Cameron and food banks

Comments

• Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Well they're not starving, are they ?
    They are being given food to tide them over.
    What's the problem?

You cannot use a food bank everyday, or every week. You are given access at the whim of your betters.
    Better still would be to give them money so they could buy food.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    You cannot use a food bank everyday, or every week. You are given access at the whim of your betters.

or give food vouchers, so that food is purchased rather than other items. starving families don't need **** and booze.

**please note, not all starving families would spend money or vouchers on booze and ****, so please don't anyone bother trying to spin my words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or give food vouchers, so that food is purchased rather than other items. starving families don't need **** and booze.

**please note, not all starving families would spend money or vouchers on booze and ****, so please don't anyone bother trying to spin my words.

Why not use those easy to use vouchers called money?
    As for your other point , if you acknowledge that it is flawed, why post it.?
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not get gastric bands fitted so they eat less, then they can save enough for a pouch of tobaco, if they want. I would prefare they had bells fitted so we can hear them coming and cross the street to avoid being mugged.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    So your thread isn't about food banks at all. It is just another opportunity to say spiteful things about Cameron.

so you're saying that people cannot say spiteful things about cameron. why is that as lotd of us do think he is a spiteful man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not use those easy to use vouchers called money?
    As for your other point , if you acknowledge that it is flawed, why post it.?

because as has already been seen, in areas where social housing tenants have been given the rent money (instead of the landlords), more families have gone into rent arrears - so where has the rent money gone? would you also trust these families to spend food money, on food? i wouldn't.

twogunthom wrote: »
    Why not get gastric bands fitted so they eat less, then they can save enough for a pouch of tobaco, if they want. I would prefare they had bells fitted so we can hear them coming and cross the street to avoid being mugged.

i love sarcasm. it is sarcasm, isn't it?
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member

People who use them only need to for a short period & then, in the case of new claimants, they are given money to buy whatever they want.
    Before they were given a giro check and had to pay it back.
    It's not case of given access on the whim of betters either.Whereas the previous method of crisis loans was a major hoop jumping exercise.
    You really come out with some crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because as has already been seen, in areas where social housing tenants have been given the rent money (instead of the landlords), more families have gone into rent arrears - so where has the rent money gone? would you also trust these families to spend food money, on food? i wouldn't.

i love sarcasm. it is sarcasm, isn't it?

If they never spent any money on food they would all be dead by now, wouldn't they? Crisis loans for living expenses and emergency payments are not extra amounts on top of benefits, they are reduced amounts instead of benefits. My local council will be continuing to provide crisis loans, but they will no longer be interest free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dotty1 wrote: »
    If they never spent any money on food they would all be dead by now, wouldn't they? Crisis loans for living expenses and emergency payments are not extra amounts on top of benefits, they are reduced amounts instead of benefits. My local council will be continuing to provide crisis loans, but they will no longer be interest free.

well thats an obvious statement isn't it?

i don't know why you mention the rest of your post? is it aimed at another poster?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well thats an obvious statement isn't it?

i don't know why you mention the rest of your post? is it aimed at another poster?

I though it an appropriate response to your ridiculous idea that hungry families won't spend their money on food.

The rest of my post is for you and others. You mentioned social housing tenants not spending their housing benefit money on paying the rent, and my point was that crisis loans for living expenses and emergency payments are not extra amounts on top of benefits needed to buy food, but smaller amounts of money intended to cover the same costs. Tenants using their housing benefit for things other than rent is a completely different argument.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who use them only need to for a short period & then, in the case of new claimants, they are given money to buy whatever they want.
    It's not case of given access on the whim of betters either.Whereas the previous method of crisis loans was a major hoop jumping exercise.

Given that the use of food banks has more than doubled in the past couple of years, they are a part of the false idea this disastrous government have led people to believe, that their is no other alternative to austerity.

Not many people still agree with them today, so why are some still making excuses for their actions that lead to a more divided country?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dotty1 wrote: »
    I though it an appropriate response to your ridiculous idea that hungry families won't spend their money on food.

The rest of my post is for you and others. You mentioned social housing tenants not spending their housing benefit money on paying the rent, and my point was that crisis loans for living expenses and emergency payments are not extra amounts on top of benefits needed to buy food, but smaller amounts of money intended to cover the same costs. Tenants using their housing benefit for things other than rent is a completely different argument.

you are generalising. thats why i said some families. please don't generalise. my point is a valid point, backed up by the similar situation as to who now receives the rental money in certain areas, and that rent arrears have increased in those areas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    backed up by the similar situation as to who now receives the rental money in certain areas, and that rent arrears have increased in those areas.

Maybe they have more pressing debts to pay off first. Loan sharks (for example) come to mind so prioritising which debts to pay off first might be a healthy decision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is about social control, that is why "call me Dave " was crowing about it. Open your eyes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because as has already been seen, in areas where social housing tenants have been given the rent money (instead of the landlords), more families have gone into rent arrears - so where has the rent money gone? would you also trust these families to spend food money, on food? i wouldn't.it?
    Who are these families ? You do love to generalise, don't you, as it suits your agenda. Could we have some facts rather than your assumptions from reading the Daily Mail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are these families ? You do love to generalise, don't you, as it suits your agenda. Could we have some facts rather than your assumptions from reading the Daily Mail.

who are these families?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21725686

quote from the article:
    Tenants in south Wales taking part in a trial of the UK government's benefits reforms have seen rent arrears rise seven-fold to £140,000 in seven months.

Landlords in the pilot area in Torfaen warn evictions could increase if the trend continues after the system for paying benefits is fully adopted.

Housing benefit is currently paid to the landlord but it will transfer to the claimant under the reforms.

i love to generalise?

please show me where i have generalised - you know, where i have said that all people in any certain group are the same - or are you generalising about my posts?

as it suits my agenda?

please tell me what my agenda is, as i seem to have missed the meeting on that one.

facts? daily mail?

ok, i have provided one link above, from the BBC not the mail. you are assuming i have read something in the daily mail regarding this topic and jumped to a conclusion. WRONG.

what is that cheesy saying about assuming? oh yes "don't assume - it makes an ass of u but not me".:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who are these families?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21725686

quote from the article:
    Tenants in south Wales taking part in a trial of the UK government's benefits reforms have seen rent arrears rise seven-fold to £140,000 in seven months.

Landlords in the pilot area in Torfaen warn evictions could increase if the trend continues after the system for paying benefits is fully adopted.

Housing benefit is currently paid to the landlord but it will transfer to the claimant under the reforms.

i love to generalise?

please show me where i have generalised - you know, where i have said that all people in any certain group are the same - or are you generalising about my posts?

as it suits my agenda?

please tell me what my agenda is, as i seem to have missed the meeting on that one.

facts? daily mail?

ok, i have provided one link above, from the BBC not the mail. you are assuming i have read something in the daily mail regarding this topic and jumped to a conclusion. WRONG.

what is that cheesy saying about assuming? oh yes "don't assume - it makes an ass of u but not me".:D
    LOL

from that report:
    There are a lot of people out there that are finding it difficult on very small incomes to be able to manage their budgets.

"You only need a broken washing machine or cooker and suddenly you are in a real difficult bind in missing your rent."

Similar concerns have been voiced by a Commons select committee which last November warned the Department of Work and Pensions not to rush into launching Universal Credit.

where as you said:

A sweeping generalisation if ever I saw one.You assuming that starving families would buy **** and booze before food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL

from that report:

where as you said:

A sweeping generalisation if ever I saw one.You assuming that starving families would buy **** and booze before food.

what? NO. i am not saying they would buy booze and ****. you are attempting to twist my words (epic fail btw).i am saying they don't need them.

my turn now. are you saying some starving families need booze and ****?, because i am saying they don't need them. (the key word being NEED).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what? NO. i am not saying they would buy booze and ****. you are attempting to twist my words (epic fail btw).i am saying they don't need them.

my turn now. are you saying some starving families need booze and ****?, because i am saying they don't need them. (the key word being NEED).

No you were trying to say that they should have vouchers so that they would not spend them on **** and booze, that is why you said what you did . Otherwise why bring it up. You then linked to a bbc page , as justification of what you said, that said nothing of the sort. .
    I could easily say that poor families don't need fast cars, caviar, silk clothes etc.
    What they need is money to survive, but you want them to go cap in hand to food banks etc.
    Forum Member
    No you were trying to say that they should have vouchers so that they would not spend them on **** and booze, that is why you said what you did . Otherwise why bring it up. You then linked to a bbc page , as justification of what you said, that said nothing of the sort. .
    I could easily say that poor families don't need fast cars, caviar, silk clothes etc.
    What they need is money to survive, but you want them to go cap in hand to food banks etc.
    Its up to people on benefits or low on oncomes in what theys spend money on, I am on jsa and have sky and b.t phone line,but I buy the tesco own brand,food so I can have them,whats,wrong with doing that,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Its up to people on benefits or low on oncomes in what theys spend money on, I am on jsa and have sky and b.t phone line,but I buy the tesco own brand,food so I can have them,whats,wrong with doing that,
    Ask Rastus, he wants to control what you spend your benefits on. If fact some people on here want benefits stopped altogether and for the poor to be reduced to surviving on charity hand outs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you are generalising. thats why i said some families. please don't generalise. my point is a valid point, backed up by the similar situation as to who now receives the rental money in certain areas, and that rent arrears have increased in those areas.

Where? :confused: Your point about people not spending housing benefit on rent may well be valid in a discussion about housing benefit and rent arrears, but in the context of a discussion of income which is intended to be used to pay for food being replaced by a food bank voucher, it's not.
    Forum Member
    Ask Rastus, he wants to control what you spend your benefits on. If fact some people on here want benefits stopped altogether and for the poor to be reduced to surviving on charity hand outs.
    What next telling the people on low incomes that work what they can spend there money on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What next telling the people on low incomes that work what they can spend there money on.

Or where they can spend their money
    Forum Member

Or where they can spend their money

It be so wrong,and lots of people on low incomes have sky and b.b so what would happeon to sky and b b companys,