What happened to Russ Abbot?

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy McJimmy (of Invercockaleekie Castle) was the character.

Here's a clip of Jimmy, politically incorrect in a way Russ could never have imagined! :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQdSuQt0iM

The thing is, a lot of people from Glasgow do actually sound like that. I remember sitting next to a groups Glaswegians in a hotel in Blackpool once and you couldn't understand a single world they said apart from the occasional f word. I'm totally serious as well:o
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha, Russ' 'Atmosphere' single was just played on Radio 2 :D

It was at #8 in the charts this week in 1985. Who'd have though it would have made the top ten, eh? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Ha ha, Russ' 'Atmosphere' single was just played on Radio 2 :D

It was at #8 in the charts this week in 1985. Who'd have though it would have made the top ten, eh? :eek:

That's a bit spooky because the clip of Top of the Pops I was watching that inspired me to start this thread was from I think January 1985. I'll have to check.

I was always under the impression that he'd managed to get that song banned from the airwaves because he believed it wasn't a true reflection of his talents. I do know that around ten years go when VH1 used to do the "worst songs of all time" they played it all the time, and then suddenly it vanished so I remember thinking there must have been some truth in that rumour. Ill never forget the naff video where he looks like someone's dad gatecrashing a disco:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a bit spooky because the clip of Top of the Pops I was watching that inspired me to start this thread was from I think January 1985. I'll have to check.

I was always under the impression that he'd managed to get that song banned from the airwaves because he believed it wasn't a true reflection of his talents. I do know that around ten years go when VH1 used to do the "worst songs of all time" they played it all the time, and then suddenly it vanished so I remember thinking there must have been some truth in that rumour. Ill never forget the naff video where he looks like someone's dad gatecrashing a disco:D

Good old Pick of the Pops, they always play the songs no-one else dare play!

Tony Blackburn even mentioned that Russ had another single later in 1985 called 'All Night Holiday'. I doubt Russ would be too pleased at all this being mentioned with the sound of it, as that sounds even worse! :p

When VH1 used to do their 'worst video weekends' it used to be awesome. 'Atmosphere' used to be in the top ten, but nothing beat Cliff Richard on his roller skates in his leather trousers in Milton Keynes singing 'Wired For Sound' :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old Pick of the Pops, they always play the songs no-one else dare play!

Tony Blackburn even mentioned that Russ had another single later in 1985 called 'All Night Holiday'. I doubt Russ would be too pleased at all this being mentioned with the sound of it, as that sounds even worse! :p

When VH1 used to do their 'worst video weekends' it used to be awesome. 'Atmosphere' used to be in the top ten, but nothing beat Cliff Richard on his roller skates in his leather trousers in Milton Keynes singing 'Wired For Sound' :D:D

I watched it with my mum once and she's a big Ciff fan. I'd already seen it and knew that Cliff was number one but didnt tell her because I wanted to see her reaction. It was priceless I've got to say:D

They used to play Do the Conga by Black Lace as well and the video to that was hilarious. Dancing milk bottles and train drivers. You couldn't make it up:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'All Night Holiday' is just 'Atmosphere' with different words! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHUczzgOp1s

Sadly no video but I think there are some of his Eighties telly characters on the single sleeve.

Enjoy ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it with my mum once and she's a big Ciff fan. I'd already seen it and knew that Cliff was number one but didnt tell her because I wanted to see her reaction. It was priceless I've got to say:D

They used to play Do the Conga by Black Lace as well and the video to that was hilarious. Dancing milk bottles and train drivers. You couldn't make it up:D

You should take your mum to the shopping centre in Milton Keynes and walk down the side of the John Lewis store... that's where the main part of that video was filmed. It still looks the same over 30 years later and I cannot walk down there without that song and image in my head :o:D

Do The Conga is a funny video, what was it about doing novelty song videos in nightclubs? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'All Night Holiday' is just 'Atmosphere' with different words! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHUczzgOp1s

Sadly no video but I think there are some of his Eighties telly characters on the single sleeve.

Enjoy ;)

Atmosphere is so bad it's good, but this is just...:D

I wonder if he was being serious by trying to launch a pop career? He did used to sing as part of his show, so he obviously felt he could hold a note. He sang the theme tune as well.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely love this sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgKXcElkjAY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was going to say stars should never record something, no matter how obscure, if they don't want it flaunted later, but yes, he was probably trying to branch out into new avenues at the time and become an all round family entertainer.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Atmosphere is so bad it's good, but this is just...:D

I wonder if he was being serious by trying to launch a pop career? He did used to sing as part of his show, so he obviously felt he could hold a note. He sang the theme tune as well.

Most comedians think they can sing.....Russ, Peter Kay, Frank Skinner, Michael Barrymore, Brian Conley...just to name a few off the top of my head.

It is one of my dad's pet hates!
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing yet, hes not dead, will all come out then :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved him in 1985 and Atmosphere is one of my guilty pleasures.

I do miss the Saturday night comedy sketch shows though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy McJimmy (of Invercockaleekie Castle) was the character.

Here's a clip of Jimmy, politically incorrect in a way Russ could never have imagined! :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQdSuQt0iM

That is brilliant-pure Madhouse.

Pity Saville has dragged this along with it all too :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most comedians think they can sing.....Russ, Peter Kay, Frank Skinner, Michael Barrymore, Brian Conley...just to name a few off the top of my head.

That's true. Even Harry Hill dabbled in it as well

There's nothing decent on Saturday Nights at the moment, its come to something when your forced to watch Splash! because there's nothing else on.

We could do with a good Saturday night comedy series again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not forgetting this ofcourse........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvGdOC6D1Y
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    he's hiding under a big rock :D
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I saw Russ Abbott at Drury Lane in London. He was playing Fagin in Oliver! I think he works in musical theatre now.

Also saw Brian Conley last year [lay the same role in the tour of Oliver! :D
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere stashed away, I have a cassette of RA.

Wonder if its worth anything.:D
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    A few years ago, I saw Russ Abbott at Drury Lane in London. He was playing Fagin in Oliver! I think he works in musical theatre now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvymRovAm1o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »

Thanks for posting that.:)

More about RA here.

www.russabbot.co.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere stashed away, I have a cassette of RA.

Wonder if its worth anything.:D

Does it have "Atmosphere" on it?;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it have "Atmosphere" on it?;):D

Yes.:D

If my memory serves me correctly its all upbeat/party type songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.:D

If my memory serves me correctly its all upbeat/party type songs.

What about the the theme tune to his show? "Songs of joy and tears of laughter", that one? I used to love that:o

Shows don't really have decent theme tunes anymore do they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He re-invented himself as "Len Goodman", stalwart of SCD, and has never looked back.