Android Apps on Tablet

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I've got a Nexus 10 and it is a fantastic piece of kit. Apple fans in our office actually couldn't find fault with it (and they really go out of their way to pick holes in 'the competition'). For reading and web browsing the display is stunning.

As far as apps are concerned - both Apple and Android have a lot of apps in the stores that are now over a year old, some as much as two years. These are the ones that tend to scale badly. The worst offenders assume that you're only going to hold the device in portrait mode.

I ended up writing an app myself because the existing tv guides handle tablets pretty badly. When you write an app for android you can provide completely different layouts depending on the resolution, screen size and orientation - so you can certainly make sure that something works well on small and large screens and the retina displays like the Nexus. However, the cost of supporting every last combination can be high, so most developers pick a sensible subset.

These days, the takeup for modern apps is something like 75%+ on Android 3.0 and upwards, and about 25% on 2.X. That means increasingly you'll see apps that miss features out on older phones, because it's not worth the cost of implementing them.

I think it'll be a while before we see games that have graphics specifically aimed at retina displays, and some utility apps will continue to work better on some devices rather than others. However, the market is changing quite rapidly, and you get a real benefit from checking out the latest apps rather than just sticking with the 'old' market leaders that were designed for much older devices. Google Play doesn't help you make the best decision there, so you have to keep your eyes open.
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Exactly! I'd love to have a little test run on one - so odd why they aren't on display anywhere.

Whoever hey, do you find browsing quicker than that of an ipad? And how nice do websites look on it? Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I think they're not on display, because Google doesn't need to promote them. They seem to sell out as fast as they can make them.

Web browsing is smooth and as quick as your network can make it.

Perhaps the most impressive feature is the sound though - front facing speakers either side of the display make it great for watching film.
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Cool.

The actual "touch" of the device, is it as silky smooth as Apple products also? I mean flicking through photos, up and down a web page: apple is silky smooth.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suncity wrote: »
    Cool.

The actual "touch" of the device, is it as silky smooth as Apple products also? I mean flicking through photos, up and down a web page: apple is silky smooth.

As long as your not browsing DS its silky smooth yes :). But thats because DS is so crap with all the ads.

I use flipboard for news and stuff which is also really smooth
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flipboard.app&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd