The next Doctor should be...

QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
Forum Member
✭✭
I strongly believe that the next Doctor should be wheelchair bound. What that would do for positive reinforcement of disabled people in the UK, Ireland and further afield would be amazing.

Just think of the extra difficulties the Doctor would have to over come.

What does everyone think?

Comments

• thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I strongly believe that the next Doctor should be wheelchair bound. What that would do for positive reinforcement of disabled people in the UK, Ireland and further afield would be amazing.

And a black gay woman. And that be a positive reinforcement blacks gays & woman's
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    And a black gay woman. And that be a positive reinforcement blacks gays & woman's

Or 'women' even. :D

OP, its nice that people have different ideas, but a wheelchair bound Doctor just wouldn't last long. You're right that in story terms it would provide extra difficulties for The Doctor. However, it would also provide extra problems in the story telling, given the limitations. I'm all for fair representation, but no offense this seems like it would be a novelty idea for the sake of it.

How long before we get a race between The Doctor and Davros? :o

I'd be all up for introducing a companion with a disability, but The Doctor has always been able bodied, and I think he should stay that way.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The doctor would only be able to visit planets that are wheelchair accessible

Yes its a nice idea but i dont think it would do much for positive reinforcement if i am honest
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    The doctor would only be able to visit planets that are wheelchair accessible

Yes its a nice idea but i dont think it would do much for positive reinforcement if i am honest

I agree. He's The Doctor, so whenever he is faced with a problem wheelchair bound people face every day, he will have some super duper way out of it, or use the sonic screwdriver. Not to mention the fact that he could probably start regenerating to heal his legs, then filter the energy into a handy 'hand' or something. :D
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For one or two episodes would be fine, not permanently because it's changing too much, almost as bad as if he ends up female :) It'd also probably be done just for political correctness.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

In theory, it's an interesting idea. But I think it would cause
    problems travelling up stairs, mountains, etc. So I don't think
    a permanently wheelchair-bound Doctor would be a good
    idea.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Hoverchair with wing mirrors and horn.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely he's a good enough Doctor to cure whatever crippled him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think your idea is right minded but wrong implementation. We do need more wheelchair bound characters to help positive reinforcement. Especially after Davros and Lumic!

Could the same be said for Mentally Disabled too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thelostone wrote: »

oh you forgot to include fat and over weight :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    The wheelchair idea would be ideal for a Benny Hill style chase with The Doctor, Davros and the Daleks ;)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    There's no reason he couldn't be wheelchair bound for a couple of episodes, as part of the plot. Would that be enough?

"Amy, Rory, the Daleks have attached bombs to my feet - I can't touch the ground. Fetch me my chair! And my comfy slippers!"
  • LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    oh you forgot to include fat and over weight :D

Thats Ricky Gervais cast then:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    If they go for an older Doctor, then how about David McCallum?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would make for an interesting storyline situation for a future episode. Prehaps on an alien planet where the gravity situation prevents any alien (Dr & companions) from being ably to walk and must use some form of a mobility device.
  • LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Warwick Davis should be the next Doctor.

He would never have issues with the Daleks as he could stand under their gun/plunger and disable them.

The Cybers would not be able to reach to delete him.

Then again he would probably never get out of the TARDIS as he wouldn't be able to reach the controls.:)
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about this idea myself. When I watched Ironside I didn't really see him as any different from Perry Mason, Columbo or any of the other detectives... The Wheelchair added nothing at all for me

Of course we could go the whole hog and make the Doctor become a Lincoln Rhymes - maybe not
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I'm disabled myself (arm disabled, not leg disabled) and I doubt a wheelchair bound actor could cope with the physical demands of the production over a long period of time. If they cast an able bodied actor to portray a disabled Doctor it would have the opposite effect so far as positive reinforcement goes and there'd be an outcry over the casting. A bit like a white actor 'blacking up' to portray a black Doctor.
    I remember a few people claiming that Denzel Washington basically stole the Lincoln Rhymes role from Christopher Reeve because he could've played it more convincingly :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,990
    Forum Member
    Everything else aside wouldn't it be a bit illogical that a regeneration , which is actually a mechanism to regenerate the body back into a full healthy person would suddenly make the doctor not able to walk.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything else aside wouldn't it be a bit illogical that a regeneration , which is actually a mechanism to regenerate the body back into a full healthy person would suddenly make the doctor not able to walk.
    Well it could go wrong, but I'm sure he'd fix that, not stay like it for an entire incarnation :rolleyes: :D
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next Doctor should be...

Kenneth Branagh
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well, just an idea. I guess not too many are keen on it. Just felt that were was the potential for a lot of story ideas.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh Laurie - now that House is ending, he could play an entirely different sort of doctor. Have to lose the accent, though.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie - now that House is ending, he could play an entirely different sort of doctor. Have to lose the accent, though.

As he's British anyway, it's less 'lose the accent' and more 'not need to put on the accent anymore'.
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next doctor should be ...

fantastic