Derek Acorah cancels appearance due to "unforseen circumstances!"

Comments

• Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have met Derek and he told me stuff about my father he could not of known..they were not general point but very specific to him...
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Michael Jackson seance was comedy gold. Poor old June Sarpong must have wondered how she sank from interviewing Tony Blair to feigning amazement at a camp charlatan's impersonation of a dead paedophile?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws9gIYM713I

It was genius level tv gold.

You almost expected him to go 'is there anyone called Quincy here? How about Jermaine, Janet? Do those names mean anything to anyone?'

Like most of his ilk, he's a complete and utter charlatan
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG this is beyond pathetic! He has been prove a fake so many times I find it impossible to have any sympathy or understanding for anyone who is fooled by him!

It is really. I knew that it was just going to end up being a complete circus. He's an absolute and complete joke!
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have met Derek and he told me stuff about my father he could not of known..they were not general point but very specific to him...

In what way did you meet him? At one of his shows?
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that there's substantial evidence of him knowingly lying and faking, I find it fairly easy to put something like that down to a lucky guess or cold reading techniques.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then you must have, in some way, unintentionally gave him signals that led to this. Derek Acorah is about as genuine as Jocelyn Wildenstein's face. Not meaning to be nasty about her, but there you go.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is people will often remember a psychic reading like this:

"The psychic told me my father's name was Charles. She knew there had been a dispute over his will. She knew his wedding ring had been stolen by the care home staff."

However, when recordings of psychic readings are played back, the result is more like this:

"Who's Charles?"

Now Charles was a very common name in the early 20th Century. (As were other royal names such as George and Edward.) It could refer to anyone, living or dead. It could be their first name, middle name or surname. It even has the female version Charlotte.

There's a very good chance that a sitter will have had a relative or some other connection to the name Charles. (Or George, Edward, Henry, James...)

"He says don't worry about the money."

A very general statement which seems specific. You add your own meaning. It could be a dispute over the will or it could be literally anything to do with your finances.

"He says they took his wedding ring."

Jewellery is often removed before burial. If you say you inherited the ring, the psychic might tell you that your relative is pleased. If, however, the ring went to another relative or went missing, the psychic might tell you "It's in the wrong place!" which seems to confirm your own suspicions about the care home staff.

Next time, get a recording of the psychic reading and take your time picking it apart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cold reading is very easy to do and can make it seem like you know things. I went through a phase of going to psychics/clairvoyants etc., and they were all terrible and way, way off the mark. Apart from one, and what he said was spot on and something unique that literally only I knew about.

All the others used the same basic cold reading pattern along these lines:

I'm feeling that someone's had a health issue... (well, who hasn't?)
    I'm sensing some one old, grandfatherly... he was called William? No, George? No, Charles... (etc until they got the right name).
    He misses you very much (that works if he's alive or dead).
    I'm seeing some jewellery of some kind (who doesn't have some family heirloom knocking about?)
    He wanted you to have it (Someone leaving a grandchild something in their Will - hold the front page!).

Most of us, whatever our background or culture have family, elderly relatives dying or being in poor health, and so on. It's remarkably easy to say generic stuff and pick up on how people react.

For instance: if someone said to me: There's been ill health, there has. Then if they guessed cancer (one of the main big illnesses), they would see from my reaction that there has been. From that they can guess I've lost someone close to cancer etc etc. It's easy and it's cruel and it preys on people's distress.

The majority of psychics are just con artists, and they just want your money.
  • PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvettte, Carl and Stuart are just as bad in the believability stakes.

How about David Wells? Always liked him on there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know though, I know he's a con artist but my mum loves him. She went to see him a few months ago. She's not well and doesn't go out. She had the first and best night out in years so if its made her happy im happy.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Someone had been leaking the locations to him so he could find out facts and make it look like he was picking it up there and then. Keiron, the parapsychologist had his suspicions and started leaking made up stories and facts about the locations and caught him out when he started using all the fake stuff.

What, like when he did his Guy Fawkes special and was at the Tower and mumbled something about 'smelling blood and sensing fear'? *LOL* I loved that one.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yvette just used her scream and then said "did you hear that?" to make the viewers at home think that there was something happening when there clearly wasn't. Most Haunted just ended up being a comedy rather than something to be taken seriously.

And with all the cameras and microphones they used to hang up all around the location, whenever anything 'happened', it was always out of shot and the mikes were unable to pick it up clearly. Funny that...

I always feel sorry for those spirits hanging around those places, being asked to 'show themselves' and 'throw this pebble.' The crew would be shitting themselve if any of them really did!
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I have heard the OP headline about Acorah before, quite some time ago.

I remember he was at a Cornwall House standing before a portrait telling of all the black deeds this person had done in the past. It turned out to be a different portrait as the one he was feeling all the vibes about had been removed for cleaning. I went off him then and all the Most Haunted rubbish.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    Yvettte, Carl and Stuart are just as bad in the believability stakes.

How about David Wells? Always liked him on there.

..He is just as full of the brown stuff as Mr.Acorah, they all are...only thing is he isn't as animated and hence doesn't get the same negativity.

The only person worth listening to/who ever told the truth on Most Haunted was Ciaran O'Keefe and by the end even he got bored of being so honest and decided to ham it up for the viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Derek Acorah really is a very decent bloke. He fully believes in what he does and is committed to it. He doesn't change his tune because of the rubbish written about him on the internet and he doesn't sell "exposees" to The Daily Mirror for £20,000 a pop. As a psychic and a medium he does represent his beliefs well as opposed to changing them to suit the media. He can never prove what he does of course, but it amazes me that others who are well placed to prove him wrong (and I do mean prove with evidence as opposed to just selling nonsence to the newspapers) never do.

I had dinner with Derek and his wife a few months ago and half way through the meal, he suddenly started to recount details of what happened to me as a teenager. I have never shared any of those details with anyone in my professional life and I never wanted to discuss it with anyone. Even my husband did not know the details as it all happened over 30 years ago.

The details that Derek recounted were absolutely spot on. Within seconds, I was back in that time of my life. He described a much loved uncle who tried hard to remove me from a situation as a child and even managed to describe his dog. I'm in my mid fifties, but that evening was so cathartic for me. Other family members were also described very accurately.

I can't honestly say that I can be 100% certain that Derek can communicate with the spirit world because I don't communicate with any myself so am unable to confirm it. If it is not that though, I just do not begin to know how he does what he does. Nobody on this earth could have told me the things that Derek did that evening. Not even my elederly Mum, bless her.

All I would say to the naysayers is keep an open mind and apply some critical thinking to anything espoused in articles that come from the stable of Most Haunted. Just think for a moment, if there may have been some interested parties who had a good reason to discredit Derek as he left one programme to embark on another.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Bolls wrote: »
    Derek Acorah really is a very decent bloke. He fully believes in what he does and is committed to it. He doesn't change his tune because of the rubbish written about him on the internet and he doesn't sell "exposees" to The Daily Mirror for £20,000 a pop. As a psychic and a medium he does represent his beliefs well as opposed to changing them to suit the media. He can never prove what he does of course, but it amazes me that others who are well placed to prove him wrong (and I do mean prove with evidence as opposed to just selling nonsence to the newspapers) never do.

I had dinner with Derek and his wife a few months ago and half way through the meal, he suddenly started to recount details of what happened to me as a teenager. I have never shared any of those details with anyone in my professional life and I never wanted to discuss it with anyone. Even my husband did not know the details as it all happened over 30 years ago.

The details that Derek recounted were absolutely spot on. Within seconds, I was back in that time of my life. He described a much loved uncle who tried hard to remove me from a situation as a child and even managed to describe his dog. I'm in my mid fifties, but that evening was so cathartic for me. Other family members were also described very accurately.

I can't honestly say that I can be 100% certain that Derek can communicate with the spirit world because I don't communicate with any myself so am unable to confirm it. If it is not that though, I just do not begin to know how he does what he does. Nobody on this earth could have told me the things that Derek did that evening. Not even my elederly Mum, bless her.

All I would say to the naysayers is keep an open mind and apply some critical thinking to anything espoused in articles that come from the stable of Most Haunted. Just think for a moment, if there may have been some interested parties who had a good reason to discredit Derek as he left one programme to embark on another.

Thank you Sam...................
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe these folk that pretend to speak to folks who have died.It just plays so horribly on vulnerable people.
    Psychic Sally was exposed big style in Dublin last year when the audience heard her being fed information from backstage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    And with all the cameras and microphones they used to hang up all around the location, whenever anything 'happened', it was always out of shot and the mikes were unable to pick it up clearly. Funny that...

I always feel sorry for those spirits hanging around those places, being asked to 'show themselves' and 'throw this pebble.' The crew would be shitting themselve if any of them really did!

I highly doubt they went to any genuine haunted locations anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For some reason I don't believe any of this at all.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did he say it with Respect ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I realise nobody takes a voice recorder to a dinner party. However, these "The psychic told me things he couldn't possibly know!" anecdotes often become much less impressive when you analyse what was actually said and pick apart the techniques used.

How could Most Haunted set Derek up? Are you saying there really was a ghost whose name was an anagram of Derek Faker and they made-up the story of the planted name?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe these folk that pretend to speak to folks who have died.It just plays so horribly on vulnerable people.
    Psychic Sally was exposed big style in Dublin last year when the audience heard her being fed information from backstage.

No doubt she went mad with the technicians after the show had finished. I think she's a heartless cow.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unforseen, not the best reason for a psychic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise nobody takes a voice recorder to a dinner party. However, these "The psychic told me things he couldn't possibly know!" anecdotes often become much less impressive when you analyse what was actually said and pick apart the techniques used.

How could Most Haunted set Derek up? Are you saying there really was a ghost whose name was an anagram of Derek Faker and they made-up the story of the planted name?

One of the people I went to see was John Starkey and he tapes the conversation and you get to take the tape home. Very interesting to listen back to. He got me completely wrong. For a start he said I was from "The realm of the Celts".
    Now, I am a bit of a genetic mix, so to the untrained eye I do look very pale and North European. But someone with a gift should spot that I'm actually, technically, far more Indian than European.

So, yes, having a recording is very useful. You can hear them guessing their way to each "amazing" insight. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This video features an awesome breakdown of a reading which a satisfied customer remembered as being very accurate with the medium (Maureen Flynn) only mentioning about "half a dozen" similar-sounding names. In actual fact, she tried her luck with thirty-seven different names.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSPto8rvvs