Ten... digital radios to suit all budgets

hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/09/08/product_round_up_ten_dab_radios/
The Register has been quite critical of DAB in the past, but
Product Round-up After a slow start, digital radio might finally be getting somewhere. More people are buying DAB radios, coverage is increasing and, digital stations account for a growing share of the radio audience, according to the stats [PDF]. The BBC’s four main exclusively digital radio stations, for instance, reach a combined total of well over 5m listeners a week, mostly received using DAB.

Whether this format could or should replace FM is another matter and one that probably doesn’t concern typical digital radio users. They’re going to be more interested in the bigger choice of stations, the naming system that makes it easier to find what’s on, and other extras.

Depending on the price, you can also get added features such as an iPod/iPhone dock or an internet connection for audio streaming. So here's a selection of what's out there that can find a place in any home and suit a range of listener needs.
Not sure of the title as the cheapest sets looked at were £99, The new Yamaha set was the editor's choice

Comments

• crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cheapest radios can be found in Tesco or Asda for example,i bought an Asda own branded DAB radio for only £20,mains and battery,although the battery life is poor,but the set sounds and works great!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my original DAB Radio was approx £38 in Argos(stereo model)and it's been ok for two or three years and is usually on 24/7 on electric I'll grant you.

The one that I purchased for Mum and sadly she only managed to hear for 4 weeks before she passed away was from Tesco and was a Pure model(Mono but with a stereo line out)might have cost the same but certainly no more)
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cheapest radios can be found in Tesco or Asda for example,i bought an Asda own branded DAB radio for only £20,mains and battery,although the battery life is poor,but the set sounds and works great!
    Then you must be very unfussy. Most of the supermarket DAB radios are only worthwhile as door stops. They have absolutely terrible reception, terrible sound quality and terrible build.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the supermarket DAB radios are only worthwhile as door stops. They have absolutely terrible reception, terrible sound quality and terrible build.
    I bought an OXX Digital Vantage from Marks & Spencer for £39 but M&S now seem to have discontinued "technology" products from their range. Shame because it is an attractive radio and works well. M&S have lost the plot these days, unfortunately.
  • uksoundzuksoundz Posts: 304
    Forum Member

I think I must have bought the same one a few weeks ago, excellent value for money!
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still use a Bush DAB kitchen portable from 2004 which still works great.

The pocket DAB radios have improved a lot. The Asda budget receiver my mother has for £25 is great considering the price. My Pure Move 2500 is simply the best around, although pricey at £80.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one I purchased from Argos was branded as an Alba but that and Bush are I believe exclusive to Argos and are sold as their own product.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still use a Bush DAB kitchen portable from 2004 which still works great.

The pocket DAB radios have improved a lot. The Asda budget receiver my mother has for £25 is great considering the price. My Pure Move 2500 is simply the best around, although pricey at £80.

Is your Bush similar to mine, wood sides and has a seventies look to it with a brushed metal front?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Is your Bush similar to mine, wood sides and has a seventies look to it with a brushed metal front?

It's similar to this model.

http://www.radio-now.co.uk/bigimages/bushtr2004.jpg
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know the one.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you must be very unfussy. Most of the supermarket DAB radios are only worthwhile as door stops. They have absolutely terrible reception, terrible sound quality and terrible build.

Agreed, but the Pure One Mi is perfectly useable, and costs a lot less than £99
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

Not sure of the title as the cheapest sets looked at were £99, The new Yamaha set was the editor's choice

They've made a compromise between quality and budget ?

Going back 70 years, when a radio set was seven shillings and six pence, it received broadcast stations on medium, long, and short wavelengths, and many came with an input socket for the audio stages to play music from the family gramaphone deck ( 78s of course ). The ones still around will still work exactly as they did - brilliant value for money.

Radios from the 1970s, if thirty pounds including the FM band have likewise been value for money.

In the final days of Woolworths, they were selling FM radios for two pounds, the suspicion is that none exist now...

Those of us who were pioneers in buying DAB receivers, and bought quality ones, paid 200 pounds for the decision, but the majority are still working as they did over a decade ago - again good value for money...

My point is that vale for money has nothing to do with initial purchase price.

It is fair comment that we should be able to buy throwaway or short-life technology - but it has to be recycled after a year or two when we no longer want it. Does it get buried in landfill, or sent to Brazil, Africa or Asia to poison the children who set fire to it to reclaim the metal ? Or does it get properly recycled via the WEEE Regulations ? These are described in :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Electrical_and_Electronic_Equipment_Directive

I'd say that the Yamaha is a good buy, now costing 99 pounds for a quality product which a decade ago was 200...
  • crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The one i bought,which is branded Onn,is quite good in that respect,i know which ones to steer clear of and for the kitchen a cheap one is more than sufficient.;)
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Agreed, but the Pure One Mi is perfectly useable, and costs a lot less than £99
    That is because Pure are a brand with a good reputation which proves my argument.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed that both Tesco and Asda appear to be in stages of phasing out their own brand DAB radios, and maybe stopping selling DAB radios at all. Is there something they know that I don't?
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda are now selling a lot of Polaroid branded audio products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And have no personal DAB radios any more, plus the Polaroid ones look seriously naff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I also have the £20 Asda Branded DAB Radio tried to find it on their site but can't find it, great product, never had any problems.
  • andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Magicbox Cleaver, got it from Comet (RIP) a year ago for £45. While not supporting DAB+, it does have the bonus of having an FM tuner and is also an internet radio (Reciva platform). It's only a mono unit and has its quirks but the sound quality is more than acceptable given what little it cost, relatively speaking.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda are now selling a lot of Polaroid branded audio products.
    Seems most of the shops are now using new brand names for budget sets, rather than their own names.
    Tesco only have one DAB radio under Tesco value, but 9 DAB sets under Technika.
    Asda are now using Polaroid.
    Sainsburys are using Red
    Argos are using Bush
    Currys was using Grundig and now Logic

Hopefully will be able to keep up quality on these brands, but the chipsets may not be the latest to keep down costs?
    There is a digital radio kitemark testing system for quality proposed which may start if the Government decides on a future switchover, or not, in October. The shops will try and get their own brand sets approved.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those radio's are for all budgets? Budget for a premier league footballer maybe.They aren't exactly cheap for the average Joe though.I love DAB radio personally,and I am really disappointed that it hasn't taken off like it should have.There are a lot of decent budget DAB's now,but the name brands are still prohibitively expensive.They should be at least half the price that they were five years ago but the prices don't seem to have fallen much at all.

My main radio is a Pure Evoke 3,which I bought reconditioned about five or 6 years ago for a hundred pounds.I think they've long since been discontinued and the nearest model now is the Evoke 2s,which still costs in excess of £130.The radio I use at work is a Sainsbury's Red brand,which was a very sensible £30.It doesn't have half the features of a big name brand,but very good value and quality nonetheless.And the one I use in the kitchen is an Argos value radio.It sounds like it's playing in a bucketful of ice water.It is really horrible! But I don't spend a huge amount of time in the kitchen so it's not that big a deal.

I would like to see a list of ten or so radio's priced between £20 and £100 pounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago there were still genuine budget personal DAB sets to be had - under Asda and Technica brands. Asda have withdrawn thier £30 RRP model (it was a good one) and HUKD opinion seems to be that Tesco is having an in-store fire sale as if it does not plan to stock DAB any more. When I visited a Tesco store a week ago there was no personal DAB to be seen.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buglawton wrote: »
    A few weeks ago there were still genuine budget personal DAB sets to be had - under Asda and Technica brands. Asda have withdrawn thier £30 RRP model (it was a good one) and HUKD opinion seems to be that Tesco is having an in-store fire sale as if it does not plan to stock DAB any more. When I visited a Tesco store a week ago there was no personal DAB to be seen.
    My local store has some, maybe either they have had a large number of returns where pocket sets where sold and DAB has not been fully rolled out, or the factories are getting production for new DAB+ sets going (DAB+ is part of the profile of the kitemark spec, i think)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best DAB radios I've had to date are the car radio (Grundig Allixx), which has been in situ well over 8 years and only ever had one problem - the need to replace a short patch lead...

a Roberts Solar DAB, 5 years use in garden, bathroom, around the house & on holiday - and generally only needs a mains charge once or twice a year,

a Morphy Richards pocket DAB set that holds a signal well and doesn't have a nerveous breakdown with it's station list like some others,

and a Pure hi-fi DAB tuner (bought S/H), which can excel sonically, picks up with he proverbial piece of wet string, and demonstrates that it's sometimes the circuitry of the set that is deficient in audio terms rather than the DAB source itself.

Must go out and launder the "cloth ears" someone will claim I have (reference the last bit).
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a Pure One Mi for 30 quid in John Lewis in Feb 2012.

Still going strong and does me, it's my main method of listening to the radio.