Price for fitting of laminate flooring

Would anyone be abl to give me a rough price for having someone fit laminate flooring please. It's a room 4m x 4m. Ive no idea how to price it up and whats fair.

Comments

• BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No real idea but I would guess it depends on how long it'll take and what manual labour rates are in your area.

How many doors are there ? Are the walls straight or will it take more work to cut the flooring to shapes of walls and doors ?

I would say get a couple of quotes (probably 3) and see how they compare.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I guess its the best way to go. While im on the subject do you think a decorator charging £160 a day is high?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are ypu removing the skirting boards ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clooney wrote: »
    Are ypu removing the skirting boards ?

Id like to have had them removed but due to being on a budget I have to opt for beading, which Im not happy about!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lambing wrote: »
    Id like to have had them removed but due to being on a budget I have to opt for beading, which Im not happy about!

I layed a floor and used beading. It stayed down for 1 month and I then ripped it up.
    It made the skirting board look so small and out of place.

If you can stretch your budget remove the skirting.

Remove it yourself and the price for laying the floor will be cheaper.

Get a quote with beading. Then ask for a quote if you removed the skirting. You will be surprised.
  • insaneladinsanelad Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    £160 a day for a decorator is on the high side, but depends where you live I guess.

In my part of Essex, £120/£130 a day is more usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    insanelad wrote: »
    £160 a day for a decorator is on the high side, but depends where you live I guess.

In my part of Essex, £120/£130 a day is more usual.

I think so too. However - the decorator put me in touch with a floor fitter who has just left and the quote is great. So its swings and roundabouts I guess.

Even better, hes looked at my wooden floor and said it would be shame to put an inferior product on it so is sanding and finishing it for me. I get to keep the original floor for less. (£220 cash) Im quite a happy bunny now! :)

Thanks for the advice too Clooney.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think so too. However - the decorator put me in touch with a floor fitter who has just left and the quote is great. So its swings and roundabouts I guess.

Even better, hes looked at my wooden floor and said it would be shame to put an inferior product on it so is sanding and finishing it for me. I get to keep the original floor for less. (£220 cash) Im quite a happy bunny now! :)

Thanks for the advice too Clooney.

Well that's good news. Good price to for the floor.

Decorator around here is about £140 a day
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Would anyone be abl to give me a rough price for having someone fit laminate flooring please. It's a room 4m x 4m. Ive no idea how to price it up and whats fair.

A lot more info needed but...

Doing it yourself with fairly cheap materials I'd expect about £150.

Double it if you get a tradesman in and treble it and more if you want decent quality stuff.

Should still be under £500 but this is just a guess. Start with pricing up 16SqM of flooring on a website and don't forget underlay, tools, beading on top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    A lot more info needed but...

Doing it yourself with fairly cheap materials I'd expect about £150.

Double it if you get a tradesman in and treble it and more if you want decent quality stuff.

Should still be under £500 but this is just a guess. Start with pricing up 16SqM of flooring on a website and don't forget underlay, tools, beading on top.

Since my original posts, a few more posts have been sent and will explain in more detail.

Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I'd want a bloody good decorator and expect alot of work done for a decorator charging £150 a day.

I think all tradesman have gotten away with taking the pee a bit in regard to prices over the last 10 or so years. If there is one thing good to come out of this 'credit crunch' it will mean tradesman will be forced to lower there prices to compete....they will still be well paid but just not at crazy levels I know many have been charging.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband is 'in the trade' and fits laminate floor amongst many other things.

His rate is £100 a day, and if he says a job will take one day then thats the price you pay, even if he works into the evening to finish.

A job like yours could be done in a day unless you did want the skirtings replaced, in which case I'd say 2 days. :) But my hubby wouldn't charge for a second whole day if it only took an extra morning.

It *does* look so much better if you replace the skirtings btw. :) All down to budget though, I guess!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Our painter charged 100.00 a day which is plenty as I doubt he pays tax on it (no paperwork).
    I did get the paint myself as I knew "warm off white" would end up as cheap and nasty magnolia otherwise.

(I know the OP said laminate flooring, but other posters have mentioned decorating).
  • Dave23Dave23 Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    When we were looking at laminate flooring recently in Floors-2-go we asked one of the sales guys about fitting he said it should cost around £8 per square meter if beading was used
  • BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave23 wrote: »
    When we were looking at laminate flooring recently in Floors-2-go we asked one of the sales guys about fitting he said it should cost around £8 per square meter if beading was used

OT - Floors-2-go have just gone bankrupt. I think the shops have been taken over but a few will be closing down so probably some bargains to be had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paid a young lad £100 a day labour (2 days) to fit a laminate floor to my kitchen (approx 4 x 4 metres) including skirting boards. He did an extremely professional job and it's just as good 2 years later.