It's Almost 50yrs....I'm glad I spent it with you..!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
So.....Doctor Who was 8 Yrs & 10 months old when I graced the world with my presence in September 1972....I have followed the show since it first came in to my line of vision which, if my memory serves me correctly was during Tom Baker's Era with Lalla Ward as his Companion Romana (2) - I remember being asked by my dad to turn the telly over to BBC2 and having to go over to the wall and turn a circular dial to switch channels!! lol - This made me seeth with anger as I was missing my favourite programme!! No such thing as I Player, Catch up services, Video, DVD's etc in those days!!

What was your first memory of the show and can you remember what you were doing at the time?

Comments

• Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 12 in 1996 when the tv movie with Paul McGann came out. My parents watched the original series in the 60s and 70s as kids. Told me I would enjoy it. Started watching in 2005 and haven't missed a episode yet. Thought Chris,David and Matt all bring different asspects to the doctor making him more interesting. Humans are complicated so a timelord is going to be even more so. Will enjoy the 50th special and celebrations in November. Might take us 6 months to recover from the S7 finale in may!. :):D
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first watched doctor who since I was 3 and my earliest memory was the mind robber or the wheel in space because I remember seeing Zoe and daleks in the same episode. I can't remember what I was doing at the time.
  • timealantimealan Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    "think" my first memory was the Sontaran Experiment, that robot think buzzing around the moor, certainly that season. Not surprisingly is still my most treasured period that I rewatch on DVD.

Who was very "in" at the time, Weetabix games kept me busy for hours...Basil Brush / Doctor Who / Generation Game - essential Saturday night viewing.

Davros made a big impact on a 5/6year old!

Stopped watching during the late 80's. Now get the same buzz I did in my childhood, but with my three children! Essential Saturday night viewing!

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/weetabix_drwho_3.html
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching Doctor Who during David Tennant's era and have enjoyed watching the new ones and the old ones. I've seen a good majority of the classic series. I do enjoy the new series more though, but I think it's because of being brought up with faster paced shows, Classice DW was quite slow in pace. I still enjoyed watching them, but I prefer it now, although I do like 2 parters.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    I first watched doctor who since I was 3 and my earliest memory was the mind robber or the wheel in space because I remember seeing Zoe and daleks in the same episode. I can't remember what I was doing at the time.

Must have been the last episode of Wheel in Space.
  • Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember an man with curly hair entering a room with black shiny walls and talking to a thing like a big black claw waving about, then there was a girl who vanished leaving nothing but her hair.

As to what I was doing at the time... I'm pretty sure I was sitting watching television ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only started watching the show fairly recently; my first sight if the show being the last ten minutes of 'The Hungry Earth', and my firsr full episode being 'The Pandorica Opens'. My interest grew when the first half of Series 6 aired, and became a huge fan on a marathon run of the second half.

I then spent the better part of 2012 watching the entire series, starting with 'An Unearthy Child', and finishing with 'The Angels Take Manhattan' in late November.

I've even managed to listen to a few Big Finish Audio stories (mostly everything with Lucie Miller), and even read the Sixth Doctor's final adventure in 'Spiral Scratch'.

The whole thing has been a wonderful experience, and I've had fun the entire way.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    I've only started watching the show fairly recently; my first sight if the show being the last ten minutes of 'The Hungry Earth', and my firsr full episode being 'The Pandorica Opens'. My interest grew when the first half of Series 6 aired, and became a huge fan on a marathon run of the second half.

I then spent the better part of 2012 watching the entire series, starting with 'An Unearthy Child', and finishing with 'The Angels Take Manhattan' in late November.

I've even managed to listen to a few Big Finish Audio stories (mostly everything with Lucie Miller), and even read the Sixth Doctor's final adventure in 'Spiral Scratch'.

The whole thing has been a wonderful experience, and I've had fun the entire way.

Wow, someone who became a fan due to Series 6! Let that be a lesson to somebody about something or other. :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    I can remember a mountainside with Yeti and silver control balls. I think that's just about my earliest Doctor Who memory. And Jamie in a kilt, of course.

When I got the "Lost in Time" DVD recently, it was great to see it again, albeit only in part.
    :)
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My earliest memory of DW was Planet of the Spiders. I remember being amazed when Jon Pertwee changed into Tom Baker.

I vividly remember Tom Bakers first series. I love re-watching that series and it is still my favourite. Davros, Sontarans with deflating heads, mankind in suspended animation, some very deep SF storylines. I even liked the Cybermen with Birmingham accents. Excellent!
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I'm one of the oldies on here so I can remember watching it from An Unearthly Child onwards. In at the begining so to say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I'm one of the oldies on here so I can remember watching it from An Unearthly Child onwards. In at the begining so to say.

And how mad that must be to still love a show that started half a century ago and feels like you only watched it yesterday!!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and memories, so interesting to hear them all and wonderful to see both older and younger viewers/fans continuing to love our wee Doctor!!!
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first Episode I watched fully was Spearhead From Space 1970 at the age of 4. I really did hide behind the sofa. My parents didn't have a colour TV so it was still black and white and it just mad it look really creepy. My dad watched it from the beginning and kept watching it until the 80's when he said it was shit and gave up with it.

I think he would have liked the new series. Shame he never got to see it.

Watching the show in it's declining years was very sad really and I was tuning out of loyalty. Some of the story's were good but it wasn't the show it was in there 60's 70' and early part of the 80's. the 96 movie wasn't the best but I was so elated it was back nothing could stop me from enjoying it.

when they announced in 20013 it was properly coming back I could not contain my self!:D The new series has done really well in my opinion and my kids now watch it! That's 3 generations of my family.

Tell me another show that does that!

Ken
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, watching 'Rose' on the first airing, and for the next 12 weeks, my entire saturday was planned around Doctor Who, being seven, I naturaly had to go with my parents with whatever they were doing, but fate somehow made it so I always got back in time for the next episode. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first memory is Rassilon tempting the Doctors at the climax of The Five Doctors, and Borusa taking the ring.

Then I recall Colin Baker being brash in the TARDIS console room about something. I remember having a conversation about not liking Colin Baker as a small child with a family friend, so must have still been watching. I also vaguely recall the Vervoids.

But it really begins to become clear for me with Sylvester McCoy regenerating into Sylvester McCoy. ;)
  • UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I do not remember seeing any episode before Pertwee pulled off a policemans face to reveal a blank visage... that was proper scary back then, but I might have remembered it wrongly!
    I wonder if kids actually hide behind the sofa today, like I used to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    The first episode of Doctor Who I ever saw was Rose, I was 9 and since then I haven't stopped watching the show, hopefully I never will stop watching it :)
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    I remember watching the very first episode when I was 10!
    :)
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it when it was first shown, with William Hartnell

I've not really ever watched it since..............apart from maybe the odd episode here and there
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The first I ever saw of Doctor Who was an advert for Kit Kat :p

After that, I saw a two-page spread in The Sun, showing a number of the aliens that were to appear in Series 1.

After that, the first I saw was 'Rose', when it appeared on TV. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

I remember watching the first episode. A proper omg moment when I saw how big the Tardis was inside!:)