Bored of iPhone - what smartphone should I get?

oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been an iPhone owner since 2009 and my current model is the 4S.

Back in 2009/2010 I felt quite lucky and 'special' about owning an iPhone, but nowadays it seems like every man and his dog owns one and quite frankly I'm just bored of it.

I'm looking to sell my 4S and get an exciting new phone that will be good for browsing the net, watching SkyGo and taking occasional photos.

Can anyone please give me some recommendations of models and deals? Please don't suggest an iPhone 5C/5S.... they leave me feeling stone cold.

Thanks,

Comments

• grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oatstie wrote: »

Back in 2009/2010 I felt quite lucky and 'special' about owning an iPhone, but nowadays it seems like every man and his dog owns one and quite frankly I'm just bored of it.

I'm looking to sell my 4S and get an exciting new phone that will be good for browsing the net, watching SkyGo and taking occasional photos.

Can anyone please give me some recommendations of models and deals? Please don't suggest an iPhone 5C/5S.... they leave me feeling stone cold.

Thanks,
    If SkyGo is important, then you've got a choice of the phones it supports:

http://help.sky.com/tv/sky-tv-on-other-devices/sky-go-supported-devices#tab-3
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get used to having 2 software updates before you phone becomes obsolete. Gotta love Android lol
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the flagship phones are good, pop in to a mobile shop and have a play with them and go for the one you like best.

LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z1, HTC One... Or the soon to be released Nexus 5 are all good choices.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I would at least wait to see what the Nexus 5 is like before choosing a new phone. It ^could^ be out as early as next week!
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would consider the next Nexus device from Google.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently switched from iPhone to the Sony Xperia Z1 and I wasn't an android person but I really like the phone, its fast easy to use, feels well built, it is a 5 inch screen but you do get used to it and if you turn on stamina mode turn the brightness down slightly so its not full bright I usually go home with 40-60% of my battery still left.

Go into one of the shops that have it on display and see what you think
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Recently got the galaxy note 3.

It's amazing I can recommend it highly enough.
  • oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies so far.

The phone that's tempting me the most at the moment is the Xperia Z1. I like the fact that it's waterproof.

How does the Z1 compare to the 5S ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The phone that's tempting me the most at the moment is the Xperia Z1. I like the fact that it's waterproof.

Hardware wise it's far superior, and I'd say it's superior software wise as well. It runs Android, and I think the larger screen is a good thing as well, especially for watching movies, playing games etc.

The Z1 looks like a very impressive device. I don't have one personally though, so perhaps someone who does will go into more detail about what it's like in normal usage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem with Sony is their so slow at releasing software updates, I recently watched a YouTube video of someone trying to update their xperia z, it said "plug phone to be updated" he plugged it into the computer and it said something like "cannot update this phone" lol. Apparently he'd been trying for months and it doesn't work. None of that nonsense with an iphone, click on update and it does it wirelessly in 2 minutes.

iPhones might be getting abit long in the tooth but at least they work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    The only problem with Sony is their so slow at releasing software updates, I recently watched a YouTube video of someone trying to update their xperia z, it said "plug phone to be updated" he plugged it into the computer and it said something like "cannot update this phone" lol. Apparently he'd been trying for months and it doesn't work. None of that nonsense with an iphone, click on update and it does it wirelessly in 2 minutes.

Sony also put their devices on the AOSP channel, so those that care about updates could easily unlock the bootloader and update to the latest stock Android experience or install one of the various custom ROMs out there if Sony hasn't made the update available already.

At least with Android the user holds all the cards. :)
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

Just better.

I'd be tempted to give the G2 a go i think price is good and phone is very good also.
  • thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks,

I have a couple of Android phones...tbh I still prefer the way iOS works even though I like rooting and overclocking, and to some extent adding widgets, I still find iOS quicker and easier to do stuff.

If you change hang on to your 4S just in case....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebtman wrote: »
    I have a couple of Android phones...tbh I still prefer the way iOS works even though I like rooting and overclocking, and to some extent adding widgets, I still find iOS quicker and easier to do stuff.

If you change hang on to your 4S just in case....;)

Brilliant idea, when I switched to Android I only lasted 2 weeks until I got another iphone :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I havent had the iPhone 5S my old phone was iPhone 5 but comparing it to that well I really liked iPhone but needed to upgrade for 4G (I'm on Vodafone) so got the Xperia Z1 the reason why was because I felt I was getting better value for money.

I was a bit worried as I strayed from iPhone before to Samsung but didn't like it so I was expecting to feel similar but I don't. I also notice the quality of the apps have improved on Android since a year ago also duplicates of BBC apps have been removed.

I wouldn't rule out going back to iPhone again but right now I'm happy with the Z1.

From a spec point of view I would say the Z1 will be faster than the 5s as it seems its not much different than the iPhone 5 correct me if I'm wrong though.

If you are getting a new phone are you buying a contract or sim free phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are getting a new phone are you buying a contract or sim free phone?

Whichever way works out the cheapest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »

I had an update recently on my Z1 I was able to do it through my phone and the new kit kat software is due for the Z1 soon too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So almost certainly buy the phone outright and then get a sim only package.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bought mines sim free from Mobile Phones Direct for £509.99 it was the cheapest sim free at launch not sure if the price has dropped or not now but I'm on sim only £26 a month with Vodafone unlimited mins, texts and 6GB 4G if I had taken the same plan (on Vodafone) I would've had to pay £42 per month for 24 months and pay £19.99 up front.

Also to note I bought a 32GB micro SD card from PC World for £20 odds to extend my storage. I now have a 48GB phone. I was going to buy the micro SD on Amazon or eBay but was worried after the reviews of them being fakes and stopping working after a short time.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like somebody else said I'd be tempted with the LG G2 if I was not worried about a battery you can swap or option of SD card.

A very nice phone.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re updates - if at all possible buy a SIM free handset and thereby avoid the operator's take on the firmware - the network operators are usually the first to give up on updates - and I suspect that may have been the case in that YouTube video referenced earlier. Even some Carphone Warehouse 'unlocked' handsets have CPW firmware which prevents stock updates from being used.

A truly unlocked phone with stock firmware on it will typically get at least two years worth of updates - thereafter (when the warranty's expired anyway), it'll continue to be supported through custom ROMs if it's a popular model. You can still go down this route with a locked device should you so wish if you get it unlocked but I'd start with an unlocked SIM free model if it were me.

Yes, Z1 is a good choice if you still want a showy device - it backs that up with performance and specs too. As does the HTC One (the build is a specific highlight). The Note 3 is good if you want a cutting edge phone that you can comfortably watch video on and can live with the size.

As others have said, drop into a phone shop and fondle a few. Don't let the unfamiliarity of Android (initially) put you off as once you've got used to it you'll truly appreciate the things that separate it from iOS. It (and the apps) may lack a little of the iOS polish in places (not many though) but it more than makes up for it in flexibility and functionality if you invest the time to relearn a few things.

I'd certainly give the Nexus 5 a thought - you'll get a lot for your money and it'll be the first with updates and won't be in any danger of being abandoned in terms of updates if you buy a SIM free model direct from Google (launch expected next Tuesday).
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Re updates - if at all possible buy a SIM free handset and thereby avoid the operator's take on the firmware - the network operators are usually the first to give up on updates - and I suspect that may have been the case in that YouTube video referenced earlier. Even some Carphone Warehouse 'unlocked' handsets have CPW firmware which prevents stock updates from being used.

I totally agree about getting a SIM free phone to avoid carrier crapware. However you are wrong about updates. Typically SIM free phones get last as all of the carriers must approve the firmware
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought mines sim free from Mobile Phones Direct for £509.99 it was the cheapest sim free at launch not sure if the price has dropped or not now but I'm on sim only £26 a month with Vodafone unlimited mins, texts and 6GB 4G if I had taken the same plan (on Vodafone) I would've had to pay £42 per month for 24 months and pay £19.99 up front.

Also to note I bought a 32GB micro SD card from PC World for £20 odds to extend my storage. I now have a 48GB phone. I was going to buy the micro SD on Amazon or eBay but was worried after the reviews of them being fakes and stopping working after a short time.

Okay sim free, you are not under contract, and can alter whenever but if you kept the same for 2 years then the contract would be cheaper.

24 x £26 = £624.00 + £509.99 = £1133.99

24 x £42 = £1008.00 + £19.99 = £1027.99
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think alot of people are missing the point

its not easy to spend £500 on a phone in one go especially with xmas coming up. this is the main reason why contracts exists....

also if you can get the nexus 5 on a £25 a month contract....you may be on to a good deal.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I totally agree about getting a SIM free phone to avoid carrier crapware. However you are wrong about updates. Typically SIM free phones get last as all of the carriers must approve the firmware

The point was that although the carrier may bring out firmware for, say 12 months, when they stop the manufacturer will continue to produce firmware updates - even if a few operators are still on board the updates aren't too far apart.

That's been my experience, anyway - Orange firmware didn't seem to have too many generations before they stopped bothering altogether for my wife's Galaxy S - the last official UK generic firmware was around April 2012 and if my memory serves Orange had stopped quite a time before (happy to be corrected but that's my recollection).

I flashed a generic 2.3.5 (I think) and then was able to update to 2.3.6 via Kies. If I'd had a SIM free phone, I'd had got 2.3.6 without any need to flash the phone. Prior to doing that Kies refused to find any new updates for the Orange firmware from around end of 2011 or something.

It's over a year ago, so the specifics might be dodgy but the general point still stands.

I'm sure the Nexus 5 will be far easier ride updates-wise.