Last minute decision : I Phone or HTC ONE?

gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
Forum Member
am weighing up the options on both. The HTC looks like a perfect model although a little big and it's different to the I Phone and looks unique but people must get the I Phone as it's so good. You have everything on there.

What I was going to ask was that if it's possible to download music from other sites on the I Phone or do you have to use I Tunes?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are very good phones. Things like phone size, unique apps on iOS (or none) should make the difference.

You can add music from any source to iTunes on your PC. You can't do the same on the phone itself.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Why rush your decision? Take your time.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldnt mind a htc one myself battery life on my old iphone sucks here.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    dazb wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind a htc one myself battery life on my old iphone sucks here.

I have both an iPhone 5 and an HTC One, battery life is better on the iPhone
    Forum Member
    am weighing up the options on both. The HTC looks like a perfect model although a little big and it's different to the I Phone and looks unique but people must get the I Phone as it's so good. You have everything on there.

What I was going to ask was that if it's possible to download music from other sites on the I Phone or do you have to use I Tunes?

As someone who has both I would say it comes down to personal preferences. Personally, I tend to prefer the iPhone and use it as my main phone, but I do like the HTC One for its large screen, also some aspects of Android, although I am now running IOS 7 which bridges the gap to some degree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

You can use other sources. But you need to load them onto the iPhone through iTunes.

Which is where my hatred of iTunes comes in.

Becuase it b@st@rdises everything. Renames files. Moves folders around. Uses non-standard tagging in some places.

My other half just changed her car stereo for one that takes a USB stick. All her music is stored on iTunes. A lot of it bought through Apple. So she wanted to put it on a USB stick she could just leave in the car.

My god. What a hassle. Ended up having to use Media Monkey to extract stuff from her phone cos iTunes simply wouldn't play nice. Then had to convert a load of it from m4a format .... which pretty much no-one else uses. Then she had to re-tag half of them as iTunes had messed all that up. Thank god she never used iTunes (non-standard) normalisation as that messes up all your volume levels in any device which uses (standard) normalisation.

I hate it. I truly, truly, hate it.

On that basis alone, I'd go for the HTC one.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Becuase it b@st@rdises everything. Renames files. Moves folders around. Uses non-standard tagging in some places.

only if you tell it to.
    you can tell it not to do those things, and it won't.
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Then had to convert a load of it from m4a format .... which pretty much no-one else uses.

i've yet to come across a problem playing an m4a file outwith of itunes (and that includes in-car stereos).
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many apps which allow you to play music without using iTunes. I use filebrowser on my iPad, it is also available on iPhone.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not consider the galaxy s4?
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I would go for the iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 has better support, it's future-proof, has a sensible screen size (in my opinion - the One's screen size is mammoth), better apps, it's lighter and it has a better camera (despite what they say).
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I've tried out the I Phone 4S as it was cheaper than the I phone 5 and I preferred the screen size.

I have until next week to make my mind up but I already want to change it for the HTC one the only reason I got the I Phone as I couldn't go on a sim only contract with the HTC one in the Vodafone shop so I'm going to buy it in Phones for you then get the sim only deal can you do that?

On the HTC you can download music from any sites on the I phone it has blocked many of the apps. I hate I Tunes I find it annoying on the HTC I could download full albums in minutes and for free too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sold my iPhone 5 to get the HTC One.

Couldn't be happier.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sold my s3 and bought and iPhone 5

I couldn't be happier!
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC one just for the lovely 1080p screen and amazing front stereo speakers gives it the edge imo. Then you have the freedom and customization of android and a great selection of apps. Can always change the look using a different ui skin. It's a great phone. Should definitely consider it.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get the HTC One, iPhone is just so boring now.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the HTC One. It is better than the iPhone in every respect The only problem with the One is that the screen is a bit small at 4.7 inches and in older apps the menu button takes up screen real estate et the bottom of the screen. 5 inches is the perfect size for a phone screen - just a pity the GS4 is made from recycled toilet paper.
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Get the HTC One. It is better than the iPhone in every respect

That is a rather sweeping generalisation. I have both phones but choose to use the iPhone as my primary phone as IMO on balance it just has the edge. The screen is brighter (particularly in the car where I run satnav on both devices), the camera is better, the HTC One is a bit laggy (in comparison with the iPhone), the iPhone battery lasts longer, certain apps I need don't exist on Android, and generally apps on the iPhone are more polished. There are things about the HTC One I like, but not enough to make it my primary phone.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sold my granny to get a 500 gallon ice cream milkshake.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Get the HTC One. It is better than the iPhone in every respect The only problem with the One is that the screen is a bit small at 4.7 inches and in older apps the menu button takes up screen real estate et the bottom of the screen. 5 inches is the perfect size for a phone screen - just a pity the GS4 is made from recycled toilet paper.

the screen is a bit SMALL? :confused:

Whats a normal screen size these days? Samsung Mega at 6.3 inch?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but people must get the I Phone as it's so good.

You have to try one for yourself bit its a load of crap what i've just quoted.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    iphone 5.............it's future-proof, has a sensible screen size (in my opinion - the One's screen size is mammoth), better apps, it's lighter and it has a better camera (despite what they say).

How is it future proof?
    iphone screen are damn tiny after a decent size screen, like reading a postage stamp.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    That is a rather sweeping generalisation. I have both phones but choose to use the iPhone as my primary phone as IMO on balance it just has the edge. The screen is brighter (particularly in the car where I run satnav on both devices), the camera is better, the HTC One is a bit laggy (in comparison with the iPhone), the iPhone battery lasts longer, certain apps I need don't exist on Android, and generally apps on the iPhone are more polished. There are things about the HTC One I like, but not enough to make it my primary phone.

I suspect you do not even have the HTC One, because you are talking a load of rubbish.

Are you kidding about the brightness? with the One, putting it up the brightness to full makes it too bright to be honest, but when out in sun light it's bright enough and usable. Indoors, I either have it in power saving mode where it's dimmed, or if not, I crank the brightness down to about 80%

Laggy?? again, you have got to be joking! I don't see a single bit of lag, it's smooth and very responsive. Dont get any of this lag you are talking about.

Battery life is excellent, in fact some of the battery tests results show the One as having pretty good battery life, and I agree can easily get through a day on moderate use, even longer with power saver switched on, a day and a half of moderate to heavy use. It is no worse than any other top end smart phone out there with similar levels of use, will drain about the same.

As for the camera, there is hardly much between them in day light and as for low light, there is no contest, the One is far better. Besides there is an update out which has improved the camera's day light performance and phone performance in general so the One is not lacking in the camera department. Can take perfectly good shots with it.

What are these deal breaking apps you talk about, that are not on Android? Would love to know.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    As some above have mentioned, using iTunes is a horrible experience. I recently had to help my non-tech landlord rip some meditation music to put on the iPod... it was horrible and I never want to do it again. Why can't I use drag and drop as a standard for transferring music?

Another key thing to remember is that iPhone 5 features a new port which again, is not compliant with EU requirement of microusb for charging but anyway, you'd need to new docks or adaptors at any rate.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_5_vs_galaxy_s_iii-review-837.php
    The above is a comparison of SG3 to iPhone 5, with no clear victor so I can imagine it's more favourable if you compare this generation's SG4 or HTC One.
    I say if you're deeply invested into Apple then stick with it, you enjoy being fleeced anyway so carry on. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    only if you tell it to.
    you can tell it not to do those things, and it won't.

Which is fine. EXCEPT .... if thats the case, it should default to opt OUT (as should anything that will mess with existing files), rather than opt IN. Presumably it's set up that way as most people will just use it as it comes thus inadvertantly making it more difficult to use their files outside the Apple ecosystem. Nice tactic.
    chenks wrote: »
    i've yet to come across a problem playing an m4a file outwith of itunes (and that includes in-car stereos).

In that case, I'd suggest you avoid the Pioneer MVH-150UI range of car steros as they don't recognise them at all.

At the end of the day, I can guarantee you there are more devices out there that will fail with m4a files than there are that will fail with mp3. So why not just stick with mp3 like everyone else?

Same with the stupid new "lightning" connector. Apple were actually one of the companies that lobbied for Micro-USB as the industry standard on mobile phones .... and then totally ignored it and introduced yet another proprietary connector.

For the record, I have an iPad Mini and it's a nice peice of kit. But I despise iTunes. It will NEVER be allowed anywhere near any of my media. I use the iPad for apps and thats it. I have plenty other kit set up to consume audio & video that doesn't mess with my files and try and take over all media responsibilities constantly ....

Also, the HTC One is a very nice phone. Even if I didn't hate iTunes, it would probably still be my choice as I prefer the open-ness of the Android eco-system.

(And finally, in case you're wondering, I currently use a Lumia 920 so don't really have a vested interest in either of the options ...)