Moving House

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,093
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody had any experience yet of moving house and taking BT Vision with them?

I will be moving house in about 2 weeks and want to transfer my BT Broadband, Phone and BT Vision. I am hoping that it will be relatively snag free as I do a LOT of work from home and need my net accesss! Any tips folks?

I am assuming that broadband speed will be the same as the house I am moving to is almost exactly the same distance from the exchange as my current one (less than one mile and the same exchange) and I currently get a throughput of over 6500k.

I got my BT Vision box on the beta trial (so it was self install) - I am assuming that I will just take it with me and plug it back into the homehub and BT's Servers will recognise my BTV Box and Hub MAC's and just work??!?!

Any experience of moving house with BTV or BT Broadband would be most appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er yeah if you havent already phoned them do it now!

If its done early enough the process is simple, however do it on a short timeframe and sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks at the new house for the old broadband to be disconnected and new one enabled.

Ive moved 3 times in the last 4 years and im about to do my 4th move in january.
    The first time was hassle free. I rang up 4 weeks before and there were no problems.
    The second time I was using NTL and they were awful so I went back to BT.
    The third move was short notice and it took weeks to sort out, to be fair not BT's fault.
    Cross fingers for move number 4, Ive already checked and I should get at least 5meg at the new house, twice what I get now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I'm also interested in this subject as I will hopefully be moving soon.

I was thinking of cancelling my current account with BT and then signing up as a new customer - this way I can get a new hub, BT vision with powerline adaptors for £30.

And then I end up with 2 hubs and 2 BT vision boxes which might be useful in the future.

Is this likely to work - or am I going to get stung somewhere along the line?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    i moved house about 5 weeks ago. i phoned bt and asked what day was suitable for them to connect ny phone line, bt vision and broadband. i was told a date on a wednesday about a week later. i moved in on the wednesday, got a text on my mobile from bt saying my line was connected which in fact it wasn`t.
    phoned them up and they said someone would call and sort it on saturday, which he did, but bt vision wasn`t on until the monday although the box worked ok.
    regarding that, i took it with me and connected it up exactly the way it was before i moved house and once the phone was on, i phoned bt vision up and they took care of the rest for me.
    i recently got a bill from bt saying i owe them £25.38 connection fee for bt vision which is one i dispute because i have already paid them £30 from my bank. my phone bill has nothing to do with bt and i keep getting pushed fron piller to post on this.
    other than that, you can move but take in to account what happened to me, because the same will probably happen to you!
  • mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also interested in this subject as I will hopefully be moving soon.

I was thinking of cancelling my current account with BT and then signing up as a new customer - this way I can get a new hub, BT vision with powerline adaptors for £30.

And then I end up with 2 hubs and 2 BT vision boxes which might be useful in the future.

Is this likely to work - or am I going to get stung somewhere along the line?

I guess that depends on wether or not you're still under contract?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers folks - heres hoping it goes smoothly :-)

BTW - Does anyone know a good site for checking ADSL line speed from my new address without having to enter the phone number. To be honest I don't even know if the new house has a BT line connected, I know for certain that it has Virgin Media cable into the building but unsure as to whether it has BT line active or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    mrsparadox wrote: »
    I guess that depends on wether or not you're still under contract?

I don't think so - I have been with BT well over a year and got BT vision on the first wave, so around 1 year ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    snowy2007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers folks - heres hoping it goes smoothly :-)

BTW - Does anyone know a good site for checking ADSL line speed from my new address without having to enter the phone number. To be honest I don't even know if the new house has a BT line connected, I know for certain that it has Virgin Media cable into the building but unsure as to whether it has BT line active or not.

i use this:
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I AM dreading is talking to the very friendly and polite but useless Indian call centre to try and get the move arranged! The geordie BTV support is great but I am guessing they won't be able to help with the move!

As a side note, I changed bank accounts recently but forgot to tell BT-Vision so my Direct Debit didn't go through - No problem, I thought, I will just pay by credit card!! My bill is now over a month overdue and I just cant seem to pay BT!! The online system will not let me pay my BTV bill (although it will let me pay my phone/broadband bill) - The call centre will let me pay my phone bill but not my BTV bill. They transferred me to a different department on several occasions, and each time they keep me on hold for about 2 minutes and then drop the call!!! It's only a tenner and I just want to pay it! I am going to have another go today but so far I have spent about 3-4 hours of my time trying to pay a ten pound bill!

EDIT: Just tried to go to the BT.COM webpage for Moving House http://www.bt.com/movinghome - The page is down!!! Oh good - The epic voyage starts here! lol
  • alanb123alanb123 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    0800 800 900 gets through to Newcastle and after listening to press this and that button you should be able to speak:cool: to billing dept. Suggest you leave it until first thing in morning if poss between 8:30 and 9. Cheers Alan.
    Forum Member
    Try and log in to BT website if you have set it up to view your bills etc. You should be able to log your impending move there. Dont know if it works though. I very seldom move from armchair unless absolutely necessary ! :cool:

Sorry did not read all your post so ignore my message. I am thick !
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alanb123 wrote: »
    Try and log in to BT website if you have set it up to view your bills etc. You should be able to log your impending move there. Dont know if it works though. I very seldom move from armchair unless absolutely necessary ! :cool:

Sorry did not read all your post so ignore my message. I am thick !

Go back to sleep, you will probably make more sense then;)
    Forum Member
    Vale07 - Surprised you are awake as well. Thought the West Country Dracula wasn't allowed out of coughing during daylight ! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Alan - I will give that number a try tomorrow!

Here's a question : If BT need 2 weeks notice to turn off my line and then reconnect it at a new house - what happens if I move house on Tuesday?? Will the new occupiers of my old house be able to make calls that are billed to me???
    Forum Member
    Depends how clever or skint they are ! Ban foreign calls on your phone as soon as you know the number might be an idea or move again and let next occupant pay your phone bill ! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to keep everyone updated in case anyone else moves house :

Phoned BT today re moving - I need to pay them £124 because there is no BT line at the new house (only cable) - no problem, I knew that already.

I can keep my old phone num and my BBV num - great!

Best of all - They have scheduled the install for next Monday! 7 Days! Perfect!

After phoning BT I then had to phone BT-Vision in newcastle to give them the date and they tell me that they will swop the BTV service on that date also!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. Hope it goes well and to plan. Let us know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somethings just struck me! When BT move my line to my new house on Monday, surely the broadband is going to have to go through the ten day training and stabilisation procedure again??

If so, my line speed won't be determined until the end of the ten day period so am I right in thinking that BT Vision won't be active until they have ascertained I can achieve the required minimum?

Any ideas folks?

Also, there is NO phone socket in the house - there has never been a BT line into the house in the last 5 years I know of (the property has been in our family for a while) - There is a telephone wire from a pole to the back of the house but NO phone socket apart from a Cable & Wireless one in the front lounge that connects to the cable box on the wall. Will BT, as part of the install, put the master socket in the lounge for me? The telephone wire comes to the back of the house above the dining room but a socket is no good in the dining room as I have just cabled CAT-6 all the way from the front lounge to the office upstairs so the HH needs to be in the front lounge!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will BT, as part of the install, put the master socket in the lounge for me!
    BT (openreach) will, I believe run an internal cable a max 3M from point of entry into the building, part of their new policy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT (openreach) will, I believe run an internal cable a max 3M from point of entry into the building, part of their new policy

Looks like I will be installing a phone extension then! lol! I am getting fed up of drilling and cable clipping! :-) Unless I can bribe the engineer to do me a favour???

Any ideas on the line speed training / BT Vision issue?
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I will be installing a phone extension then! lol! I am getting fed up of drilling and cable clipping! :-) Unless I can bribe the engineer to do me a favour???

I would suggest that yes - training is required - especially if the line did not have broadband to begin with.

Has any of the neighbours got broadband ? - you could ask them what speed they are getting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member

The BT vision team will have a rough guesstimate on what your line will be able to achieve speedwise.

You may be entitled to a free extension, as someone correctly pointed out WLR3 (wholesale line rental) states that a master socket must be put 3m from the point of entry. However (in my patch at least) these jobs come with a simaltaneous extenion attached to the job, worth asking the engineer if it as a wlr3 provide when he comes.

I've just moved home and dropped from a solid 8meg connection to a flaky 5.5 (which I daren't turn interleaving off on). But my BT vision, Broadband and phone number all got moved across perfectly. I stayed in the same exchnage area like so that may of helped.

I used thiss site to guess my new speed, it done pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick Update :

Today is install day! I am currently connected via a friendly neighbours wireless router (with permission of course).

Engineer turned up at about 12 noon. Decided he would have to run a brand new cable to the house from the telegraph pole. No problems with siting of Master Socket as the entry point is right next to my home office! Perfect for the HH as I have already run a Cat-6 cable from the office to living room to run BTV.

His boss has turned up to help him out - the master socket is installed and they are currently stringing out the drop wire to the pole!

So far so good...

I phoned BT to check whether or not the order for BB and BTV had been placed as well as the phone line - they have confirmed.

Will keep you posted...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick Update :

Today is install day! I am currently connected via a friendly neighbours wireless router (with permission of course).

Engineer turned up at about 12 noon. Decided he would have to run a brand new cable to the house from the telegraph pole. No problems with siting of Master Socket as the entry point is right next to my home office! Perfect for the HH as I have already run a Cat-6 cable from the office to living room to run BTV.

His boss has turned up to help him out - the master socket is installed and they are currently stringing out the drop wire to the pole!

So far so good...

I phoned BT to check whether or not the order for BB and BTV had been placed as well as the phone line - they have confirmed.

Will keep you posted...

Simon

Have you got friends in high places. No not up a pole. I am impressed, lets hope the rest goes ok. You sound like me. Check and check again that things are in hand.

Gosh you have friendly neighbours. Or did you go to borrow sugar, and then added "By the way can I borrow your bandwidth as well"

Style:cool:
    Pete
    Stop talking to us and put that curtain rail up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VALE07 wrote: »
    Simon

You sound like me. Check and check again that things are in hand.

Gosh you have friendly neighbours. Or did you go to borrow sugar, and then added "By the way can I borrow your bandwidth as well"

LOL! Yup - nothing wrong with checking and checking again!

I actually know the neighbour from years ago - this property has actually been in my family for quite some time now although this is the first time I have lived here. They were quite shocked when I pointed out that not only was their router running wireless without encryption but that they hadn't even changed the default admin password for it! I have enabled WEP and configured their laptop for them now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VALE07 wrote: »
    Stop talking to us and put that curtain rail up.

Funnily enough that's exactly what my wife would say! :)