Comments

• MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks awful.
    Can't really say anymore than that.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Ian kennedy Martin , who wrote the orginal, doesnt think, so, and the Guardian gives it 1 in its review

For somebody who grew up as a kid , watching the sweeney at 9 on Monday night, it doesnt sound good, anyway, i make my own judgement

http://www.thetvlounge.co.uk/sweeney/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6994
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it makes you wonder why they bothered releasing it, i'd rather listen to Plan b music than watch him act, and thats saying something.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't get released until the 12th, so unless there has been some advanced screenings, or if anyone has been to a critics only special screening, then I doubt that anyone has been to see it as yet.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »
    How does it compare to the television programme

The only two carry-overs from the classic original are the Regan and Carter character names.
    And have they kept the theme tune

No.
    I am hugely excited to see the film version

You’re the only one. You couldn’t pay me to watch this abomination.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    The review in the Daily Mirror said it is quite good. Apparently there is an action sequence in Trafalgar Square and the national gallery that is quite impressive according to this review.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    well im looking forward to it !!
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Ian kennedy Martin , who wrote the orginal, doesnt think, so, and the Guardian gives it 1 in its review

For somebody who grew up as a kid , watching the sweeney at 9 on Monday night, it doesnt sound good, anyway, i make my own judgement

http://www.thetvlounge.co.uk/sweeney/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6994

Mate is a projectionist and we were lucky to be allowed into the staff screening, Ian Kennedy Martin is right, The Sweeney is a 70's classic that could have been an ace update if it had a decent script, decent leads ect. Damian Lewis must have needed the money to appear in this dirge.

Winstone is a fat obnoxious moron who has neither the talent or the charisma to be Regan, and he is way way too old for the part. Winstone is not credible or believable as an actor.

Now lets slate Ben Drew better known as the boy band moron Plan B, can't act,can't deliver lines and is so wooden Cuprinol are intent on making him the face of their products, his time on screen drags.

Any critic who actually praises this mockney mess has taken bribes. Avoid at all costs.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remakes of iconic films & tv shows never end well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winstone is the reason i wont watch it. he looks bloody awfull in the trailor.

tbh i dont like him in anything yet he keeps getting these roles
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    ITV4 showed an old episode of The Sweeney on Saturday.

Playing the part of 2nd Youth.....

..Raymond Winstone
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the advert for this yesterday. I kept thinking "it's plan b" just thought it was....odd
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    ITV4 showed an old episode of The Sweeney on Saturday.

Playing the part of 2nd Youth.....

..Raymond Winstone

What's the betting his performance in that episode is exactly the same as his performance in the film :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kcspurs wrote: »
    Winstone is the reason i wont watch it. he looks bloody awfull in the trailor.

tbh i dont like him in anything yet he keeps getting these roles

The whole Winstone brood repulse me, the daughter jamie is just a flashy tits out merchant who gets work because of the old man, i'm 42 ish and i can remember the Sweeney with Thaw & Waterman first time around.

Sweeney remake with the Plan B moron and the fat Winstone is just insulting and craps all over the DNA of a true classic tv cop drama.

Plan B aka the boyband moron was in a bulmers cider advert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Winstone and Drew are getting a bit of a kicking here.

The fact of the matter is though, they've only got themselves to blame.

To think that both of them saw themselves as the perfect fit for this remake is pure looney tunes. And to then add insult to injury in thinking that director Nick Love was the best man for the job; he is at best a one trick pony, and boy it's such a tired old trick.

No doubt he's already working on a remake of The Professionals with Vinny Jones and any of the oiks from 1 Direction as Bodie and Doyle, with a surprise twist of having Jessie J playing Gordon Jackson's character Cowley.

Not only does this new version not resemble the original Sweeney in any other way than the name, it is nothing more than a tired, bland and lazy piece of film-making.

If you have any affection for the original, avoid at all costs.

And if you have any love for film in general, do exactly the same.

Review here.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt he's already working on a remake of The Professionals with Vinny Jones and any of the oiks from 1 Direction as Bodie and Doyle, with a surprise twist of having Jessie J playing Gordon Jackson's character Cowley.

Don't even joke about that. You might be putting ideas in someone's head!
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of those movies I am more than happy to watch when it appears on freeview in about 3 years time.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I saw it last night and it was better than I expected. I was very unsure what to expect but it was an entertaining enough couple of hours. By no means a classic thriller but certainly doesnt deserve the slagging off it is getting from people who havent even seen it!

Someone said about the theme tune. Well the end credits have the sweeney theme tune but it is awful. Like some hip hop remix of it!!
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from the cinema and I must admit I really enjoyed this film. I was never a huge fan of the TV series so I went along not expecting much but came away thoroughly entertained.

I don't know why so many people dislike it when they've only seen the trailer or just dislike the idea that it's been made as a contemporary version of the 70s show. The action moved along nicely, there were plenty of car chases and shoot outs and a decent enough storyline.

8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Don't even joke about that. You might be putting ideas in someone's head!

I hear they are working on a remake of The Professionals for the cinema. Another Nick Love disaster in the planning.:eek:
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    Mate is a projectionist and we were lucky to be allowed into the staff screening, Ian Kennedy Martin is right, The Sweeney is a 70's classic that could have been an ace update if it had a decent script, decent leads ect. Damian Lewis must have needed the money to appear in this dirge.

Winstone is a fat obnoxious moron who has neither the talent or the charisma to be Regan, and he is way way too old for the part. Winstone is not credible or believable as an actor.

Now lets slate Ben Drew better known as the boy band moron Plan B, can't act,can't deliver lines and is so wooden Cuprinol are intent on making him the face of their products, his time on screen drags.

Any critic who actually praises this mockney mess has taken bribes. Avoid at all costs.

Christ, he does look particularly bad in the trailer. Was it really a good idea to have him speak the word 'robbery' twice when he can't pronounce his 'r's? 'It's more than a wobbewy'. Which crime is he investigating next - Roger the Reading rapist?

The original 1970s TV show was never going to be bettered but this film doesn't even seem to stand up as a cop thriller on its own merits. Everything is shot in that tedious blue that might as well say 'I've no idea how cinematography works so I bought this look off the shelf'; Winstone is far too fat for the role and his one-note acting is not up to carrying an entire film; Drew has no screen presence whatsoever.

Jesus, I'm digging out my Sweeney boxset just to eradicate that trailer from my memory.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give a whirl, but Plan B being in it really puts me off giving it a chance. I don't mind him generally, but not as an actor. He was terrible in Harry Brown, but he got some good reviews simply for looking like a pure, 100% chav. That means half my street could've done the same.

Did you know they held up The Sweeney remake start date by 5 months JUST so they could get Plan B?

Something tells me they expected him to be more of a pull than he is. I guess when they started filming it looked like he was about to get massively famous. It didn't really work out that way.
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. Some parts were a bit unrealistic but it was fast paced and there was a lot of action and shoot-out scenes so was very enjoyable. Plan B isn't the best actor but he was alright in his role. The only thing that bugged with a bit was the unneeded swearing in some lines because they just didn't sound right.

8/10
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even understand the rationale behind making this film at all.

The orginal Sweeney, or Flying Squad were a branch of the police force that acted apart from the rest of the force, and as the TV series would have us believe often played by their own rules, didn't answer to anyone, and Regan was always at odds with his superiors.

It was the Maverick cop playing by his own rules, something which soon became a tired ciche of many a movie and tv cop show.

Which begs the question of who this movie is supposed to appeal to...certainly not die hard fans, because it only seems to bear the title in common with the original series.

And to people who may have been too young for the original series, what is the appeal for them? Plan B? Surely it's just a bog standard crime drama?

Life on Mars did all of this so much better, and it worked largely because they had the sense to come up with a storyline that set the action in the original timeframe.

And I agree that Nick Love is an atrocious filmaker. If you want films about geezers swearing profusely and thumping people, well...he's your man.

Still...could have been worse...could have had Danny Dyer as Carter...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you forget the film is called The Sweeney and/or based on the tv show and just take it for what it is then it might be somewhat enjoyable.