Block people from BT Homehub?

I received the Hub from BT on Friday. It's been having some problems and doesn't seem to work when there is any sort of security on it, so I've had to disable the security. I will be calling them later this week for a fix...(spoken to them on Friday with no luck)

Anyway, going on the routers main (192.168...) I found that theres a quite a few unauthorised people using my router, I can see their MAC addresses...Is there anyway of blocking them off the hub so it goes at full speed?

Thanks

Comments

• Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could see if there's an option for mac address filtering on your homehub.
    Then just allow your own macs
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres plenty of people here that could help you fix your hh with security. Your just asking for it by not securing your wifi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    What do you mean by: "It's been having some problems and doesn't seem to work when there is any sort of security on it". What security have you disabled? If it WEP encryption I suggest that you put it it back ASAP. Its not that good but it is better than nothing.

I have never come across a Home Hub with any kind of security bug and and if one had a problem then they all would have it because they all run the same firmware. I suggest that you post what goes wrong in more detail as I reckon that the problem is with something that you are doing.

I guess that some people are sharing your wireless network. One can have quite a lot of people sharing an ADSL line before they affect performance but more to the point they are using your monthly allowance. What they are doing is also illegal.

Are you ujsing Ethernet or Wireless. If the former then I suggest that you go to 192.168.1.254/cgi/b/_wli_/cfg/?ce=1&be=1&l0=5&l1=0 and uncheck Interface Enabled. That will kill your wireless connection and thus any unauthorised access. You can reenable wireless later when things are sorted. If you use wireless i suggest that you still do this and connect via Ethernet while you sort it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    The problem with the WEP or any type or security is that any of my 4 laptops in the house won't connect saying "passkey incorrect". I spent about an hour and a half talking to the support team at BT and they said they have never come accross a problem like this. They said they were going to call yesterday but haven't so I'll call them later this week.

As for MAC address filtering - I had a belkin router so I know what you mean but theres nothing like that on the homehub except a very complex firewall I'm unsure on how to use.

And ethernet is out of the question because my phoneline is near the front door and I will be ending up sitting on the hard floor if I were to use it there.

I have been wary not going on sites like Paypal etc because of the risk of hackers but these people are seriously killing my download speeds from 500KB down to just 20KB which is really annoying. Also I have option 3 so my usage is unlimited.

Any further help would be appreciated and thanks for your input.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a temporary solution then, get your self a telephone extension lead, and plug your hh in near where you use your laptop. You really should not be living in fear not even wanting to use your paypal etc.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are using the WEP set up that the hub came with as default presumably. If so, the pass key is printed on the back of the hub. Make sure you are using the hub pass key and NOT the fusion pass key which is also on the hub. Next the hub comes with WEP set up as 64bit as standard. Therefore if you are trying to use a 128bit key it wont work. You need to change this on the hub. As others have suggested when you are changing the security set up you should connect via ethernet. This only needs to be temporary while you do this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    As you are having trouble with WEP, (BTW it has always worked for me.) may I suggest that you bone up on WPA. (Loads of threads here and even the Wikipeida article is accurate in this case.) and use it -assuming that all of your PC adapters support it? It will kill two birds with one stone - secure your PC and get around the WEP problem.

2nd BTW. Are any/all devices Macs? Because they require a $ sign in front of the WEP key.

I second doing a double check on your WEP key on the back of the HH.

3rd BTW, the Home Hub does support MAC filtering.