Long-time gamers - do you miss the sound-chip days?

gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
Forum Member
Having been into gaming since the beginning and now revisiting my past with emulators, I realise how many great tunes that were made and I miss the sound chips and how they were as much a part of the spec I looked at as anything else.
Pinnacle for me has to be the Amiga.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I miss Soft N Cuddly.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i miss sid
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod the game noises, I miss the tape loading sounds...
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I let the emulators do the full-tape load even though it does take a few minutes just for nostalgia purposes! And at least with the emulator I don't get tape loading errors.
  • 0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I prefer retro music over the big cinematic over the top stuff we get a lot these days. I find it much more fun to play along too (or even to listen to by itself :p).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Sometimes I let the emulators do the full-tape load even though it does take a few minutes just for nostalgia purposes! And at least with the emulator I don't get tape loading errors.
    I'm not the only one, then. ;)

I recently bought Soulless for the C64 as a digital download for playing on an emulator. There's a cartridge image, a disk image and a tape image. I played the tape image. Why? Because it has a kick-arse loading tune! :D
    Damn I love the retro scene. :cool:
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Tape loading TUNE? How does that work?

I've always wondered why loading data makes noise of any sort, can anyone explain?
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Having been into gaming since the beginning and now revisiting my past with emulators, I realise how many great tunes that were made and I miss the sound chips and how they were as much a part of the spec I looked at as anything else.
    Pinnacle for me has to be the Amiga.

I still have a working Amiga A1200 with 540mb(huge for the time) hard drive.

Think you might like this if you are into old sound chips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yer !!
    Even relive how long it took to load Rambo from tape. lolz

I digged that loading tune. martin galway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NmknHO0J4I&feature=related