it - enjoy.

(And bowie or jarvis to win!)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's easy to do.

I'm struggling with the "game" bit. Am I supposed to guess who'll come top?

If so - Bob Dylan. And you're right, that was easy.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "What are you listening to right this second" is hardly a game either.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider this a "game", I consider it more of a survey, a poll ;)
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Tony Williams (who? Lead singer of fifties vocal group the Platters - incredible voice)

2. Elvis Presley (1954 to 1958 only - can't stand the music he recorded later in his career)

3. Sam Cooke (often forgotten Soul singer - amazing voice)

4. Otis Redding

5. Neil Young

6. Roy Orbison

7. Scott Walker

8. Gene Pitney (often recorded dross, but still a great voice)

9. Big Joe Turner (one of the true greats of early Rhythm 'n' Blues)

10. Smokey Robinson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be moved back to music proper - this is not a game, it's a poll.
  • marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider this a "game", I consider it more of a survey, a poll ;)

I dont consider it a game either - its a poll, could we get it moved back to the main forum?

It seems there is one person complaining and 30 plus folks enjoying it, unfort if its in games forum the poll will be missed by many.

Mods - the decision lies with ye??!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    1. Tony Williams (who? Lead singer of fifties vocal group the Platters - incredible voice)

2. Elvis Presley (1954 to 1958 only - can't stand the music he recorded later in his career)

4. Otis Redding

5. Neil Young

6. Roy Orbison

7. Scott Walker

10. Smokey Robinson

Silly me, should be fourteen not ten.

I'd like to supplement the above with:-

11. Little Richard

12. Chuck Berry

13. Jim Morrison

14. Morrisey
    Forum Member

4. Otis Redding

5. Neil Young

6. Roy Orbison

7. Scott Walker

10. Smokey Robinson

Nice to see someone else appreciating Otis. :)

Also, was this Tony Williams guy the ORIGINAL singer with The Platters?
    I thought it was Buck Ram himself.
    I am aware that Buck (as the 'leader' of the band) is still involved with them - assuming he has not yet died - has carefully chosen many lead singers over the years, but I was under the impression that it was about replacing HIM, as I thought his was the voice on the original versions of brilliant Platters' classics like Only You (one of my fave ever songs ) and their cover of Smoke Gets In your Eyes, Great Pretender etc.

I love those originals, but in trying to buy them over the years, I have accumulated some of the latter re-records with the subsequent leads, and I am not as enamoured by those versions. (Cheap CDs gets you the re-records, not the originals.)

Sorry to be so long about it, but put simply, is it Buck or Tony who fronted the original recordings? Either way, the original singer, and indeed some of the later replacements, do indeed have, as you say, magnificent voices. Very underrated.
    With solo artists, I believe it is the voice more than the material that counts, so while I like Bowie etc., you cannot beat Orbison (my TOP), Buckley, Redding etc. etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBHM wrote: »
    Nice to see someone else appreciating Otis. :)

Also, was this Tony Williams guy the ORIGINAL singer with The Platters?
    I thought it was Buck Ram himself.
    I am aware that Buck (as the 'leader' of the band) is still involved with them - assuming he has not yet died - has carefully chosen many lead singers over the years, but I was under the impression that it was about replacing HIM, as I thought his was the voice on the original versions of brilliant Platters' classics like Only You (one of my fave ever songs ) and their cover of Smoke Gets In your Eyes, Great Pretender etc.

I love those originals, but in trying to buy them over the years, I have accumulated some of the latter re-records with the subsequent leads, and I am not as enamoured by those versions. (Cheap CDs gets you the re-records, not the originals.)

Sorry to be so long about it, but put simply, is it Buck or Tony who fronted the original recordings? Either way, the original singer, and indeed some of the later replacements, do indeed have, as you say, magnificent voices. Very underrated.
    With solo artists, I believe it is the voice more than the material that counts, so while I like Bowie etc., you cannot beat Orbison (my TOP), Buckley, Redding etc. etc.

I could be wrong, but although Tony Williams was not the original singer, I believe he WAS the singer on all the big powerful ballads like Only You, My Prayer, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, etc.

I recently picked up The Platters Greatest Hits CD (featuring the ORIGINALS not re-recordings) for about three quid in Tesco.
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong, but although Tony Williams was not the original singer, I believe he WAS the singer on all the big powerful ballads like Only You, My Prayer, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, etc.

I recently picked up The Platters Greatest Hits CD (featuring the ORIGINALS not re-recordings) for about three quid in Tesco.

It is so confusing isn't it.
    I have tried (briefly) to research it before, and there just seems to be no firm understanding between different sources as to who or what was original etc.
    Doesn't change the fact that that voice is amazing (whichever voice it really was). I just know that Buck kept looking for guys with similar voices, power and range to fill the shoes, hence why The Platters are still going today.
    I shall look out for some Tony Williams anyhow - voices like that are too good to let slip away.

And yes, I did eventually find the versions featuring on my mum's original LP, eventually on a cheap CD, after finding at least 3 different versions which, as I say, are just not as good.
    It is not the voice so much, but the arrangement and even the melody which changed and just does not have the same appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so confusing isn't it.
    I have tried (briefly) to research it before, and there just seems to be no firm understanding between different sources as to who or what was original etc.
    Doesn't change the fact that that voice is amazing (whichever voice it really was). I just know that Buck kept looking for guys with similar voices, power and range to fill the shoes, hence why The Platters are still going today.
    I shall look out for some Tony Williams anyhow - voices like that are too good to let slip away.

And yes, I did eventually find the versions featuring on my mum's original LP, eventually on a cheap CD, after finding at least 3 different versions which, as I say, are just not as good.
    It is not the voice so much, but the arrangement and even the melody which changed and just does not have the same appeal to me.

I've checked on Wiki (okay, it's not always accurate!), but it would seem that Tony Williams was the lead singer during the group's most successful period, so he stays in my Top Fourteen.

I know what you mean about some of the later re-recordings: different lead singer, different arrangements, altered melody, etc. etc., it just doesn't sound right at all, does it?
    Forum Member
    I've checked on Wiki (okay, it's not always accurate!), but it would seem that Tony Williams was the lead singer during the group's most successful period, so he stays in my Top Fourteen.

I know what you mean about some of the later re-recordings: different lead singer, different arrangements, altered melody, etc. etc., it just doesn't sound right at all, does it?

I guess it comes down to how you first came to know them.
    For me, it was as a kid, and my mum playing her Platters records.
    I know that, for instance, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes is a 30s song, from a musical I believe, and I have never heard its original arrangement or melody, but I grew up hearing the Platters' original cover, so for me THAT is how the song should sound - arrangement and Melody. They have however, a couple of versions that are VERY different to their own original cover, and they don't sit well with me, but for all I know they may be closer to the original song.

Still, it's all good, and good to have a discussion with someone else who appreciates these old classics (dunno about you, but I am only 35, and still prefer all that great 50s/60s stuff to MOST of what has been around since the mid 80s).
    Though it is probably time to stop hijacking this thread lol.
    Thanks for the insights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though it is probably time to stop hijacking this thread lol.
    Thanks for the insights.

You're welcome.

And you're probably right about hijacking the thread. Let's leave it to others now - although I'm not sure that others know it actually exists since it's been moved from Music to Music Games because ONE person said it should be!
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Elvis Presley
    2. Bruce Springsteen
    3. Neil Diamond
    4. Barry Manilow
    5. Bryan Adams
    6. Phil Collins
    7. David Bowie
    8. John Lennon
    9. Paul McCartney
    10. Billy Joel
    11. Roy Orbison
    12. Paul Simon
    13. Johnny Cash
    14. Neil Young
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    Maybe if more people alert it, it'll be back in the general forum?
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    (in no particular order)
    1. Stevie Wonder
    2. Michael Jackson
    3. David Bowie
    4. Bob Marley
    5. Damien Rice
    6. Elvis Presley
    7. Marvin Gaye
    8. Johnny Cash
    9. Bob Dylan