Should Wet Wet Wet Have Taken The Longest Run At Number One?

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
Back in 1991 Bryan Adams spent a record breaking 16 consecutive weeks at number one with Everything I Do ( I do it for you). I am sure most of you over a certain age will remember this well, especially the mass media hysteria when the song was about to break the record held for 30 years. This was when it was 12 weeks on top. Then I think we all thought enough is enough but still it continued for another four weeks.

Then in 1994 Wet Wet Wet had a long running number one with Love Is All Around. And this was a strong challenge to equal and even beat Bryan Adams. But the single was withdrawn so it ended its reign at number one after 15 weeks, just one week short of equaling and two weeks short of beating Bryan Adams. So at the time did you really hope that wet wet wet would beat the record especially as it was a British act or were you glad to see the back of it?

I am not sure we will ever see another single spend this long at number one again so looks like Bryan Adams hold this record forever.

Personally I liked both songs and still do. If WWW had not withdrawn the song it may well have held on for another week or two but Whigfield replaced it at number one with Saturday Night which was huge at the time. So we will never know.

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bryan Adams only holds the record for most consecutive weeks at #1 Brian Laine with I Believe holds the record for most weeks (combined) at #1 with I Believe. But i think Bryan will probably hold it for a while longer the only song to come close in recent years was Umbrella.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both songs were, in fact, 'number twos' ;)
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Both songs were, in fact, 'number twos' ;)

:D:D:D :D(actually, I quite liked WWW's song!)

I'm sure WWW withdrew it, because they were tired of the song themselves and thought it had spent enough weeks there.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Bryan Adams only holds the record for most consecutive weeks at #1 Brian Laine with I Believe holds the record for most weeks (combined) at #1 with I Believe. But i think Bryan will probably hold it for a while longer the only song to come close in recent years was Umbrella.

It's not Brian Laine, it's Frankie Laine (Brian Lane is the character played by Alun Armstrong in "New Tricks").

Frankie Laine had 18 non-consecutive weeks at no.1 with "I Believe" in 1953.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much royalties The Troggs got from the Wets stint at number one, if any?
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much royalties The Troggs got from the Wets stint at number one, if any?

reg presley one of the band members and the writer of the song, no doubt made a packet off the wet's version. it sold something like 1.8 million copies in the uk alone.:eek:

i was glad to see the back of it after 15 weeks at #1 though back in the day and i felt the same about the bryan adams song too.:o
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    reg presley one of the band members and the writer of the song, no doubt made a packet off the wet's version. it sold something like 1.8 million copies in the uk alone.:eek:

i was glad to see the back of it after 15 weeks at #1 though back in the day and i felt the same about the bryan adams song too.:o

If I remember the story correctly, he used all the royalties from the song to fund research into crop circles!
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »

You sure as it was Whigfield's Saturday Night that replaced the Wets at No 1. :D
  • AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    They withdrew it from sale the week it dropped from number 1, it was well whispered at the time that they knew Whigfield was selling in massive numbers, so it would not have outsold Whigfield anyway.

Whigfield also being a huge million seller. Very rare for a million seller to replace another at number 1 :)