Russia Today gone widescreen

2»

Comments

• Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    RT is great. Some very interesting magazine programmes. Although I agree you cant call it unbiased. It offers a good alternative view of the world though whether its in widescreen or not.

In a sense it's a bit like listening to Radio Moscow all those years ago, especially if you watch Fox News :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The satellite licence was transferred last May http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/052012

Despite that Info TV continue to manage the UK satellite distribution of Russia Today.
    Is RIA Novosti linked to the Russian government? According to an article on what appears to RIA Novosti's ("RIAN") own website it is entirely independent. Glad that's been cleared up.

"RIA Novosti Does Not Control RT Television – Russian Media Experts"
    "Under Russian law, as an autonomous non-profit organization, RT is fully independent of its founders. ...RIA Novosti does not have any representatives on the RT Supervisory Council or any other RT management bodies, and hence does not influence the network’s editorial policy, or its financial and economic operation, directly or indirectly.
    RIA Novosti and RT are media organizations established and financed by the government. The older of the two, RIA Novosti, helped establish the younger one, RT."
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a sense it's a bit like listening to Radio Moscow all those years ago, especially if you watch Fox News :D

Although Radio Moscow / Voice of Russia actually had a better reputation. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Is RIA Novosti linked to the Russian government?

RIA is the Russian Information Agency, directly controlled by the Kremlin. Obviously, they don't brag about that.
  • ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does remind me of Radio Moscow. I still listen to VOR occasionally. I just think their documentaries are far more interesting and diverse than anything the others serve up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps in future years, RT presenters will be repeating the words of former Radio Moscow presenter Vladimir Pozner, "what I was doing was propaganda".
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Information TV Limited are no longer the licensee for Russia Today on DTT, the licensee is now RT's owners 'TV-Novosti'

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/012013
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I've a friend who swears by the Keiser report !

Agree, 1000%
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    booksy wrote: »
    Sad to see that most of you are government sheep :-(

RT is the best, unbiased and informative news channel in the world. If you want to hear the news stories that BBC, CNN, FOX etc refuse to show, you need to watch RT.

Agree, people are too busy reading Russia, to look passed this and watch real new, RT is the only decent news channel going,
    and if you think its not, you don't watch it, the way the uk is going, i think we would have more freedom in Russia anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Information TV Limited are no longer the licensee for Russia Today on DTT, the licensee is now RT's owners 'TV-Novosti'

Information TV would have had no editorial control over RT, which a licensee is required to have under Ofcom rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »

Russian state owned. They state they are autonomous with no interference from the owners (like the BBC and France 24).

RT's annual budget has increased from $30 million to $300 million since 2005, growth most broadcasters can only dream of.

"RT cost $30 million to establish in 2005 and $30 million for its first year of operation. About half of the network's budget came from the state and the other half from banks and companies friendly to the government. Its budget in dollars was approximately $80 million in 2007, $120 million in 2008, $380 million in 2011 and $300 million in 2012. Putin has prohibited funding for Russia Today from being reduced as of October 30, 2012."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Putin has prohibited funding for Russia Today from being reduced as of October 30, 2012.

No surprise there. :D
  • krooneykrooney Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still shut down for scheduled maintenance every so often. Maybe that's when the presenters are getting their propaganda lessons lol.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now renamed to RT on Freeview - changed about 10:10 this morning.