Digital Spy should have better tablet support!

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
Forum Member
✭✭
I cannot use the forum search function on either of my tablets (Xoom and Nexus 7).

If I 'click' on the Search Forum box, the keyboard comes up then as soon as I type the first character, the keyboard goes away and the box disappears.

Isn't it time Digital Spy had a tablet-friendly setting?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Search seems to work fine on my Nexus 7.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I cannot use the forum search function on either of my tablets (Xoom and Nexus 7).

If I 'click' on the Search Forum box, the keyboard comes up then as soon as I type the first character, the keyboard goes away and the box disappears.

Isn't it time Digital Spy had a tablet-friendly setting?
    I also have the same problem with my Apple IPad 2, but it works ok on my Laptop Computer.
    Ian.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the search box is shit. it's shit on the desktop too. i often click it type my search and then notice the cable on my mouse has moved out of the search box.

i can get it to work on my N7 but it's not straight forward.

they've mixed two forms of behaviour, for hover and click. they are using hover behaviour but after a click.

so you click the search function and that activates hover behaviour on 'search' and on 'forum tools'. it's daft because of someone had wanted forum tools they wouldn't have clicked search.

it's really stupid.

on my tablet, my phone and every tablet i've ever used you click search, the search box comes up and the screen is resized to make the search box fill the screen, which causes it to lose focus and disappear, so you have to click it again.

i find it hard to believe this is part of vbulletin.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works fine of my Asus TF300 (using Chrome browser).
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the people that say it works on their tablet - are you sure you mean the popup Search This Forum box?

Of course the static search box at the top of the screen works on anything!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member

I don't see anything wrong with DS on a tablet and it works fine for me. I get better results on searches anyway (irrespective of device) by going to Google, typing in site:forums.digitalspy.co.uk followed by the search terms that you're looking for and that should bring up some relevant results.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see anything wrong with DS on a tablet

Sure you're selecting the search box on the blue line just below the Add Reply or New Thread button (depending on which level you're at)?

If so, I'd be interested to know what tablet you are using. If it's an iPad, maybe it's just a problem with Android tablets (or my particular Android tablet is different from everyone else's!)
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    To the people that say it works on their tablet - are you sure you mean the popup Search This Forum box?

Of course the static search box at the top of the screen works on anything!

Yes, it's the pop up box. As I say works fine on my Asus TF300 using Chrome browser. I just click search, box comes up, touch inside box and then I can type into the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This works perfectly on ipad and iphone, exactly as it would on a PC browser.
    Tried it with Safari, Chrome and iCabMobile browsers

I asked a friend to try on their Samsung Galaxy tab2 and it works fine on there too.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    so are we saying it works differently for different people running exactly the same hardware and software?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    This works perfectly on ipad and iphone, exactly as it would on a PC browser.
    Tried it with Safari, Chrome and iCabMobile browsers

I asked a friend to try on their Samsung Galaxy tab2 and it works fine on there too.

That's what I have running on Android 4.04 with the standard vanilla browser and the internal DS search works OK for me. That said, I usually go outside to Google to do DS searches because I find their results to be more relevant overall.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't work on my Motorola Xoom (1st gen) on Android 4.0.4.

The search box pops out, then I touch inside the box and the keyboard pops up, and then keyboard and box disappears before I have time to enter anything.

This is on the stock browser and also the Maxthon browser.

ETA: it does work however on the Chrome browser, so I guess it depends on the browser.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy needs an app on both Android and iOS.

Maybe Tapatalk?

You could also just go to forums.digitalspy.co.uk/search.php
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It works sometimes for me on my N4/N7 using Chrome and other times it vanishes as soon as I start typing.