Apple iPad Mini vs Google Nexus 7 vs Asus Transformer Pad Infinity?

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
Forum Member
✭✭
Which one is better?

I'm looking to purchase my first ever tablet and i can't decide between these 3 as they are my pick of the bunch. Will be choosing Wi-Fi model over 3G as it will mostly be for home use. And if possible a 32GB variant over 16GB.

I expect to use it for the following:

- browsing/surfing web (incl. FB/Twitter)
- checking emails
- playing games/apps
- online shopping
- download and watch tv via BBC iPlayer/ITV Player/4OD/Sky Go, etc
- watching vids on YouTube
- streaming/listening to music

Anyone own any of these and what do you think about them? What are your pro's and con's? Would appreciate any comments on cost, size, weight, memory, battery life, sound, screen, durability etc. Hope to receive some replies, many thanks.

Comments

• sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be here for years comparing them with pros and cons all good machines. the only thing if sky go is an important feature, you only really have apple iOS for that one.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheppy124 wrote: »
    Be here for years comparing them with pros and cons all good machines. the only thing if sky go is an important feature, you only really have apple iOS for that one.

Not true. Sky go now works on the google nexus 7:)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I expect to use it for the following:

- browsing/surfing web (incl. FB/Twitter)
    - checking emails
    - playing games/apps
    - online shopping
    - download and watch tv via BBC iPlayer/ITV Player/4OD/Sky Go, etc
    - watching vids on YouTube
    - streaming/listening to music

I do all of these on my Nexus 7, it's fab. Plus reading books, editing photos.... screen wise I use it to show clients my photography portfolio, the high res screen is excellent for photos (and higher res than the ipad mni)

Other main advantages vs the others - significantly cheaper, size is small enough to put in a inside jacket pocket. I can carry it everywhere, and do.

For me having Android is a big plus, but that's subjective.

Only thing I would change is battery life, but its comparable with its competitors; just an issue all round I think!
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    If you are looking at a transformer infinity, then do not discard the Nexus 10. Its a better tablet, than the infinity. Its also around the same size as the infinity and cheaper. Obviously both these tablets are larger than the ipad mini and Nexus 7. Sky go does not work on the Nexus 10...as far as I am aware.

If I had to choose between the ipad mini and Nexus7, I would go for the Nexus device. Its cheaper, has a far superior screen. Its also in 16:9 format, where the ipad is 4:3 format. 16:9 is better format for watching films, you wont get black bars above and below the film like you would with an ipad mini.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are comparing apples with oranges here. The infinity is a class above the other two both in price, capability and screen size. If you have the cash and don't need to carry the device around in one hand then to me its a no brainer and get the infinity.

As for comparing the infinity against the nexus 10, the dock makes all the difference. Keyboard, second battery and full size, full power USB and it acts as a stand and screen protector.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the Nexus 7 is the best. It has the best price, excellent hardware and accessories and does all of the above very well. I'm very happy with mine, it's brilliant. :)
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    You are comparing apples with oranges here. The infinity is a class above the other two both in price, capability and screen size. If you have the cash and don't need to carry the device around in one hand then to me its a no brainer and get the infinity.

As for comparing the infinity against the nexus 10, the dock makes all the difference. Keyboard, second battery and full size, full power USB and it acts as a stand and screen protector.

Fine if you want a dock based device. If you dont (like me), then it doesnt really add any benefit.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true. Sky go now works on the google nexus 7:)

Yep only, just I see, it's about time stretched into the android market more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Fine if you want a dock based device. If you dont (like me), then it doesnt really add any benefit.

and is the beauty of android, you can pick the device that suits your requirements.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus 7. For the price of the 16GB WiFi iPad Mini you could have a 32GB 3G/WiFi Nexus 7.

It's a no brainer!
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    I have both the iPad mini and the Nexus 7. For me, the go to device is the iPad. This is partly because I am very much an Apple user and locked into the ecosystem. However, I do prefer the screen for most things. Although the Nexus is higher res, I find the iPad more readable, partly because it is bigger and partly because of the 4:3 aspect ratio. Also, it is quite a bit lighter.
    The Nexus is obviously the better value, but if money is no object I would recommend the iPad.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    If you are looking at a transformer infinity, then do not discard the Nexus 10. Its a better tablet, than the infinity. Its also around the same size as the infinity and cheaper. Obviously both these tablets are larger than the ipad mini and Nexus 7. Sky go does not work on the Nexus 10...as far as I am aware.

You said not to discard the Nexus 10, i don't know much about it. In what was is it better?
    c4rv wrote: »

The reason i included Asus Transformer Pad Infinity into the mix is because it's bigger than the other 2 tablets and provides more function (i think at least?) plus having the added dock/keyboard makes it an even more attractive option. If anyone has this tablet be great to hear some feedback. Only negative is the cost which is a lot more than iPad Mini and Nexus 7.

I'm still undecided but i think right now it's between the Nexus 7 and Asus Transformer Infinity. Does anyone know if the Infinity has been updated to the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said not to discard the Nexus 10, i don't know much about it. In what was is it better?

The reason i included Asus Transformer Pad Infinity into the mix is because it's bigger than the other 2 tablets and provides more function (i think at least?) plus having the added dock/keyboard makes it an even more attractive option. If anyone has this tablet be great to hear some feedback. Only negative is the cost which is a lot more than iPad Mini and Nexus 7.

I'm still undecided but i think right now it's between the Nexus 7 and Asus Transformer Infinity. Does anyone know if the Infinity has been updated to the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update?

You would include the nexus 10 for the same reason you say you included the infinity. It's 10 inch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You will have to decide if you prefer iOS or Android. but my mate has the infinity and iPad 3 (yes he has too much money) and performance, screen wise, battery life, etc they are pretty much the same.

The advantage of the infinity is the dock, it has so much more expandability then the ipad that for him he uses it a lot more. The ability to plug in external hard disk it great for him, and something that I do on my TF101 as well.

And don't underestimate the dock being a stand. A 10" device is a pain to hold for extended periods and the ability to just plonk it down and put it at any angle is great. We recently went away for the weekend and rather then put up with the kack TV in the hotel, we loaded up a bunch of movies for the kids and they were able to put the tablet on a table and watch the films while we had a lie in :) Battery life is also very good, watched 3 films, three in the car without dock and 2 in the hotel with dock without charging which was good as I had forgotten the charger.

And again as I said, the dock for me makes it a better tablet then the nexus 10. But if you don't have the cash or the need for the dock then the nexus is a great device and google must to selling it at close to cost.

As for jelly bean, not sure but I think 4.1.1 was release a couple of months ago.