Speed Awareness Course vs Fine and Points

CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
Forum Member
Speed Awareness Course vs Fine and Points is a theme in many of the threads where someone has been captured exceeding the speed limit.

So, it'll likely be of interest to some to learn that now, at least one, insurance company requires to be notified if one has been on such a course and admitting to same results in a premium increase.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860
Drivers who attend a speed awareness course instead of taking a fine and points on their licence may see their insurance premiums increase.

The BBC has learned that Admiral is treating it as if it were a conviction, even though the police do not.

If there is evidence that attending and participating in a Speed Awareness Course improves a driver's attitude and prevents re-offending, this seems to me to be a 'money grabbing exercise' by the insurer(s). But if the courses don't work, then it's likely an inevitable consequence.

It's
Our claims statistics show that drivers who have committed a speeding offence could be a higher risk than drivers who do not commit speeding offences.

versus
An independent survey, commissioned by Acpo, of more than 2,000 people who had taken a speed awareness course, found that 99% of drivers claimed to have changed their behaviour as a result of attending.

I tend towards 'money grabbing insurance company(ies)'

Comments

• MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member
    Just been reading this.
    There may be an attitude by Admiral customers that they think the speed awareness course is a "Get out of jail free" card" so they may be more likely to speed again.

Personally I think a single speed awareness course shouldn't push up your premiums unless you are subsequently caught speeding again. In which case it's clear the course did not work and your premiums are loaded accordingly.
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member

Personally I think a single speed awareness course shouldn't push up your premiums unless you are subsequently caught speeding again. In which case it's clear the course did not work and your premiums are loaded accordingly.

I agree. One should be made to declare if one has attended a Speed Awareness Course if subsequently caught speeding within the time limit for not being offered another shot at a Speed Awareness Course.. That would seem to be fair to those who learn from the course.

EDIT: Added the "within the time limit" wording.
  • citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Speed Awareness Course vs Fine and Points is a theme in many of the threads where someone has been captured exceeding the speed limit.

So, it'll likely be of interest to some to learn that now, at least one, insurance company requires to be notified if one has been on such a course and admitting to same results in a premium increase.

If there is evidence that attending and participating in a Speed Awareness Course improves a driver's attitude and prevents re-offending, this seems to me to be a 'money grabbing exercise' by the insurer(s). But if the courses don't work, then it's likely an inevitable consequence.

It's

versus

I tend towards 'money grabbing insurance company(ies)'

Easily avoided by not speeding.

I speed on motorways and am happy to accept the consequences if i ever receive a ticket but to date, after 15 years and many hundreds of thousands of miles, have never had one.

That said, if i did and i opted for the course or the points i would expect my insurer to want to know and for it to affect premiums.

There is no legitimate arguement against this.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »

I found that article confusing. It's not clear whether the company would still increase premiums for people who take the points:
    • Accept 3 points and fine: Premiums increase or not?
    • Take speed awareness course: Premiums increase.
    • Not get caught: premiums stay the same.
    Besides which, I understood that insurance companies weren't that bothered about 3 points on a licence (since nearly everyone has them/has had them, and the risk profile of three quarters of the population can just change overnight).
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The argument is that someone caught by camera once, is more likely to take care in the future.

And someone taking a speed awareness course, will learn how to drive more patiently and safely.

This company is out to penalise those drivers, while those who manage not to get caught (by slowing down while passing the camera, or there happened to be a bus in front at the time), and will continue to speed, are rewarded by their premiums staying the same.

(It will anyway backfire by people keeping well away from that company in future and insuring with someone else.)
    Forum Member

That said, if i did and i opted for the course or the points i would expect my insurer to want to know and for it to affect premiums.

I disagree. The legitimate argument is that of increasing driver awareness and hopefully reducing re-offending by hoping to bias choice towards taking the course.
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »

Besides which, I understood that insurance companies weren't that bothered about 3 points on a licence (since nearly everyone has them/has had them, and the risk profile of three quarters of the population can just change overnight).

I, too, understood that to be the position, but maybe that has changed over recent years. I just don't know. Perhaps someone with recent experience will chip in.