Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Charlie Brooker's take on TDKR :p
    http://youtu.be/DGKStgDaxxU?t=38m35s
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, I'd never noticed the similarities between the bomb in Rises and the bomb in the '60's movie. :D:D:D
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I was almost tempted to subscribe until I saw the price as you get 5 freebies, one is a toy Batwing! :cool:

Yeah I just had a look and was very tempted by the freebies. Batwing and Shielded Batmobile :cool:
    I selected subscribe just to have a look and was greeted with some tick boxes which one said they may have random editions from time to time so tick to agree to recieve at £9.99 whenever they choose to send.
    And another said to be sent new ring binders @£6.99 for every 16 issues. :eek:
    I didn't bother to look any further and decided subscribing is not an option for me as god knows how many random issues you'd need to pay for before you actually got to the 6th official delivery to get the Batwing.
  • paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I too noticed the magazine. Might get the first three as they are the most iconic. But no way am I subscribing to an unknown number.

Having now watched in the comfort of my own home. I can confirm it is an exceptional film.

As the third and final part in a trilogy, the high standards of acting, musical score and special effects were maintained. Nolan deserves tremendous praise for his commitment to the Bruce Wayne narrative.

My two, perhaps three, gripes were names:

Jen (Juno Temple) should be called Holly, as in Robinson from the comics. Simple as.

Prisoner (Tom Conti) played a surrogate Alfred, so I would bestow on him the name Wilfred, Alfred's brother, as a nod to this similarity. To say he is would be quite a leap in the story, albeit a comforting one.

Blake's (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) name reveal was unnecessary. I would have left it unknown. The final image - The Dark Knight Rises - was sufficient.

As a standalone film, it is second to Skyfall as my film of 2012.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the magazine today, it's very thin. The toy is very good plus the little Batman figure.

It's worth it for £2.99 but I definitely wouldn't pay six quid or a tenner.
  • union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul_jt wrote: »
    My two, perhaps three, gripes were names:

Jen (Juno Temple) should be called Holly, as in Robinson from the comics. Simple as.

Since they never referred to her by name in the movie itself, I will continue to insist she WAS Holly Robinson. I don't care what the credits called her, she was Holly in every way to me :)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm reposting this from "what movies you've watched" thread .....

like i said with THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS ..... watched it last night and was excited to see it ..... but terrible i came away from it FRUSTRATED!

a LOT of things were great about it ..... the acting, scenarios, effects and the main storyline was excellent!

but a LOT of things were wrong with it too ..... notably the style of editing they used! now they use it in the previous movies to great effect, but some of the cuts were quite frankly AMATEURISH! especially the cut for the cops being rescued from the tunnel, it simply cuts from the explostion to create the hole in the barracade, to them halfway out already which made it very disconcerting to me! ..... to the fact that the reveal of "the bat" was RUINED by a mid-cut as it came out of the shadows (surprising because the same scenario with the tumbler in BB) ..... but the worst one was the reveal of john blake's "other" name ..... barely felt like a big thing, and could have easily been missed by viewers! add selina kyles entrance on the batpod at the end, she just APPEARS there (and i literally THREW my arms out in frustration at that) and who was that other woman with selina? NO BACK STORY for either her, selina or john blake!

there's also a big problem with key scenes not being DRAMATIC ENOUGH! the plane rescue at the beginning just didn't have enough in it, and at the end i asked myself "is that it?" and the whole "bat break" scene at the end of their fight just fell flat ..... like batman did on the cold hard floor LOL also the THREE month "kayfabe" wait, from when bane takes over gotham and the end in winter? was that a "end of the world" take perhaps? and as for lucius fox?

oh and there's the whole IMAX thing ..... the screen formatting was used to GREAT effect in TRON LEGACY, but used sparingly ..... but the timings in TDKR was almost random and felt like too much of the movie was done like this!

another problem was the multiple story threads ..... perhaps to the writers maybe ..... maybe ..... and that leads to this one ..... like BREAKING DAWN did and TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON should have been, maybe the third and most epic of the trilogy could have been made into TWO parts? to give the above mentioned characters some sort of backstory, and to spread out the story (maybe have bruce getting dumped in the uzbekh prison the end of part one? as we got a tremendous one for bane .....

not bad as in terrible, but trying to fit in such an epic story into even a tad shy of three hours, might have been too much for the creators ..... and the thing to finally break the batmans back!

BUT NOT ONCE AND FOR ALL .....

but the dark knight rises is the WORST of the modern batman movies for me, and that's very dissapointing
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    i'm reposting this from "what movies you've watched" thread .....

like i said with THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS ..... watched it last night and was excited to see it ..... but terrible i came away from it FRUSTRATED!

a LOT of things were great about it ..... the acting, scenarios, effects and the main storyline was excellent!

but a LOT of things were wrong with it too ..... notably the style of editing they used! now they use it in the previous movies to great effect, but some of the cuts were quite frankly AMATEURISH! especially the cut for the cops being rescued from the tunnel, it simply cuts from the explostion to create the hole in the barracade, to them halfway out already which made it very disconcerting to me! ..... to the fact that the reveal of "the bat" was RUINED by a mid-cut as it came out of the shadows (surprising because the same scenario with the tumbler in BB) ..... but the worst one was the reveal of john blake's "other" name ..... barely felt like a big thing, and could have easily been missed by viewers! add selina kyles entrance on the batpod at the end, she just APPEARS there (and i literally THREW my arms out in frustration at that) and who was that other woman with selina? NO BACK STORY for either her, selina or john blake!

there's also a big problem with key scenes not being DRAMATIC ENOUGH! the plane rescue at the beginning just didn't have enough in it, and at the end i asked myself "is that it?" and the whole "bat break" scene at the end of their fight just fell flat ..... like batman did on the cold hard floor LOL also the THREE month "kayfabe" wait, from when bane takes over gotham and the end in winter? was that a "end of the world" take perhaps? and as for lucius fox?

oh and there's the whole IMAX thing ..... the screen formatting was used to GREAT effect in TRON LEGACY, but used sparingly ..... but the timings in TDKR was almost random and felt like too much of the movie was done like this!

another problem was the multiple story threads ..... perhaps to the writers maybe ..... maybe ..... and that leads to this one ..... like BREAKING DAWN did and TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON should have been, maybe the third and most epic of the trilogy could have been made into TWO parts? to give the above mentioned characters some sort of backstory, and to spread out the story (maybe have bruce getting dumped in the uzbekh prison the end of part one? as we got a tremendous one for bane .....

not bad as in terrible, but trying to fit in such an epic story into even a tad shy of three hours, might have been too much for the creators ..... and the thing to finally break the batmans back!

BUT NOT ONCE AND FOR ALL .....

but the dark knight rises is the WORST of the modern batman movies for me, and that's very dissapointing

I find some of your comments curiously old fashioned.

You mention the editing as being 'amateurish', and quote certain examples, but the notion of what I call the 'shorthand' editing technique, where you only need to use basic, short shots to illustrate what is happening on sceen, and the audience will fill in the gaps themselves to ascertain what is happening, is very common in todays movies. It serves to keep the film moving a long at a decent pace, and this is a long movie with a lot going on, lots of different story threads, so that style of editing is needed.

The cops coming out if the tunnel is a perfect example...we know Batman blows a hole in the rubble to enable the cops to get out...so why do you need to see a whole, protracted scene of them leaving the underground tunnels? If you want to see the whole a to b to c of every scene, you would end up with a 6 hour movie! That's the beauty of editing, and indeed one of the main purposes of editing is to decide which shots are needed and which are not.

Selina Kyle just 'appearing' there at the end made you throw your arms up in frustration? Seriously, I have to ask have you not actually watched a movie for 30 years or something? She came back, and to be honest you kind of knew she would. But you wanted to see a whole scene with her driving back? It's obvious the filmakers made that choice for impact, because the audience had invested in the character, and to just have her drive off and not be see again would not have made sense, so not only does she come back, she comes back with a bang and saves the day. Not the most original idea maybe, but certainly no reason to go WTF?

By all means you can disagree with the editing choices, but I certain would never call them amateurish.

And most bizarre of all, you don't even mention the most obvious editing choice which most people have, namely how Wayne got back into the closed-off city. I would say that's a more controversial editing choice (though I personally don't mind it...he's Bruce Wayne/Batman, getting in without being seen would be a piece of cake for him).

And as for your other example regarding 'the bat'...this is another common editing choice to show the reaction of the characters to what is happening...been used millions of times in movies, and is usually very effective...check out the end scene of Close Encounters with all those reaction shots when the mothership appears.

Like I say, most people are used to such editing techniques and can very easily work out what is going on in a movie. Your brain can usually fill in the blanks very easily.

Backstories for the characters? Blake's story was there, he explained it himself when he 'outed' Wayne as Batman. Selina Kyle was a thief, a survivor, and also Catwoman. I don't see why any more backstory is needed. And her friend was just a friend, a colleague who helped her. That's all we needed to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like "curiously old fashioned" ..... wait a minute ARE YOU CALLING ME OLD :D

i like to plead the fifth .....

so, i said "amateurish" ..... perhaps a bit strong, and an initial reaction to it, maybe the description would be "not as controlled" as the previous movie. they only do it sparingly, but that one example was the biggest "distance in time" from one event to the other, and it was very grating to me! perhaps with keeping the same technique with such a big gap of time was a slight miscalculation and perhaps what they should have used was fade-in the police walking out of the tunnel ..... like in QUANTUM OF SOLACE, where bond and camille walk out of the desert, and it uses the fade to represent them walking towards the screen. just not make it as sudden, and that would also represent them as "ghosts" of the people that entered the tunnels in the first place, because of them being in there for three months!

the whole catwoman appearing thing was also something that could have been a little more dramatic, NOT the fact that she did come back, you could see her brain whirr when she blew the hole in the carwall baracade :D as she decided on her own direction to take. no, the fact that she was ALSO still on the batpod, something that isn't the most silent vehicle :p and didn't create any sort of noise or commotion as she entered the lobby of the building, and no reaction from either bane or batman or tate/talia! THAT'S the problem i have with her just being there, not the fact that she came back at all .....

the "how does bruce wayne get back into the city" wasn't a problem for me! lets face it, if he can escape an "inescapable" prison, THEN travel from there back the united states, and stole himself back into the city ..... he can easily get over the fact that tom conti just punched his back back together :D that would be EASY for someone like wayne!

and the reveal of the "bat" ..... oh dear ..... just watched the tumbler reveal in BB ..... bugger it IS the same :o DAMN MY PANICKY SELF :p the second reveal of the bat, when it used the EMP to kill the tumblers gun turret was damn good though and pretty funny too ..... ZOOMS down, pops the EMP, then ZOOMS back up again :D oh well, better luck next time!

but here's a thing about the editing technique they used in the entire trilogy, the VERY FIRST TWO SHOTS of batman begins has that edit in it, and as soon as i saw that, it did actually made me a little concerned at first, but because that edit is used SPARINGLY and not JARRINGLY, then it became a natural way of showing the necessary time dilation! i love the "reaction" edits used in the tumbler chase though, makes it very visceral and exciting!

see, it's just these little things that to me, CAN make the difference so the movie can continuously flow in a way.

i don't even have a problem with bane's voice, even with some taking the obvious argument of WHY he had an english accent? why did he, easy peasy ..... the shot of him, in flashback, of his MOUTH being patched up and bloody? all likely because the prisoners knocked all his teeth out as they bruttaly attacked him, to shut him up about kid talia escaping! then the league of shadows designing his mask to keep his pain threshold down (see TDKR's wikipedia) but even then, how could he speak at all ..... maybe they used a vocaliser to give his "voice" an etherial and very disturbing trait to it

and i cement my feelings on it being split into two parts, like the end parts of TWILIGHT and HARRY POTTER, but maybe they though because it was only the third one it put them off doing that ..... and to make and epic ending to the trilogy! it had a perfect cutoff, where they leave bruce in the prison!

so just like PROMETHEUS, a proper good rewatching it would do me good i believe :D
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people complain about Bruce returning to Gotham, they seem to forget that in Batman Begins he spent 7 (?) years travelling the world without the ID or money of Bruce Wayne. If he could do it then, I'm sure he could do it now, especially as he'd had more experience plus could have had escape funds squirrelled away. Plus of course in TDK he used smugglers to get into and out of Hong Kong. Even without the trust fund, he must still have connections. [I know you said it wasn't a problem for you, I'm just commenting]

I think that the main problem for TDKR is that TDK has been placed on a pedestal. TDKR had such insanely high expectations held against it, I think it was criticised to a higher level than TDK.

I re-watched all three this weekend just gone, and love them all. Sure, TDKR has various flaws and plotholes, but so do the other two. Hell, TDK in particular still has some glaring niggles for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooooooooookay .....

in my less lucid state, after watching it the first time in the dead of KNIGHT ..... i gave my initial impressions of this.

but after watching it this afternoon ..... i have to change my view on it!

IT IS GREAT ..... after all :D

most of the things i described were actually ..... *ahem* ..... actually RIGHT, and fitted in :o it is a rumbling monster of a movie, blake's storyline actually works better this time, the "bat" reveal is now as good as the tumbler reveal ..... i would have made it a clean reveal myself :D

the overall editing technique is an acquired taste, and done in moderation or in such a way it's not as noticable, and yes THAT scene with the cops coming out the tunnel would still be a bugbear ..... but perhaps not so, if you think who that shot focuses on ..... BLAKE!! that entire shot was just a background for that particular blake shot! I THINK :p

but in regard of my want for it to be split in two movies i still stand by that, expand it as poor JUNO becomes even less after second viewing but would love to see more of the "war" fight at the end ..... when the tumbler escapes and "she" says SHOOT THEM ALL ..... a little tweak and it would have been SHOOT THEM ALL then RUN THEM ALL DOWN! then foley's demise would have had a bigger impact! they did shoot a lot more and indeed of this moment .....

so overall i will think of this momentous movie a lot better from now on.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    union_jak wrote: »
    Since they never referred to her by name in the movie itself, I will continue to insist she WAS Holly Robinson. I don't care what the credits called her, she was Holly in every way to me :)

She seemed quite Holly-ish I guess.

I'm gonna watch TDKR again tonight.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I didn't rate this much on first viewing,in fact I was really disappointed but I've grown to like it in just the last few days.I 've watched it three times.I still find the middle scenes drag a bit in the prison sequences and Bane taking hold of Gotham.Also Batman has far too little screen time but apart from those things I think it's good.

At least this was about Bruce Wayne and had a linear plot whereas I feel Dark Knight completely sidelined him for Harvey Dent and Joker and there were too many sub-plots going on that were all anti-climatic IMHO.

The more I see this the more I like it but it's the opposite with TDK.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is dark knight rises gonna be on sky movies?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next few weeks I think.
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    How is this thread official by the way?

I still haven't got round to watching the final film, only watched the first film recently.

Heath Ledger's Joker was the best one!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    nWo 2013 wrote: »
    How is this thread official by the way?

None of these threads are official. Not the official movie ones, nor the official games ones big brother and so on.

Its just something people put on their thread titles because they want people to post in theirs rather than someone elses.

Sad really.
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    None of these threads are official. Not the official movie ones, nor the official games ones big brother and so on.

Its just something people put on their thread titles because they want people to post in theirs rather than someone elses.

Sad really.

:D Say it how it is why don't you!

Yes I thought as much, it seems to have worked :rolleyes:
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member

Sad really.
    Or....someone has taken the initiative and created a thread that encourages all the major news and discussion on a certain film/show to be posted together, rather than umpteen seperate threads that the mods waste time merging.

Helpful really.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or....someone has taken the initiative and created a thread that encourages all the major news and discussion on a certain film/show to be posted together, rather than umpteen seperate threads that the mods waste time merging.

Helpful really.

Exactly!
    There's no bigger forum turn-off than multiple forums on the same subject leave users wondering which one to post in.

The habit of someone making an "official" thread is great one.

Some people just love the "thrill" of starting their own thread and will try any convoluted way to start one about an already existing subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sad really.

Well at 62 pages, it worked.

Seriously, who cares?!
    Forum Member
    Or it is the OP wanting to have a huge number of pages on the thread otherwise why would there not be multiple threads on the same thing.

All amounts to the same thing.

Especially those who look out for the latest news and BAM make a thread to be first ALL the time lol
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Oh I agree that loads of threads for every question / new picture released is very annoying but the word official in the thread title shouldnt make everybody flock to it no more than if the word wasnt in the title.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nWo 2013 wrote: »
    Or it is the OP wanting to have a huge number of pages on the thread otherwise why would there not be multiple threads on the same thing.

All amounts to the same thing.

Especially those who look out for the latest news and BAM make a thread to be first ALL the time lol

Lets try and keep the thread positive eh?
    After all that's the advice you're giving out on another thread. It's rather incredulous that a new poster enters a thread not to comment on the film in discussion but to pull the OP apart.

You want to try practicing why you preach.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ..but the word official in the thread title shouldnt make everybody flock to it no more than if the word wasnt in the title.
    How do you suggest such a common type of thread identifies itself then?

And for flocking read popular - created to invite forum members to make relevant posts in one tidy place unless they feel their slant on the matter genuinely deserves a seperate thread. Keeps more variety on page one etc.