Girl's Aloud 2002-2013 - What will their lasting legacy be in the industry ?

Comments

• SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their legacy will be to be fill charity shop CD racks, when their fans grow up and discard them - like so many pop acts before them.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Big Reunion in how many years do we reckon?

I never rated Girls Aloud, they had a few fairly decent songs but that was it IMO. My favourite girl groups are/were B*witched and Sugababes (until Keisha was kicked out). Today I am a happy bunny! :)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    zummigummi wrote: »
    None really other than having like 21 top 10s however can the average person name more than 10 of those songs? I doubt it

I'm afraid they will be remembered for being Cheryl Cole's band she was once in.

They will never be regarded as icons like the Spice Girls. The impact they made just wasn't that big and only Cheryl being in them has kept them from being just another Atomic Kitten.

Gonna have to take you up on that challenge I'm in no way a girls aloud fan, they are good but that's it's.

Sound of the underground, biology, Untouchable, Sexy No No No, Can't Speak French, Something New, Love Machine, Beautiful Cause You Loved Me, Jump and Call The Shots.

Dunno how I managed that...
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're a good pop band who had a brilliant, consistent song writing team. Xenomania cleverly followed whatever the trend was at the time (80s sound, guitar driven, 60s retro) and did it well

But even as someone who really likes their music - I think their impact is totally overrated; something this reunion has really highlighted.

They made good pop music; nothing more, nothing less, and that's how they should be remembered. :)
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Girls Aloud will be remembered as the best British/Irish girl band but they appeal more to a certain age group.
    Even though the music isn't the best but at that time with the charts in the 00s Girls Aloud really appealed to any girls growing up in the 00s who would've grown up listening to the songs. They were brilliant songs back then. I've always loved Girls Aloud but I grew up listening to them . The only other Girl bands back then I liked were Spice Girls , Sugababes and Atomic Kitten. Girls Aloud were my favourite though.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    They'll be remembered for not being as big as the Spice Girls.

agreed, but tbh i prefered ga material to tsg.
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    They're a good pop band who had a brilliant, consistent song writing team. Xenomania cleverly followed whatever the trend was at the time (80s sound, guitar driven, 60s retro) and did it well

But even as someone who really likes their music - I think their impact is totally overrated; something this reunion has really highlighted.

They made good pop music; nothing more, nothing less, and that's how they should be remembered. :)

this.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Biology being one of the best pop songs of a decade. GA have released a string of incredibly good pop songs. Their only weak singles are their covers aside from Jump which is also pretty fantastic.

Yeah their covers were pretty crap and so were their ballads (apart from Life Got Cold). I guess they were better at mid-tempo/upbeat songs than ballads.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were always there as a presence but I never thought they were huge, and hey - they were still from a reality TV show.

I would never have said in any of the years they were big they were in the top 5 biggest or best-known acts of the year, having said that they were always there in the background becoming a bit of a household name. And they made friendly, unoffensive pop music. I really only like The Loving Kind of theirs, Call The Shots, and Untouchable, but then I've always been more a fan of chillout electronica than pop music on the whole ;)

Their legacy? That some reality TV show acts can go on to continued success, that promotion and image is everything for a pop act, and that a good production and songwriting company does you all manner of favours. Lets face it, 3 years down the line Pitbull will be remaking one of their songs with a shouty rap and the chorus instrumentalised with synths, #futurepopgem
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You people are shocking really:yawn::yawn:
    Of course they'll be remembered. I tell you now they'll be remembered alot more than the Sugababes, The Saturdays, Stooshe, Little Mix, All Saints or whatever. Ten years of success and for maintaining it for the way they have is incredible, is not only iconic but outstanding.

For ten years they where a slick pop tour de force that was a smooth operating machine of perfection. Also, they are a serious success story. They proved how working hard and consistently releasing amazing singles and albums obviously thanks to Xenomenia's hard work can help you work yourself from the small kids fans to a broad spectrum of fans- go to one of their tours, you'll now find recently there's every demographic possible. If anything they must be commended for their hard work (they aren't a boyband where females flock in their millions even if you release crap) they have had to won people over, and they seriously did. Second only to the Spice Girls, they are the biggest and best girl/female group of our time and no one can deny that.

They are record breakers:
    1. The girl group in the UK with the most top 10's - 21
    2. The girl group in the UK with the most consecutive top ten hits - 20. No other band is even close to breaking that record.
    3. The first girl band to debut at number 1:confused:
    4. The most successful reality tv group in the world crowned in 2011, yes i know One Direction but in terms of longevity...
    5. The first band in the UK to have a christmas number 1 with their debut single
    6. The quickest any band has gone from being formed to getting a number 1
    7. The most successful british female group of the 21st century in terms of single sales - The Saturdays aren't even close
    8. Sold 8.5 million records consisting 4 number 1 singles and 2 number 1 albums - they sold 4 million singles and albums.
    9. Their greatest hits record sold 1.2 million copies in the UK.
    10. Nominated for five brit awards - for best pop act, for best performance, best group twice, performed at the Brits and won a well deserved Brit for The Promise.
    11. All five studio albums went at least platinum.
    12. They have headlined and played over 100 arena tour dates in their time, and sold an incredible One million tour tickets in total. Lets see The Sats, Sugababes, LM, Stooshe do that shall we?!:rolleyes:
    13. They did what none of the above have done, which is established them selves as individuals in the media which is not easy to do.
    14. Basically they're incredible - no other girl band does what girls aloud do, they've been given a sound and really no other pop group could pull it off. It's not easy being a girl band. It is if you're a boy band you can churn out any old crap 'The Club Is Alive' and it'll go Number 1. Girls Aloud have done some amazing songs that cannot be knocked Biology, The Promise, Sound Of The Underground, Love Machine, Something Kinda Oooh, Something New, I'll Stand By You, Call The Shots and The Show.They have released possibly the finest collection of singles from a female group that i can name of. Their entire back catalogue is nothing short than amazing. Even their album tracks are amazing. Listen to the other girl bands album it's just FILLER FILLER FILLER bar the singles.

The line up. They got lucky. That line up is perfect, without one member it'd be a totally different band. They're down to earth. Unlike other bands they managed to 'get on' and whilst i'm sure they had their disputes and disagreements never 'exploded'.

They are this is my opinion the best pop band in the world. For all their accomplishments. For all their amazing discography. Their tours are incredible slick shows. Really as good as a pop group gets. Girls Aloud achieved alot and they have been flying the flag for pop for ten years and that is with overcoming and beating negativity which the current pop groups are not facing - so many pop bands have come and gone, but they haven't because they put on great shows, had great determination at the start of the band to make this work and have been pretty damn amazing throughout. They became a household name that brands wanted to be associated with. I reckon if there was an award for outstanding contribution to Pop music they'd be the first band the organizers would think of.

Seriously, they should have been huge everywhere Europe and the USA, because they where good enough to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You people are shocking really:yawn::yawn:
    Of course they'll be remembered. I tell you now they'll be remembered alot more than the Sugababes, The Saturdays, Stooshe, Little Mix, All Saints or whatever. Ten years of success and for maintaining it for the way they have is incredible, is not only iconic but outstanding.

For ten years they where a slick pop tour de force that was a smooth operating machine of perfection. Also, they are a serious success story. They proved how working hard and consistently releasing amazing singles and albums obviously thanks to Xenomenia's hard work can help you work yourself from the small kids fans to a broad spectrum of fans- go to one of their tours, you'll now find recently there's every demographic possible. If anything they must be commended for their hard work (they aren't a boyband where females flock in their millions even if you release crap) they have had to won people over, and they seriously did. Second only to the Spice Girls, they are the biggest and best girl/female group of our time and no one can deny that.

They are record breakers:
    1. The girl group in the UK with the most top 10's - 21
    2. The girl group in the UK with the most consecutive top ten hits - 20. No other band is even close to breaking that record.
    3. The first girl band to debut at number 1:confused:
    4. The most successful reality tv group in the world crowned in 2011, yes i know One Direction but in terms of longevity...
    5. The first band in the UK to have a christmas number 1 with their debut single
    6. The quickest any band has gone from being formed to getting a number 1
    7. The most successful british female group of the 21st century in terms of single sales - The Saturdays aren't even close
    8. Sold 8.5 million records consisting 4 number 1 singles and 2 number 1 albums - they sold 4 million singles and albums.
    9. Their greatest hits record sold 1.2 million copies in the UK.
    10. Nominated for five brit awards - for best pop act, for best performance, best group twice, performed at the Brits and won a well deserved Brit for The Promise.
    11. All five studio albums went at least platinum.
    12. They have headlined and played over 100 arena tour dates in their time, and sold an incredible One million tour tickets in total. Lets see The Sats, Sugababes, LM, Stooshe do that shall we?!:rolleyes:
    13. They did what none of the above have done, which is established them selves as individuals in the media which is not easy to do.
    14. Basically they're incredible - no other girl band does what girls aloud do, they've been given a sound and really no other pop group could pull it off. It's not easy being a girl band. It is if you're a boy band you can churn out any old crap 'The Club Is Alive' and it'll go Number 1. Girls Aloud have done some amazing songs that cannot be knocked Biology, The Promise, Sound Of The Underground, Love Machine, Something Kinda Oooh, Something New, I'll Stand By You, Call The Shots and The Show.They have released possibly the finest collection of singles from a female group that i can name of. Their entire back catalogue is nothing short than amazing. Even their album tracks are amazing. Listen to the other girl bands album it's just FILLER FILLER FILLER bar the singles.

The line up. They got lucky. That line up is perfect, without one member it'd be a totally different band. They're down to earth. Unlike other bands they managed to 'get on' and whilst i'm sure they had their disputes and disagreements never 'exploded'.

They are this is my opinion the best pop band in the world. For all their accomplishments. For all their amazing discography. Their tours are incredible slick shows. Really as good as a pop group gets. Girls Aloud achieved alot and they have been flying the flag for pop for ten years and that is with overcoming and beating negativity which the current pop groups are not facing - so many pop bands have come and gone, but they haven't because they put on great shows, had great determination at the start of the band to make this work and have been pretty damn amazing throughout. They became a household name that brands wanted to be associated with. I reckon if there was an award for outstanding contribution to Pop music they'd be the first band the organizers would think of.

Seriously, they should have been huge everywhere Europe and the USA, because they where good enough to.

most of those achievements are down to the way they were marketed in the 00's. girldgroups of the 90's and earlier hadnt a tv show to launch their career, the hype and promotion behind ga is probably second to none.

the spicegirls beat that by a mile without a tv talent show to promote and boost, so whos to say that eternal, all saints, bananarama given the same environment wouldnt also have racked up those stats?

eternal, allsaints, bananarama id suggest are more respected, having more input and influence into their material.

girls aloud were pop puppets, very successful, and just about my fav girlgroup...so im not a 'hater', but they have left no legacy, they didnt change anything or pave any new path.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    They paved the way for The Saturdays to take over.

The Saturdays are too bland. Even a 'reality' show with a script can't inject any personality into them. If their next single doesn't blow everyone away they may as well give up.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their lack of any real vocal talent.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    No disrespect to their fans but they're not iconic in any way, shape or form. The truth is loyal fans will remember them, others won't...

This, they were never big in the industry as it was, they will go the same way as amtomic kitten tbh.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    they released great pop music, expertly crafted by Xenomania, which received unprecedented critical acclaim...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you mean Xenomanias legacy :sleep:
  • LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind Girls Aloud's music as they made some good pop music, I found it a bit mean that when the media were reporting on the Ten Tour they just focused on Cheryl all the time, There were 5 girls in the group not just one :confused:

Sorry if that sounds a bit nit-picking

Nikki:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    mushymanrob

If you think it's plain and simple you come from a tv show with hype and go on to do well then think again. Many many reality tv winners and acts have not done well in music, and flopped later down the line. Girls Aloud did not. otv had the same exposure and flopped why? It all started with an amazing song Sound of the underground and after that put out nothing but amazing songs.

Their success is due to everything they did after the tv show. The tv show didn't help them that much anyway. The popstars the rivals tour got cancelled due to poor ticket sales....Ten years later and they've sold 1 million tour tickets all by themselves, why is that? because they got pretty damn good and won people over by their media perfect personalities and amazing singles and albums - i know xenomenia wrote everything and deserve alot of credit, but without the perfect lineup it wouldn't have worked - and they where as good as girl group line ups get.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    They'll be remembered for not being as big as the Spice Girls.

In the UK they were bigger than the Spice Girls
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Aloud did the best they could with the songs they were given to sing, the rest was down to them putting on a show and a couple of them ending up with a higher profile, through their relationships and lifestyle.
    A bit like Bananarama but with more members, they never did much in the way of songwriting or being passionate about what music they did.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think their longevity was one of the biggest factors and their ability to survive through 2005-2006's indie phase with Chemistry which imo is one of the greatest pop albums ever made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    In the UK they were bigger than the Spice Girls

LMAO deluded? Just because they lasted longer does not mean they were bigger.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me their true legacy is how (in stark contrast to the Spice Girls) they failed miserably to sell many records outside of Great Britain & Ireland.

Probably, because when they tried to break (or get signed internationally) to a major label those global record labels saw nothing unique or special about them, due to firstly not having the Reality TV backstory (E.G. the USA had Eden's Crush from Popstars USA ... whatever happened to their lead singer LOL); and later on one of them got associated with an English Premiership Footballer who lacked the glamour and presence of David Beckham; whom later Princess Dianafied herself via some highly effective PR skills after their relationship acrimoniously imploded.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMAO deluded? Just because they lasted longer does not mean they were bigger.

Spice Girls bigger worldwide Girls Aloud bigger in the UK there is no question of this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Spice Girls bigger worldwide Girls Aloud bigger in the UK there is no question of this

how were they?

the spice girls outsold ga
    the spice girls inspired a generation of young women
    the spice girls only had 2 singles not to reach #1 and they reached #2.

and hey, i prefer ga to tsp...
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Girls Aloud only once made 1 of my top 20 songs of the year (Biology in 2005), I found most of their songs distinctive. I think I know more GA than Sugababes songs for example. Even the Saturdays seem more stuck with one sound now than GA ever were.