HELP. Can I use TV Coax cable for my satellite installation?

TiffyTiffy Posts: 408
Forum Member

I have just been out looking for some new sat cable but the guy in Homebase said I could use standard coax cable.

Is he right?

Thanks.

Comments

• Zaphod_BZaphod_B Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiffy wrote:

I have just been out looking for some new sat cable but the guy in Homebase said I could use standard coax cable.

Is he right?

Thanks.
    Don't think so but I'm not sure.

A quick check on various websites . . .

Standard co-ax is 75 ohms per metre (80 x 0.12mm dia copper braid).

Satellite cable also appears to be 75 ohms per metre (1 x 1mm dia solid copper conductor with 64 x 0.12mm dia copper braid).

Is there any price difference? I suspect the satellite cable would be viewed as a 'permium' product and therefore more expensive! So ordinary co-ax seems to be OK to use! Go with the cheapest and if it's the ordinary brown co-ax, let us know how you get on.

Zaph
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiffy wrote:
    Not outside. Use screened satellite cable designed for that purpose.
  • JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not outside? Surely the issue is one of electrical (RF) compatibility rather than environmental protection. Aerial coax is just as waterproof - in the same way that the termination is not.
  • Zaphod_BZaphod_B Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not? Ordinary terrestrial TV from your aerial is routed outside in about 98%+ of households. Do you have a good reason for posting that ordinary TV co-ax should not be used outdoors?

Zaph
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Tiffy wrote:

Is he right?

Thanks.
    NO he should not be giving duff advice. :mad:

TV coax has to much antenuation per metre.
    There is a good chance the coax will not slide through the connection barrel.
    Use what is correct for the hardware being connected.
  • tight farttight fart Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    It would depend on a few things and being in or outside is not one of them. The most important thing is the length of run and the quality of the cable. I would be suprised if Homebase sell anything but the cheapest coax available. If your cable run is no more than 4/5 metres it will probably be fine. The main difference between older type TV cable and "satellite" cable is screening. If you have already got the cable then it's worth a try. If not get a good quality cable such as CT100, H109f or any benchmarked cable.
  • mob227mob227 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    im in the satellite trade and if you go to any good eletrical wholesalers the will probley hook you up with a 100 metre roll of ct100 for about £9 to £10 pounds plus the vat i only pay £7.87 plus vat for 100m roll of it, with cable the main thing is to have the main center core sheilded useing foil cheap brown tv coax does not have this and is a bit thinner so the f connectors dont fit as well,

so what your saying is correct :) ,

some people must be mad buying cable from places like homebase and b&q have you seen the price's they charge
    tight fart wrote:
    It would depend on a few things and being in or outside is not one of them. The most important thing is the length of run and the quality of the cable. I would be suprised if Homebase sell anything but the cheapest coax available. If your cable run is no more than 4/5 metres it will probably be fine. The main difference between older type TV cable and "satellite" cable is screening. If you have already got the cable then it's worth a try. If not get a good quality cable such as CT100, H109f or any benchmarked cable.
  • TiffyTiffy Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I posted this same question in the Technical section of the Satellite forum and only got one response.

Huge thanks to all those in the Sky+ forum - I know where to ask next time :)
  • jeallen01jeallen01 Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't ordinary TV coax indoors either!

There is far more interference inside the house - from all the appliances and AV equipment AND SAT set-top boxes - and many of us have had a lot of trouble in this area. Personally, I certainly had a lot of trouble with a very early PACE digibox when I used the patch lead that came with it and there was a lot of interference to the TV picture.
    (never had any trouble with the previous analogue sat kit!)

Only solved the problem when I replaced ALL the cables around the AV set-up with proper double-screened sat cable. Never used anything else since and rarely have trouble.

Cheap double-screened sat cable may not be as good as the best foam-filled WF100 etc (which I tend to use outdoors), but it is a damn sight better than cheap TV coax - if you remove the sheath from some of it there is hardly any screening there at all, just a few strands of thin screening wire that covers only 25-50% of the insulator.

Also, you can fit ordinary TV coax plugs to sat cable quite easily, and the latter is smaller in diameter so it is easier to route. But DON'T bend it sharply or, like TV coax, it will flatten and kink and that will seriously affect the signal.

Don't waste your time and money on the cheapest stuff as you may well have to do the job again later - and the guy in Homebase is obviously a complete and/or untrained idiot (and you tell him that from me the next time you see him!)

John
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't get to an electrical wholesaler (CEF, Senate, etc.), B&Q sell proper CT100 satellite grade coax. A 50m drum will cost about £10.

I normally buy mine from CEF, but the last time I tried, they had sold out!

I use CT100 for all my coax - aerial and Sky - except for the main feed from the dish (Sky+ "shotgun" cable).
  • tight farttight fart Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    mob227 !!
    First thing first, If your in the satellite trade you should know the difference between CT100 and RG6, you can only buy CT100 at £7.87 if it's stolen or not CT100. i.e. RG6.
    If I'm wrong I'll buy 50 kms from you at £9 per 100m netting you a nice profit. I would prefer it on 250m rolls though please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    Do you have a good reason for posting that ordinary TV co-ax should not be used outdoors?
    There are several which other posters have already mentioned on this thread. They are mainly to do with interference from mobile phones, car ignition systems etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeallen01 wrote:
    Don't ordinary TV coax indoors either!

There is far more interference inside the house -Don't waste your time and money on the cheapest stuff as you may well have to do the job again later - and the guy in Homebase is obviously a complete and/or untrained idiot (and you tell him that from me the next time you see him!)
    Good quality cable is worth paying the extra for, even down to the scart lead that connects your digibox to your TV.