PS4 HDD upgrades - new info

Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
Forum Member
So a few may have seen the german site with the first photos of the PS4 and how to replace the HDD (basically, the glossy part of the console slides off and you get access to the drive bay).

There was a little confusion at first about what size 2.5" hard drives you could fit in there. Most large capacity hard drives are 9.5mm in thickness. The highest capacity 9.5mm drive is 1tb.

It now transpires that Sony have confirmed that drives up to 12.5mm in thickness will fit in, allowing us to fit virtually any 2.5" drive into the PS4 when it comes out...

including this 2tb bad boy:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-395-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=896

thought this info might be helpful to some here. :)

Comments

• jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    So a few may have seen the german site with the first photos of the PS4 and how to replace the HDD (basically, the glossy part of the console slides off and you get access to the drive bay).

There was a little confusion at first about what size 2.5" hard drives you could fit in there. Most large capacity hard drives are 9.5mm in thickness. The highest capacity 9.5mm drive is 1tb.

It now transpires that Sony have confirmed that drives up to 12.5mm in thickness will fit in, allowing us to fit virtually any 2.5" drive into the PS4 when it comes out...

including this 2tb bad boy:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-395-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=896

thought this info might be helpful to some here. :)

Would a 7200rpm drive be better?
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen the German site.....?
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope this is true as with PS4 games will no doubt get significantly bigger again, what with one PS4 game already confirmed to be 50GB and these are just first wave games, imagine how much bigger they could get if this generation is anything to go by. Also if PS Plus will be giving away full PS4 games like the currently do on PS3 then us plus subscribers are going to be filling the standard 500GB HDD sooner than later.

My plan is to make do with the 500GB drive for the first year or two then splurge on one of those 2TB beauties when you can get them for sensible money. Other option I am considering is a (1TB or 2TB) hybrid drive for the performance boost or a 7200RPM drive.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Haven't seen the German site.....?

Link to the NeoGaf thread discussing it with pics here

Behold the custom screw heads....!
    Forum Member
    Nice one, thanks.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    doubt anyone could answer this as nobody is yet sure. BUT

is the HDD a user removable part, meaning if i wanted to upgrade it myself it wouldn't affect my warranty?

Also any idea if an hybrid would work?
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    doubt anyone could answer this as nobody is yet sure. BUT

is the HDD a user removable part, meaning if i wanted to upgrade it myself it wouldn't affect my warranty?

Also any idea if an hybrid would work?

Like the PS3, the PS4 will be removable, and is designed to be user upgradeable and wont affect warranty.

Hybrid SSHDs wont work great - they are designed to "learn" user behaviour and that analysis is used to store the most commonly used files (such as Windows boot files). Unless you play the same games all the time, there will be minimal actual storage of game files onto the solid state part of the drive.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Like the PS3, the PS4 will be removable, and is designed to be user upgradeable and wont affect warranty.

Hybrid SSHDs wont work great - they are designed to "learn" user behaviour and that analysis is used to store the most commonly used files (such as Windows boot files). Unless you play the same games all the time, there will be minimal actual storage of game files onto the solid state part of the drive.

Also the solid state part will probably be pretty small.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »

Interesting, so it does work..........Think i will invest in one of those for the PS4 then.

What model is that drive they used?
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be sticking a 12.5mm 2TB in mine then.

I've also just found out that some 2TB 2.5" SATAs are 15mm thick, so people looking at this capacity should check descriptions before ordering (unless the PS4 can also handle 15mm drives).
  • Polo MintsPolo Mints Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I find it too bad that the PS4 doesn't support or have room for two disk drives and support a RAID array like many modern PCs can! Imagine the awesome performance it would give as a result! :cool:
    Forum Member
    Polo Mints wrote: »
    I find it too bad that the PS4 doesn't support or have room for two disk drives and support a RAID array like many modern PCs can! Imagine the awesome performance it would give as a result! :cool:

This is a joke right?
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    I'll be sticking a 12.5mm 2TB in mine then.

I've also just found out that some 2TB 2.5" SATAs are 15mm thick, so people looking at this capacity should check descriptions before ordering (unless the PS4 can also handle 15mm drives).

Very good advise re checking descriptions. Even better, most shops will show the model name of the hard drive - it's worth google searching that model number to get the official specifications from the manufacturer.

Re SSHDs (Hybrids), from what I gather, there's only 512mb to 1gb of NAND storage. Will look for more info though.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad Sony are sticking with this idea.

I just hope they have improved the back up and restore times for PS4 as it was painfully slow on PS3.
  • Polo MintsPolo Mints Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    This is a joke right?
    I take it as in you don't think it would be a good idea. :( If so why not? :confused:
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Overclockers listing is incorrect, all WD Green 2.5" drives are 15mm tall.
    Forum Member
    Polo Mints wrote: »
    I take it as in you don't think it would be a good idea. :( If so why not? :confused:

Complete overkill for a closed-architecture games console.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Support for 3.5mm drives would be nice, although that may make the case fugly.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Sony are also going to let you plug in an external HDD into one of the USB 3 sockets if you decide you decide you don't want to replace the internal drive but still want more memory.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I wonder if Sony are also going to let you plug in an external HDD into one of the USB 3 sockets if you decide you decide you don't want to replace the internal drive but still want more memory.

IMO that will be a huge no. If you could install software on external whats to stop you giving it a mate.
    It be the same has a PS3 backup and restore and media files only.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like any current 2tb drives will fit :/

Your only option for 1.5tb is one of these Hitachi's

http://www.span.com/product/Hitachi-HGST-Travelstar-5K1500-HTS541515A9E630-0J28001-SATA-6Gb-1-5TB-5400rpm~41229

Or there's a few 1tb to choose from
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »

Very Probably for music, photos,videos and e-books maybe not for games though
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    Doesn't look like any current 2tb drives will fit :/

Your only option for 1.5tb is one of these Hitachi's

http://www.span.com/product/Hitachi-HGST-Travelstar-5K1500-HTS541515A9E630-0J28001-SATA-6Gb-1-5TB-5400rpm~41229

Or there's a few 1tb to choose from

Cheers Fluffed. Yeah Overclockers let me down with that description.

Going to grab one of those Hitachis though! Cheers :)