Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once you've seen one Gervais episode, you've seen them all. Guy only knows 1 form of 'comedy'.

spot on.same old thing in a different setting. he is the weakest person in it!
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it extremely touching when she was sleeping and he said she still liked him to hold her hand and he liked her hair as it was fluffy, and he then patted her hair. Well done Ricky, you surprised me.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 74 wrote: »
    The show is in many ways the complete opposite. We are very much put on Derek's side in this one. This is not a show about someone with a disability, but a show with a simple, uncomplex, genuine character. You couldn't possibly portray anyone with intelligence so 1D and still create interest.

Yes, true. I see what you mean about the show not being about someone with a disability, I was just responding to other posters views from that perspective. I thought Hannah felt more like the main character, probably because we were seeing Derek from her perspective in the main, as you say, 'put on Derek's side.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to start by saying I'm a huge Gervais fan. I loved Extras, and The Office, well, Genius is one of the many words of praise I could use to describe that show. So I was disappointed not only in Gervais/Merch, but in myself for Life's Too Short. As much as I tried I just couldn't warm to it at all.

Derek has restored my faith. I just loved it. I have to admit I did find it hard for the first 5 mins to see Derek as Derek, and not Ricky, as he is such a personality these days but I allowed myself get lost in the character and found myself laughing with Derek, not at him. Rooting for him. Crying when he was upset. Towards the end when he said 'I'm not good looking or clever, but I am kind' really choked me up. I love seeing Gervais play serious and vulnerable. It had shades of Andy Millman's speech in the Big Brother house.

I instantly warmed to Hannah the way I did with Maggie in Extras, and my all time favorite character Tim Canterbury. Would love to see more of Karl playing Douglas, but basically being Karl. I loved him having a rant about throwing everything out in a skip!

I am surprised to see people were expecting gag-a-minute. For me it was just as Ch4 described it, 'a bittersweet comedy drama'. Also I think that some of the best bits of The Office and Extras were the heartfelt moments. Very clever and well thought through. There were many of those moments in Derek. I think Life's Too Short tried to be heavy on the laughs but it just didn't quite get there.

More Derek please Ch4. Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuzyLD wrote: »
    I have to start by saying I'm a huge Gervais fan. I loved Extras, and The Office, well, Genius is one of the many words of praise I could use to describe that show. So I was disappointed not only in Gervais/Merch, but in myself for Life's Too Short. As much as I tried I just couldn't warm to it at all.

Derek has restored my faith. I just loved it. I have to admit I did find it hard for the first 5 mins to see Derek as Derek, and not Ricky, as he is such a personality these days but I allowed myself get lost in the character and found myself laughing with Derek, not at him. Rooting for him. Crying when he was upset. Towards the end when he said 'I'm not good looking or clever, but I am kind' really choked me up. I love seeing Gervais play serious and vulnerable. It had shades of Andy Millman's speech in the Big Brother house.

I instantly warmed to Hannah the way I did with Maggie in Extras, and my all time favorite character Tim Canterbury. Would love to see more of Karl playing Douglas, but basically being Karl. I loved him having a rant about throwing everything out in a skip!

I am surprised to see people were expecting gag-a-minute. For me it was just as Ch4 described it, 'a bittersweet comedy drama'. Also I think that some of the best bits of The Office and Extras were the heartfelt moments. Very clever and well thought through. There were many of those moments in Derek. I think Life's Too Short tried to be heavy on the laughs but it just didn't quite get there.

Spot on. :)
  • radiofreeradiofree Posts: 7,316
    Forum Member

Totally agree with you. Well said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Spot on. :)
    radiofree wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. Well said.

Cheers :) It was a little gem for me.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was going to come on here and write my feelings - but you've summed it up perfectly.

Would just add that I think the critics will criticise because it is Ricky Gervais - and they bring their preconceived ideas about him to the viewing. If 'Derek' had been performed by an unknown actor, then I feel the negative reactions would have been totally different. The piece would have been judged in a more accepting light - and it may well have been praised as a little gem of television.

IMHO Gervais has never been about huge belly laughs, in fact, I watch his material for its subtle, sometimes painful, but beautiful little phrases or glances that are so touchingly true.

Kindness is magic.
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
    In parts it was quite touching and sweet.
    Not laugh out loud comedy but there were a few humourous bits. Lets hope we can see more of Derek
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    Was going to come on here and write my feelings - but you've summed it up perfectly.

Would just add that I think the critics will criticise because it is Ricky Gervais - and they bring their preconceived ideas about him to the viewing. If 'Derek' had been performed by an unknown actor, then I feel the negative reactions would have been totally different. The piece would have been judged in a more accepting light - and it may well have been praised as a little gem of television.

IMHO Gervais has never been about huge belly laughs, in fact, I watch his material for its subtle, sometimes painful, but beautiful little phrases or glances that are so touchingly true.

Kindness is magic.

Exactly, I'm right with you.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most touching part for me was when Karl's character put the picture back up on the wall that he promised not to fix. A little thing, but spoke volumes for the love that everyone actually had for each other.

Far from being a cold hearted laugh at the less fortunate, it was one of the most heart warming 30 mins of TV I've seen for a long time. A shame for those who didn't get it, or just didn't want to get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most touching part for me was when Karl's character put the picture back up on the wall that he promised not to fix. A little thing, but spoke volumes for the love that everyone actually had for each other.

Far from being a cold hearted laugh at the less fortunate, it was one of the most heart warming 30 mins of TV I've seen for a long time. A shame for those who didn't get it, or just didn't want to get it.

Loved this bit.
  • HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    There's never been a career with such diminishing returns. He peaked with The Office and has been on the slide ever since. He'll end up doing reality shows on ITV2 eventually.

And the funny thing is that when this happens, after many years of world-wide success making him a multi-millionaire, when that has gone away and he has to resort to appearing on poorly produced, low-rated lowest common denominator television programmes, his life will still be 1000 times more successful than yours.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I thought this was back to the standard of The Office, some heartwarming and poignant moments.
    More please
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it very much it was a very nice half hour's television,some funny moments and extremely touching in place.....lets hope there is a full series
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on 4 OD now. :)

Thank you, but im unable to watch 4OD at home. My computer is more pedal power than high tech !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I turned it off after a couple of minutes....watching it felt like bullying a disabled person. Very distasteful and disturbing :(

He isn't disabled, and from what I can see he showed no signs of it, other than a lack of intelligence and co-ordination, both of which can occur naturally without disability....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He announced to his Twitter followers that while Derek is currently a one-off production, a full series will likely be on the way eventually.

"Thanks again for all the good wishes for Derek tomorrow night. It's only a one-off, but I am slowly writing a series," he explained.

• gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I turned it off after a couple of minutes....watching it felt like bullying a disabled person. Very distasteful and disturbing :(

Should have given it more than 2 minutes, it was anything but.

Can't judge any programme on 2 minutes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was totally beautiful - I was welling up by then and that just sent me into proper crying :o

Also - loved the calm head-butt in the pub. I cheered out loud. It was like a massive smack in the face of ignorance.

So for all the critics, if they had (a) bothered to watch it, or (b) understood it - they would have realised that they were way off the mark with suggestions that it was poking fun at a gentle soul.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I do think they should change the title of the programme to Hannah. Even though Gervais is the star, she is the standout throughout the episode and i liked her character more than Derek. She's the best thing in it i think and they make a good double act, Derek would be a great foil for Hannah and the scene in the bar was classic! That made me laugh.
    I agree that the Hannah character was good but I think she stood out more because that actress can can actually act whereas Gervais and Pilkington are poor actors. As other people have said, the show would be better with someone else playing the part of Derek as Gervais isn't really up to the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    That was totally beautiful - I was welling up by then and that just sent me into proper crying :o

Also - loved the calm head-butt in the pub. I cheered out loud. It was like a massive smack in the face of ignorance.

So for all the critics, if they had (a) bothered to watch it, or (b) understood it - they would have realised that they were way off the mark with suggestions that it was poking fun at a gentle soul.

It's the Gervais factor, if someone else had played the lead role, it would have been different.

He never ceases to surprise me, whilst I was disappointed with Life's Too Short, he has come up trumps with Derek.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh I loved that bit too. For me Ricky is the master at that. Something so small that says so much. Also loved when he went into Joan's room and put her £10 lottery winnings in her purse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Gervais factor, if someone else had played the lead role, it would have been different.

He never ceases to surprise me, whilst I was disappointed with Life's Too Short, he has come up trumps with Derek.

Agreed. As I mentioned in an earlier post - if an uknown actor had played the part of Derek, I reckon it would have been lauded as a gem of a television programme.

Must admit - I am baffled by the anti-Gervais bandwagon. I may have got it completely wrong, but it seems to me that people have totally misunderstood what he is about. :confused:

As far as I'm concerned he's never been about basic comedy, although he is capable of pure humour - his writing has always been thought provoking, sometimes uncomfortable, but first and foremost always incredibly uplifting and moving.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, pages of positive comments on Digital Spy! You don't often see that. I agree with the general consensus that this was a great return to form for Ricky. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it after the pre publicity that made it seem the programme would be mocking Derek. Ricky's time on Twitter has rather soured me on him. It became clear quickly that Derek wasn't there to be mocked and it was a positive portrayal. My initial wariness was worn down and about 10-15 minutes in I realised that I was really enjoying it and by the end I could easily imagine watching a full series.