Dynasty Revival

Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
Forum Member
With the success of the new version of Dallas ; I think it's time they revived it's rival show in the 80's. I know some cast members have died but there are still a lot of the original run's stars who could return specifically Joan Collins. I mean she made that show.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been plans to do so and Joan collins has said she would sign in a heartbeat to play Alexis again.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they were supposed to be doing a prequel set in the '60s. Which if done right would be visually stunning.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Yes I've heard plans for both but still waiting for these ideas to be brought to full fruition. If the continuation series does go ahead I really hope they bring Stephanie Beacham back as Sable Colby as her sparring matches with Alexis/ Joan truly made Season 9 unmissable. I actually prefer Sable over Krystle as a rival to Alexis. Sable gave as good as she got ; Alexis really met her match in her nemesis Sable.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    It just wouldn't work without John Forsythe same as the new Dallas will now die on its arse without Larry Hagman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just wouldn't work without John Forsythe same as the new Dallas will now die on its arse without Larry Hagman.

Im not so sure, JR was Dallas you are quite right, but it was Alexis that was Dynasty, not Blake.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see this happen. Dynasty was always a John Forsythe vehicle true, but I think moving it into this century it would work a lot better as an ensemble removing the sole focus from the Alexis/Krystle. I think it would be good to see Jeff take on the show's 'anchor' role that Blake fulfilled, and build the show from there.

I'd like Jeff and Fallon's marriage to have survived the years, and LB and Lauren will now be all grown up. Fallon should be played by Pamela Sue Martin ideally, I never took to Emma Samms' Fallon. Adam (Gordon Thomson) and Kirby shouldn't be together, their reunion in the 1991 finale was ludicrous seeing as he once raped her. I'd love to see Adam with Sammy Jo instead, the fire there would be perfect. Steven (Jack Coleman) and Bart Fallmont will have stayed together, it would be nice if they went on to have a family of their own too. Not sure if I'd want Amanda back as a regular, certainly not if they can't get back Catherine Oxenberg, but it'd be nice to see her in a guest capacity stirring things up possibly having morphed into her mother. Alexis, Krystle, Sable, Dex and Dominique also need to return to head up the elders, and I'd love to see Caress and Clay Fallmont too. Hope Ted McGinley's still as hot! :D
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WLB wrote: »
    Im not so sure, JR was Dallas you are quite right, but it was Alexis that was Dynasty, not Blake.

Agreed, that JR's equivalent was Alexis. Blake was more of a Jock Ewing character, but lasted longer.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephanie Beacham was being interviewed on TV a couple of months ago (I honestly can't remember who the interviewer was though), and she said she & Joan Collins had spoken to each other about playing the characters again. She said they were both up for it.

The one stumbling block I can think of is that Joan Collins has stated many times that she will never work with Linda Evans again, but I think the show could survive without Krystal anyway to be honest.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judas82 wrote: »
    With the success of the new version of Dallas ; I think it's time they revived it's rival show in the 80's. I know some cast members have died but there are still a lot of the original run's stars who could return specifically Joan Collins. I mean she made that show.

I'd sure watch!:)
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Colby (John James) was gorgeous.
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were supposed to be doing a prequel set in the '60s. Which if done right would be visually stunning.

The Shapiros who created the original series were talking about it at one point but nothing has come of it which may be no bad thing. The idea seemed rather flimsy and the 60's setting seemed only to be an attempt to jump on the Mad Men bandwagon which hasn't proven successful for other recent series like Pan Am and The Playboy Club. Hardcore fans would have also been up in arms as the prequel rewrote the original show's history by having Blake only discover in the 60's that he was a Carrington heir rather than being part of the Carrington family all of his life like the original storyline.
    I'd love to see this happen. Dynasty was always a John Forsythe vehicle true, but I think moving it into this century it would work a lot better as an ensemble removing the sole focus from the Alexis/Krystle. I think it would be good to see Jeff take on the show's 'anchor' role that Blake fulfilled, and build the show from there.

I'd like Jeff and Fallon's marriage to have survived the years, and LB and Lauren will now be all grown up. Fallon should be played by Pamela Sue Martin ideally, I never took to Emma Samms' Fallon. Adam (Gordon Thomson) and Kirby shouldn't be together, their reunion in the 1991 finale was ludicrous seeing as he once raped her. I'd love to see Adam with Sammy Jo instead, the fire there would be perfect. Steven (Jack Coleman) and Bart Fallmont will have stayed together, it would be nice if they went on to have a family of their own too. Not sure if I'd want Amanda back as a regular, certainly not if they can't get back Catherine Oxenberg, but it'd be nice to see her in a guest capacity stirring things up possibly having morphed into her mother. Alexis, Krystle, Sable, Dex and Dominique also need to return to head up the elders, and I'd love to see Caress and Clay Fallmont too. Hope Ted McGinley's still as hot! :D

I've said it on here before that Dynasty was the 80's soap that could be most feasibly revived as most of the cast was still intact ie: haven't disappeared off into obscurity (Falcon Crest) or facelifted themselves beyond recognition (Knots Landing - although Linda Evans was looking a bit startled there for a while). Heather Locklear, Jack Coleman, John James, Gordon Thomson, Emma Samms, Catherine Oxenberg, Linda Evans, Joan Collins, Stephanie Beacham and Diahann Carroll all still have active enough careers so they wouldn't look too rusty if they were regrouped for a revival series (some of the minor Dallas returnees have suffered this issue having not acted much since the original).

The premise that I would like to see is the family reuniting for Blake's funeral and will reading. Fallon and Jeff (remarried again) have been running the business for years alongside Steven (in a relationship with Bart) and Adam (married to Sammy Jo). Amanda who has been absent from their lives for years, is left an equal share and decides to stay in Denver causing tension between herself and sister Fallon and former nemesis Sammy Jo. Steven being the good guy as always decides to support her decision while Adam sees this as the opportunity to gain a new ally in the business as a power struggles begins as Adam tries to oust Jeff who Blake has stipulated will be CEO following his death. The younger generation is made up of Fallon's kids LB (hardworking businessman) and Lauren (Tamara Ecclestone-esque party girl with little interest in business), Sammy Jo's son Danny (playboy) and Blake and Krystle's daughter Krystina (hardworking but naive businesswoman). Of the older crowd, I'd like to see Alexis, Dominique, Krystle and Sable as sharp tongued Lucille Bluth-esque ladies who lunch while providing counsel to their children ad grandchildren.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »

The one stumbling block I can think of is that Joan Collins has stated many times that she will never work with Linda Evans again, but I think the show could survive without Krystal anyway to be honest.

The actresses have worked together on stage since. However Krystle was always a difficult character for the writers to create stories for as she was simply too nice and there's no drama in this characteristic. So maybe limit her to guest appearances. Also Linda Evans no longer looks like Linda Evans .......... I really don't want a Val Ewing/ Joan Van Ark situation. In the New Dallas she looked younger than her character's daughter Lucy. Bizzare.