Game prices for next gen consoles

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are the prices for next gen games too high or justified ?.

Too high or justified 37 votes

too high
59% 22 votes
Justified/fair
32% 12 votes
not sure/don't know
8% 3 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    They're not final prices yet are they? And anyway, Amazon just dropped their prices, Battlefield 4 on Xbox One is currently £42 for example, which would put them pretty much in line with current gen games. I can't see any game costing above £50 by the time the X1 and PS4 are released.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Game prices never change.

New releases have been around the £45 since the PlayStation days.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember SNES and Megadrive games being £40-£60
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I noticed that the prices had come down AFTER i'd posted this :o but i'm sure there will be some devs/publishers that will charge, or try to, charge us the full whack of £50+
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsburys entertainment current have all their PS4 games at £55. I would hope these come down in price once the release dates are 100%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    Sainsburys entertainment current have all their PS4 games at £55. I would hope these come down in price once the release dates are 100%

I'm certain that they will, i mean even Call of Duty: Ghosts on Amazon has dropped to £44 now, and that's from Activision who raised the RRP of COD games to £54.99 a few years ago, so if even COD has come down to those prices then i can't see other games from other publishers remaining at £55.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just checked the game prices at Game. OMG

Assassins Creed - £65 WTF
    COD - £60
    Just Dance - £60
    The Division - £60
    Watchdogs - £65 - WTF

No wonder they nearly went under recently. At those prices they deserve to!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    You can get the same game which costs £45 on console for £20-25 on PC. One of the reason's i'm going to get a front room mini PC instead of new consoles (for pretty much the same price).
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think mid forties would be ideal, creeping up towards high forties a few years in. Game prices have been static for years so I don't see a problem with them going up a little bit, but much higher than £50 and I would be out.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon have Need For Speed: Rivals limted edition on PS4 and Xbox One for £38.99.

Link
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everything is too expensive...

But launch prices for games don't actually seem to bad this time around, most are near current gen prices and we are certainly not seeing the normal launch period game price hikes of past generations.

Ok GAME seem to be taking the piss a bit, but shopping around will easily solve that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd expect games to be no higher than £45. Given that most current games launch at £40 an increase of more than 10% would be ridiculous.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    You can get the same game which costs £45 on console for £20-25 on PC. One of the reason's i'm going to get a front room mini PC instead of new consoles (for pretty much the same price).

That's the main reason I bought a gaming rig. I had saved up the dosh to get the new consoles but spent it on a PC instead.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that does worry me is the price of new games in the Playstation Store. You would think that with an almost zero cost base for delivery they would try and undercut the main retailers. However they seem happy to keep games at sky high prices. I wonder if this is an indication of a serious attempt by the big game companies to fix prices at a higher level.

I mean it is true that games are cheaper now than they have been for almost 25 years.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    £40 is okay, as long as the title is of a high quality and I can get at least 60 hours out of it!
    Anything more and the stuff really has to be special.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that does worry me is the price of new games in the Playstation Store. You would think that with an almost zero cost base for delivery they would try and undercut the main retailers. However they seem happy to keep games at sky high prices. I wonder if this is an indication of a serious attempt by the big game companies to fix prices at a higher level.
    It's not price fixing, it's about not pissing off the retailers who are the biggest route to market (retail sales far outweigh digital sales for home consoles). Retailers will refuse to stock PlayStation games if the digital store seriously undercuts them.

They did it in the US when Warhawk was released. The PS Store version was $20 cheaper on launch day and several large retail chains took stock off the shelves, forcing Sony to increase the digital price.

Retailers not being able to "cash in" on game sales (especially 2nd hand) is also the biggest reason why many around the world refused to stock the digital only PSP Go when it launched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way i look at it is

PS1 (1995) Vs PS4 (2013)

The cost of Bus Fare in 95 vs 2013
    The cost of Milk in 95 vs 2013
    The cost a can of coke in 95 vs 2013
    The cost of a Cinema ticket in 95 vs 2013
    what do all these and millions more have in common the price has risen an incredible amount

Now let's look at the price of PS1 games vs PS4 games (though admittedly at launch PS4 games might cost more)
    PS1 in 95 = 39.99, PS4 in 2013 = 39.99

I mean when you think about it the cost of gaming should be higher i mean literally every aspect on making a game costs millions upon millions of dollars more yet the games still cost the same, so when i see a thread questioning the cost of games i wonder how can you think its not value for money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    For the amount of money put into some of these games and the time, I think the prices are appropriate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Now let's look at the price of PS1 games vs PS4 games (though admittedly at launch PS4 games might cost more)

I mean when you think about it the cost of gaming should be higher i mean literally every aspect on making a game costs millions upon millions of dollars more yet the games still cost the same, so when i see a thread questioning the cost of games i wonder how can you think its not value for money

PS4 games are mostly more than 39.99.

The price might be the same but the market is so much bigger now meaning they get a much bigger return
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should be thankful that game prices haven't risen with inflation since the mid 90's.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Remember that if a site says a game is going to be this price and it turns out to be higher, they have to honour the lower price, but if it turns out to be lower, they can turn around and say "Hey, you know we were going to charge you so much? Now we're going to charge you £10 less!"

Retailers are hedging their bets and guessing high ahead of the actual launch. Take any price you see for PS4/XB1 games prior to launch with a pinch of salt.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Remember that if a site says a game is going to be this price and it turns out to be higher, they have to honour the lower price, but if it turns out to be lower, they can turn around and say "Hey, you know we were going to charge you so much? Now we're going to charge you £10 less!"

Retailers are hedging their bets and guessing high ahead of the actual launch. Take any price you see for PS4/XB1 games prior to launch with a pinch of salt.

I'll give you a cookie if you can find or quote the law which says such a thing ;)

I'll give you a clue, there is no such law so what you have typed is wrong unless the company has their own guarentee.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    I'll give you a cookie if you can find or quote the law which says such a thing ;)

I'll give you a clue, there is no such law so what you have typed is wrong unless the company has their own guarentee.

Therefore it's going to happen.

Even without a guarantee it'll still happen because most people who were told they'd be paying £40 and then wind up having to pay £50 suddenly cancel their order and pay £0.

Also, the second situation ("they can turn around and say...") sounds like a saving even though it isn't and looks like good PR, which is also why they're going down that road.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Therefore it's going to happen.

Even without a guarantee it'll still happen because most people who were told they'd be paying £40 and then wind up having to pay £50 suddenly cancel their order and pay £0.

Also, the second situation ("they can turn around and say...") sounds like a saving even though it isn't and looks like good PR, which is also why they're going down that road.

Why can't people just admit they are wrong these days.

You said -

"they have to honour the lower price"

Which is total nonsense. Please provide evidence that shows they HAVE to, and not will do. That was my point.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    The way i look at it is

PS1 (1995) Vs PS4 (2013)

The cost of Bus Fare in 95 vs 2013
    The cost of Milk in 95 vs 2013
    The cost a can of coke in 95 vs 2013
    The cost of a Cinema ticket in 95 vs 2013
    what do all these and millions more have in common the price has risen an incredible amount

imo if pc games are £30 ps4 should remain at £40 seeing as you can easily port from pc, so you dont have to spend millions and millions.

I noticed amazon prices dropped yesterday, those price are fine,. but shopto is still to high