Has The Body of Richard III Been Found?

Comments

• solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have played games with the viewer by painting the head reconstruction black....
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in how that woman deduced the body would be in Greyfriars church.

There's been quite a lot of research done on that over the years...

http://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/BaldwinSmPagesfromvolumeLX-5.pdf

http://www2.le.ac.uk/projects/greyfriars
    He looked no different to the painting

...apart from the whole jaw line being different?
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Channel 4 now

I have found this completely fascinating Henry and found myself checking online at lunch to see the findings, I was a bit dismayed that I had so little reaction from the teaching staff :eek: A learning opportunity happening now and involving our history snuffed out like it did not matter, well bar one ........oh well :rolleyes: What a great opportunity for children to see modern media/archaeology and history rolled into one and then missed.

I'm on another witter :D
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking News

Richard III arrested for sexual offences 500 years ago!!!!
  • dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    He looked no different to the painting, I was hoping he wouldn't look like that for some reason.

I was thinking that before they showed the model..They could have had the painting in mind when they did it..I can understand why Philipa was upset though.Suppose if you spend four years on an emotive subject and see it all come alive must bring a few tears
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    But the bones show scoliosis of the spine which the Tudors always said he had. The Ricardians claim that was mythology designed to make him horrible.
    :D
    Won't be long before the icardians are saying it's all fake.

Scoliosis is not a 'hunchback'. That is kyphosis. The Tudors picked up on the spinal issue and turned it into evidence of monstrosity.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I have found this completely fascinating Henry and found myself checking online at lunch to see the findings, I was a bit dismayed that I had so little reaction from the teaching staff :eek: A learning opportunity happening now and involving our history snuffed out like it did not matter, well bar one ........oh well :rolleyes: What a great opportunity for children to see modern media/archaeology and history rolled into one and then missed.

I'm on another witter :D

It has been fasinating. Lovely how the past came be brought to life.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a good looking man.

What a horrible way to die, and stripped naked on public display :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that although it possibly came across as a little bizarre I did get where Phillipa was coming from. She had strived for this, to find Richard's grave and to her he wasn't just a chapter in a History book but a person. She had invested so much and until certain moments it could have been anyone. I know two small bodies were unearthed in the Tower of London during Charles II''s reign but were they ever later DNA matched? Or just buried under the presumption that they were the two Princes In The Tower.

Still think that Richard III was given a unfair write-up in the Tudor years. Monarchy back then was cut-throat and ruthless. It was still late into the Tudor times, Elizabeth I ordering her cousin Mary's death. Henry VIII ridding himself of the De Pole family etc.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    xVictoriax wrote: »
    I must admit that although it possibly came across as a little bizarre I did get where Phillipa was coming from. She had strived for this, to find Richard's grave and to her he wasn't just a chapter in a History book but a person. She had invested so much and until certain moments it could have been anyone. I know two small bodies were unearthed in the Tower of London during Charles II''s reign but were they ever later DNA matched? Or just buried under the presumption that they were the two Princes In The Tower.

Still think that Richard III was given a unfair write-up in the Tudor years. Monarchy back then was cut-throat and ruthless. It was still late into the Tudor times, Elizabeth I ordering her cousin Mary's death. Henry VIII ridding himself of the De Pole family etc.

Indeed, particularly the Countess of Salisbury, a niece of Richard III. The old woman was dragged to the scaffold and the executioner botched the job in a very grisly manner.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Now find his horse.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the contributors to the Richard III Society going to get their £10k funding for the dig reimbursed by the government, seeing as this discovery is of national heritage? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    You say odd, I say passionate and she's obviously not the only one.

She raised over £10k to dig up a council car park on a bit of research and a hunch and found a lost king.

Was that intentional ? :D

My uncle had the same condition as Richard , commonly called a wry neck. It 's not a hunchback look , but one of the shoulders is tucked under your chin. It is noticable. If he was a perfect physical specimen why would later generations claim he had some form of disability. They may have exaggerated his looks , but there must have been something there .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    TheBilly wrote: »
    He looks exactly like the painting of him. Haha. What a joke.

Non of these face reconstructions are true.

They just make them and everyone belives it.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    He's being booked for an interview by Piers Moron 'Amazing life stories' voice dubbed by an actor.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's been quite a lot of research done on that over the years...

http://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/BaldwinSmPagesfromvolumeLX-5.pdf

http://www2.le.ac.uk/projects/greyfriars

...apart from the whole jaw line being different?

Thanks for the links.

So Phillipa was no more than a source of funding to carry out a dig long believed to be where Richard was buried?
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the Richard III reconstruction looks like Guy de la Bédoyère?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think there are no records going back to the fifteenth century? How do you think we know about The Battle of Hastings, the Battle of Stamford Bridge, the War of the Roses, the lives and deaths and issue of every notable person in English (no, world) history going back over a thousand years?

This is a woman who was sister to Edward IV and Richard III, and aunt to Edward V. She was also aunt to Henry Tudor's wife (Elizabeth of York), therefore great-aunt to Henry VIII, so of direct lineage to our current Royal Family. The British Royal Family probably has the most traceable family tree in history - every king and queen (plus their brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, councillors, ladies-in-waiting, best friends, dogs etc) going back to long before William the Conqueror is known, so why on earth do you think that it may be inaccurate?

There's no need to trace back from this Canadian guy and some forms he has filled in, there's no need to disbelieve any claims he is making - just trace forward from Richard, Duke of York, through his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren and you'll arrive at Michael Ibsen. No doubt about it.

Good post, family history research can be a fascinating and yet sometimes frustrating hobby and much easier these days with so many online records available. For those of you who've not delved into your own family history I assure you, its a wonderful and often surprising way of spending some of your time :) Got my fathers side pretty much pegged down to @1590 :)
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Hahaha!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    But the bones show scoliosis of the spine which the Tudors always said he had. The Ricardians claim that was mythology designed to make him horrible.
    :D
    Won't be long before the icardians are saying it's all fake.

I have to admit I was chuckling a bit during the program.

It looks as if Richard III was slight and a bit twisted.

And was killed in the way that was recorded.

I don't see how the Ricardians can see this as a triumph exactly.

Seems to show that the 'blackening' was based on a lot of truth.
  • Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I can't believe they were allowed to dig up a council/social services car park like that. Where did local authority staff park during their work hours (i.e. 11-12 and 2-3, 2:30 on a Friday)?
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I said in another thread that I think he looks like Matthew Horne out of Gavin & Stacey.