sony ericsson w705 virus

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
hi,i am looking for advice for my friend,it looks like he has picked up a virus/malware from surfing sites he shouldn't have,he's already said it was from a pron site..what has happened is his phone wont recognize sim card or sd card,all settings are corrupt and there is a problem accessing menus and the like,,,i was wondering if there is a way to wipe the phone and reinstall the firmware?,by firmware,i mean the phones system that makes it switch on and work as a phone,,i have no idea when it comes to older phones,only just getting my head around smartphones,,quite computer savvy though,,so if there is a way to get his phone working again,that would be a great help,he's gonna donate it to his son if we can get it working :)

sorry if there isnt enough info,but it was hard work getting the info off him as he has no idea about most technical things,he just knows he was surfing the internet,trying to download "something" and then his phone went haywire.

I promise it is a friend and not me trying to pass the buck lol,i like to think im savvy enough to avoid virus/malware.

thx in advance.

Comments

• mhoobag1mhoobag1 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Have you not tried w.w.w.hard-reset.com/sony-ericsson-w705-hard-reset.html

(wont let me post link.. but www is together)
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a virus, thats for sure. The W705 was one of the "old school" regular walkman phones, the apps are simple Java applications that run in a sandbox and can't corrupt the phone.

Likely just regular device corruption, it can happen from time to time.

As suggested, just try a full device reset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    hi,thx for both answers,,main stumbling block is the phone wont allow itself to be charged,get a message stating only sony ericsson battery can be charged,used to charge fine though,but it wont charge from the usb cable either,get a brief moment when it lights up,the charging starts and a popup appears on my comp,usual thing,asking if i want to open folder,use as storage device etc,,but that lasts for a few seconds,then the popup shuts of its own accord and back to square one,no more charging,cant connect to pc suite as there isnt enough power!,,not much i can do really till i see my mate,see if he has another battery,see if that will charge,if not im stumped,,thx for the answers.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scudybeef wrote: »
    hi,thx for both answers,,main stumbling block is the phone wont allow itself to be charged,get a message stating only sony ericsson battery can be charged,used to charge fine though,but it wont charge from the usb cable either,get a brief moment when it lights up,the charging starts and a popup appears on my comp,usual thing,asking if i want to open folder,use as storage device etc,,but that lasts for a few seconds,then the popup shuts of its own accord and back to square one,no more charging,cant connect to pc suite as there isnt enough power!,,not much i can do really till i see my mate,see if he has another battery,see if that will charge,if not im stumped,,thx for the answers.

So you're trying to charge it from the PC, rather than mains? That could at least be part of the problem - if the charge has got very low, sometimes charging it from a PC isn't viable - has to be kick started from a mains charger.
    Forum Member
    hi,im trying both charging methods,but its telling me a sony ericsson battery must be used and this battery wont be charged(generis replacement),makes no difference if i use pc or mains charger,,,ive heard before that 'trickle' charging from a pc is not recommended,but was just trying to get some charge in there,,ive got it connected to the mains charger at the mo,but it wont charge,,im waiting on my mate to get back to me to see if he has original battery,thx.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    may be the batteries dead. its old.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    may be the batteries dead. its old.
    As the phone was released in March 2009, it's likely to be quite old, yes.
    Forum Member
    hi,this is a different battery than original,however its a generic cheap one from a certain auction site,,he also said this battery seemed fine until this 'mishap' happened while looking at "certain" sites,as in the battery charged fine up until whatever seems to have damaged his phone happened,,i will try the original battery if he still has it,if not,im not sure what more i can do for him without taking it to a phone shop to see if they can repair it,,will keep you updated if i manage to get the original battery,,thx again.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a 4+ year old phone. Maybe he should consider a new one.
    Forum Member
    ^^^^ hes got a smartphone,in the original post i said if we can get this phone working again,he can donate it to his son,thx for the input.
    Forum Member
    just a quick update,,eventually managed to get the drivers installed with the correct version of pc suite,,did a hard reset and everything seems to be working well,recognises the network,charges the battery again and able to setup wifi,so,all in all finally got it sorted,,thx for the help and useful tips.