Non reflective tv screen

Hi, i want to update my tv, i was looking for a non reflective screen as i have to have my tv at an angle and about a third of it will reflect from the window.
As you can see i have a 42" tv which is a LCD one which dosnt reflect much light and i see all plasma screens are "mirror like" which is not much good to me.
I wanted 3D one, about 50" (have a very large room) but it has to be matt type finish, willing to pay about £1000-1500.
I cant put the tv anywhere else it has to go in the corner.
I have looked on web sites but there not much good for showing off the screens and dont say if they have a matt finish or not.
Any help would be much appreciated.
PS. The more sockets on the back the better (3-4 HDMI's preferably)
dueler.

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like LCD is your best bet then. I think you're going to have to go visit some stores to see what's available.

Have you thought about putting some blinds on the window?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. FORGET Plasma!

LCD type TV's are the only way to go for matte screens.
    I bought a 42" plasma back in April after owning a 32" LCD before and within a couple of days it went back due to the screen reflection, which made it impossible to view correctly.

Sadly, non of the review sites I had visited even mentioned the reflection problems that can be found with large plasma screens.

I replaced the plasma with a 40" Sony LCD and can watch tv comfortably again now.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have read most plasma now include an anti-glare, anti-reflective coating. I've noticed that my LG plasma probably suffers less reflections then my old CRT TV.

Its difficult to tell in the store unless one is setup facing a window.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a digital camera photo with flash and see how much detail you see of reflections.
    Get some lined curtains or blackout blinds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies, i thought of blinds but when it is a nice day with the sun shinning :rolleyes:, you dont want to shut yourself away.
    Anyway thanks again for all your replies guys, much appreciated.

dueler.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    From what I have read most plasma now include an anti-glare, anti-reflective coating.

Which still leaves them far more reflective than an LCD.

I simply draw the curtains when watching mine :D
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since 3d tv screens use shutter glasses - there being no way to make a polarised panel - then polarised suglasses might help. Borrow some and see .......

(some projection screen 3d tvs might use polarising filters, I haven't checked .......).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Careful with Sony LCD's as some of the more expensive models have a coating on the screen to improve the contrast and that can cause a slight relection but no where near as bad as a plasma.
    Forum Member
    Thanks again guys and there are some good sugestions.
    Think i will have to go to town and have a look.
    Live a fair way from it.
    Thanks again for your input.

AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL:D

dueler.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Yep. FORGET Plasma!

LCD type TV's are the only way to go for matte screens.
    I bought a 42" plasma back in April after owning a 32" LCD before and within a couple of days it went back due to the screen reflection, which made it impossible to view correctly.

Sadly, non of the review sites I had visited even mentioned the reflection problems that can be found with large plasma screens.

I replaced the plasma with a 40" Sony LCD and can watch tv comfortably again now.

Get the cheapest plasma you will get almost no anti glare coating.

That being said if you have a full on day light reflection issue, you have to go full matte lcd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Get the cheapest plasma you will get almost no anti glare coating.

That being said if you have a full on day light reflection issue, you have to go full matte lcd.

[stares in disbelief at the quoted post]

If the OP states there's a problem with reflections, then why would he want a TV screen with "almost no anti glare coating" ?????
    Forum Member
    [stares in disbelief at the quoted post]

If the OP states there's a problem with reflections, then why would he want a TV screen with "almost no anti glare coating" ?????

Reread.... reread...reread the post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reread.... reread...reread the thread.

It's pretty much been established that dueler should be looking at LCD. Plasma has been ruled out way before your contribution. So why would they bother with a plasma, let alone a cheap plasma???

The mystery of pocatello lives on...lol
    Forum Member
    Reread.... reread...reread the thread.

It's pretty much been established that dueler should be looking at LCD. Plasma has been ruled out way before your contribution. So why would they bother with a plasma, let alone a cheap plasma???

The mystery of pocatello lives on...lol

I gave you a chance.

You claimed you stared at my post in disbelief. I surmise the post you were staring at only existed in your head. That is NOT what I said. So really, stop digging your hole deeper.
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, i only want a tv to watch that dont reflect the light:o
    thanks anyway chaps.
    dueler