Poll: Madonna - Like a Virgin vs. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Both are iconic tracks that pretty much launched the careers of each artist so I thought I'd make a poll to see which one people prefer.

It was really hard for me to choose as I love both, but I feel "Like a Virgin" slightly edges it out for me.

"Like a Virgin" vs. "...Baby One More Time". 81 votes

Madonna - "Like a Virgin"
44% 36 votes
Britney Spears - "...Baby One More Time"
55% 45 votes

Comments

• Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Baby one more time always !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both songs and albums in fact but ...Baby One More Time All the way it sounds fresh and exciting even now. It just is the perfect pop song and something she has never quite topped if equaled. Madonna has had better songs but LAV is a great song.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I voted for Like A Virgin although Baby.... is a great song as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted Britney. I think it's a better pop song. Madonna has done many more good tracks than Britney, but I never really liked 'Like a virgin'.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like both songs but I prefer Baby One More Time. That song is a pop classic as far as I'm concerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holiday launched Madonna's career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Holiday launched Madonna's career.

It launched her but Like A Virgin, Material girl, Crazy For You, And Into The Groove made her.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Like a Virgin, although it's not my favourite Madonna song (that goes to Like a Prayer or Live to Tell), IMO it's better than Baby
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Baby One More Time.

I only liked Like A Virgin when Vince Kidd performed it on The Voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Both are pretty good pop tracks (not the best of either artist's career though), but I chose 'LAV'. It's an overall brilliant pop track, while 'BOMT' would be remembered as just one more teenage anthem of the cheesy pop era if it wasn't for the iconic video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna everytime for me;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    It launched her but Like A Virgin, Material girl, Crazy For You, And Into The Groove made her.

Of course, but the OP says "Both are iconic tracks that pretty much launched the careers of each artist" and it was Holiday that launched Madonna's.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I love both songs and albums in fact but ...Baby One More Time All the way it sounds fresh and exciting even now. It just is the perfect pop song and something she has never quite topped if equaled. Madonna has had better songs but LAV is a great song.

THIS

Pretty much the same:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THIS

Pretty much the same:D

Great minds LM :p
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Tough choice cant really compare them but Like a virgin does sound dated where as BOMT still sounds modern imo. Both are huge classics but i think BOMT is bigger cause it can still get played today and get people moving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like A Virgin.

Baby One More Time is iconic too. But the album didn't have a string of hits like LAV did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if we are talking songs its an extremely close call....i mean niether are eithers "best songs" by a landslide....but i nthe same breathe they are of the most iconic in Pop history....LAV defined the mid-80s and BOMT defined the New Millenium.

In terms of albums....Like A Virgin happily transcaneds its title song in so many ays as its own strong landmarking and iconic ALBUM...Madonna and Nile Rogers made a slice of genius there (and Bray if you include Into the groove...why on earth was it not included on the remastered album??!!??)

BOMT as an album is so severely dated....fun, but my gosh she came a long way in 5 years lets say that XD but the title song, Crazy, Born To Make You Happy...they define New Millenium Pop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Always Britney
  • Buffy AnneBuffy Anne Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Baby One More Time for me by a country mile.

I love Madonna, especially her early work, but I have never liked Like A Virgin. I'd go as far as to say it's one of her worst songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're talking albums then it's obviously 'Like a Virgin', but the OP clearly refers to the singles.

So, I've gone for 'Baby One More Time' - I'll take Madonna over Britney anyday, but 'Baby One More Time' is just a classic pop song. 'Like a Virgin' is good too, but in my opinion it's not one of Madonna's better tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Of course, but the OP says "Both are iconic tracks that pretty much launched the careers of each artist" and it was Holiday that launched Madonna's.

I guess I worded it wrong sorry. What I was meaning is that LAV was the song that made Madonna a household name, as BOMT did for Britney.

'Holiday' is a great song though.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted Britney. I think it's a better pop song. Madonna has done many more good tracks than Britney, but I never really liked 'Like a virgin'.

this.