escape from new york

geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
Forum Member
✭✭
just started watching escape from new york in itv4, not aged very well has it.:cry:

Comments

• Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always looked a bit cheesy in places, and even more so as time's gone on

but still love it :D
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic film. Wash your mouth out with soap and water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    geobrad wrote: »
    just started watching escape from new york in itv4, not aged very well has it.:cry:

sometimes I think this is the problem we get the cinema and new films these days and why we have pointless remakes.

No one is able to lose themselves in the magic of cinema an get drawn into the story like we used to. Watching old films you can tell the affects are all fake as you could at the time but if the story is great then you can just believe in that cinema magic and it doesn't matter.

These days everything has to be CGI this and that at the expense of any actual story or plot
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoot a cop, with a gun
    The Big Apple is plenty of fun
    Stab a priest, with a fork
    And you'll spend your vacation in New York
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Escape from New York is one of the coolest "retrotastic" pictures ever made!

From the cool black helicopters to Carpenters bass synth score, the computer graphics, the fantastic character cast, mordant black humour (Kurt Russell channelling The Man with Dirty Harrys Name in all but name!) and action set pieces its a cracker.

I have not seen and will never watch the so called sequel.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I think it's aged pretty well for quite a low-budgeted movie that is 32 years old.The scenes where he flies into New York,and the part with the crazies are as atmospheric as hell.And Kurt Russell's Snake remains one of the best anti-heroes in cinema history.

He wasn't sure how to play the role and when Lee Van Cleef was cast alongside him,he decided to play it like Clint did with the Man with No Name character.And it shows.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I have not seen and will never watch the so called sequel.

It's for the best that you don't. You can never un-watch it.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A classic of it's time, the 80s and I had it on Laservision disk to prove it! :D

Call me Snake!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Call me Snake!

Thought you were dead...
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Hasn't aged very well? There's a lot of heart to Escape from New York that is often missing in action films. The visuals and scenery for the most part still look great, especially the scenes featuring the New York Skyline and the streets. I would argue that the film looks better than a lot of other action films made in the 1980s that had way bigger budgets. The crew on EFNY really excelled in making a little go a long way. The strong cast and set of characters, the interesting storyline and the brilliant soundtrack also set it apart from many other films in the same genre.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's aged. But how many films are that influential? And I suspect it will hold up better in decades to come than some of the cgi-snorefests today :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Yes, it's aged. But how many films are that influential? And I suspect it will hold up better in decades to come than some of the cgi-snorefests today :)

Given the 15yr age difference, I think it's aged better than Escape from LA.....and, if I can go off topic, the same can be said of Alien and Aliens (which was apparently due to the film stock, used by Cameron). Both look great on Blu-ray, but Alien edges it for me.