Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• StoatwblrStoatwblr Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I bought one of the tesco Vestel boxes and it's got V2.44 onboard - almost a year old

The box is periodically locking up image and then fails to respond to the remote, although audio continues.

Is this a known bug?
  • StasisLeakStasisLeak Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Stoatwblr wrote: »
    I bought one of the tesco Vestel boxes and it's got V2.44 onboard - almost a year old

The box is periodically locking up image and then fails to respond to the remote, although audio continues.

Is this a known bug?

I have not noticed this problem as yet (Crystal Palace transmitter) but have only had the box a few days. I have the same firmware, but I understand there was a 2.47 update a while back.
    Has your box only just started to do this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by Stoatwblr

"I bought one of the tesco Vestel boxes and it's got V2.44 onboard - almost a year old

Is this a known bug?"

Re message above, I had the same problem during the Masters golf last night. I had to do a hard reset (unplug power supply then replug back) to sort it out.

Is the S/W update mentioned by kurgan2 ( or even a more recent update) likely to be repeated by the DTG in the near future?
  • neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Fri 22-04-2011
    10am
    to Sun 24-04-2011
    midnight

Vestel

T836

v2.6

R

Is this a repeat of an updated firmware version?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    neon-lightning - I don't think the Vestel T836 is a Freeview HD box (ie NOT a STBHDV2010) - pl correct me if I'm wrong
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fri 22-04-2011
    10am
    to Sun 24-04-2011
    midnight

Vestel

T836

v2.6

R

Is this a repeat of an updated firmware version?

R = Repeat
    Forum Member
    neon-lightning - I don't think the Vestel T836 is a Freeview HD box (ie NOT a STBHDV2010) - pl correct me if I'm wrong

According to this link it is a non HD PVR

http://www.vestelpvr.futaura.co.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know what the STBHDH2010 is a rebadged version of ?
    Forum Member
    Zarnywoop wrote: »

I think the first post mentions it's probably this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322185/Trail/searchtext%3EFREEVIEW+HD.htm

Some other reviews state it is prone to freezing up.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarnywoop wrote: »
    Bears a strong style resemblance to the Alba sold exclusively by Argos at £100 but without the five buttons.

Alba was a brand name sold by Harvard to Argos who now market at Grundig and Goodmans (their boxes are very similiar to each other and obviously the same circuitry but they have tweeked the software to give different colour menus)

The Technika "H", Alba, Grundig and Goodmans have similar remote controls, use an external power supply and have blue leds to indicate status and no display. All their customer reviews mention freezing problems at times. Which? gave the Alba a "Don't Buy" but they test early so later software updates may have cured their issues.

Technika used "V" in the number of the model from Vestel. This suggests the H was sourced from Harvard or it and the Alba came from a Chinese maker starting with H. If all four share the same electronics, that maker offers OEM retailers a wider choice of front panels and enclosures than Vestel who almost did a "one size fits all".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Has anybody else had problems with the hdmi output on the STBHDV2010? mine will work occasionaly when I turn it on but not very often, the scart always works though.
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeeeshad wrote: »
    Has anybody else had problems with the hdmi output on the STBHDV2010? mine will work occasionaly when I turn it on but not very often, the scart always works though.

I have the STBHDV2010 and am watching it right now via HDMI. It always works perfectly on my Sony KDL-32L4000 using 1080i (the TV's maximum resolution). Maybe you have not set the box's output to match your TV.
    Some TVs have a problem with "handshaking". The best way to deal with this is to power the STB on before you select the appropriate HDMI input on the TV.
    See if either of these suggestions works for you.

Chris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    alot of people in this thread (& some other threads in other forums AVF, HUKD etc) seems to always knock the H model (saying it's the same as the Argos line of STBs and those has bad reviews etc), but from what I can see it usually ends up with more people complaining about the V model after buying it, freezing/crashing etc (was also watching the Masters then F1 on BBCHD last night on my H model box and no problems at all, unlike the member who got the V model reported above)

I got the H model couple weeks ago, at that time didn't know the real difference between H or V, did try to do searches online but all reviews were from last year and it was mainly people complaining about freezes/lockups, but no real reviews specifically about the tesco H model, so I just like the look of the H more so chose that (local tesco had all 3 models but only 2 of them were on sale at £30), and admittedly I don't use the box all the time (have skyhd), I mainly use this for the 4 HD channels, but when ever I use it the H model box it works fine, not noticed any freezing/crashing during the 2 weeks, somenights I even forgot to switch it off, it seems to auto switch off to save energy, and the next day I press power button it it swtches on fine, not had to do any hard resets like pulling the plug in the past 2 weeks. Had it been acting up at all in the past 2 week this H model box would have gone back to tescos in a heartbeat, glad haven't had to do that.

but personally now actually wants to find out does any of these tesco hd boxes do transcoding for 5.1 audio? which of these models, H or V does transcoding?

btw the software currently on my H model box Boot: v3.00, Loader:v4.00 Applicative: v17.00
  • egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Anyone with the H version, can you tell me please is it possible to delete unwanted (undesirable) channels from the channel list? Not just lock them, but delete them completely. Thank you.
  • 01tomki01tomki Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    egal wrote: »
    Anyone with the H version, can you tell me please is it possible to delete unwanted (undesirable) channels from the channel list? Not just lock them, but delete them completely. Thank you.

I have had a look on mine, and it just appears as though you can only lock channels
  • egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    O.K. No good to me, then. Many thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    Some TVs have a problem with "handshaking". The best way to deal with this is to power the STB on before you select the appropriate HDMI input on the TV.
    See if either of these suggestions works for you.

Chris.

That seams to be what the problem was cheers, strange though as it never has a problem with the ps3.
  • moleratmolerat Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Piked up a V in Elgin today, shelf full of them. Seems fine on my LG 42" 720p.
  • neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I can't even get the V version to tune in the HD multiplex, it tunes in all the SD multiplexes ok though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I had the same issue at switchover. I did a full factory reset and then disconnected the power. The box then tuned HD ok. Our HD MUX is Ch21 so the box may have missed it the first time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    The stbhdis 2010 is now reduced to 30pounds on the tesco direct website.This is a chinese sourced box but with channel zero onboard. Will probably reduce instore as well.
    Forum Member
    jawkneegee wrote: »
    The stbhdis 2010 is now reduced to 30pounds on the tesco direct website.This is a chinese sourced box but with channel zero onboard. Will probably reduce instore as well.

Is channel zero active?
    I can tune it in on the v model but appears to be a dead channel.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kurgan2 wrote: »
    Is channel zero active?
    I can tune it in on the v model but appears to be a dead channel.

There is a Channel Zero thread formerly named Trove where you can read all about it. It is live on Mux D and sends data via 4 streams totalling 30kbps to proprietary boxes which were/are? sold in Tesco. Unlicensed boxes receive a blank screen.
    Forum Member
    There is a Channel Zero thread formerly named Trove where you can read all about it. It is live on Mux D and sends data via 4 streams totalling 30kbps to proprietary boxes which were/are? sold in Tesco. Unlicensed boxes receive a blank screen.

Thanks for reply, what exactly do you mean by a licensed box?