Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    How does Brendan find the time to do it with the tour and the film? I'm sure they'll be to squeeze it in. I loved to see him do a Mrs Brown Comic Relief sketch.

Seemingly there is some doubt as to whether there will even be a Series 4. The latest news a few months ago was that no such series was planned for early 2014, but I'm guessing that the huge success of MBB at Christmas might force Brendan into a rethink.

Apparently the movie is supposed to be made this year, but maybe the way things are going, all bets are off......I imagine the BBC and RTE are far more interested in another series and are not enthused about the movie idea at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the one with Joeeeeeeee Dufffffffffffy.

Yes, that's the one :)
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »

Apparently the movie is supposed to be made this year, but maybe the way things are going, all bets are off......I imagine the BBC and RTE are far more interested in another series and are not enthused about the movie idea at all.

Don't think the script been written yet, Universal are backing it and if it does film this year, it'll be released in 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think the script been written yet, Universal are backing it and if it does film this year, it'll be released in 2014.

Also MBB appears to be rapidly gaining momentum and is being picked up by foreign TV channels. I wonder if Brendan would really interrupt that momentum to go off in a different direction when logic suggests it would be better to go with a fourth series while interest is huge.....I'm not sure at all that a two year break would be a good idea.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    These are the ones I know -

Cathy Brown - played by Brendan's wife
    Winnie - played by his sister
    Grandad - played by Winnie's real life father in law
    Buster Brady - played by his son
    Betty - Buster's real life wife, Brendan's daughter in law
    Maria Nicholson - played by his daughter
    Dermot Brown - is not related by blood but I believe he has been a close family friend for many many years
    Bono - played by his real life grandson

Sharon - Winnie's daughter - is played by his sister in law (she's Cathy Brown's sister in real life)
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does Brendan find the time to do it with the tour and the film? I'm sure they'll be to squeeze it in. I loved to see him do a Mrs Brown Comic Relief sketch.

I would love see Mrs Brown meet Joannie Taylor (Nan in the Catherine Tate Show)
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I don't get the Australian reference. Is Brendan huge over there?
    He is indeed : the first two series of MBB have already been shown on Channel Nine (and attracted big audiences) :)

It ws a surprise hit for channel seven last Winter, despite changing slots and rubbish lead ins. Eventually finished going out on Sundays at 8.30 (in effect a promotion). Depends what lead in they give it this year, but it could easily do better.

Only the big bang theory is bigger in terms of comedy in australia right now
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why but I don't seem to be finding this series as funny as the first two for some reason. But that always seems to happen when comedians are forced into writing another series due to popularity. You can't force comedy out of people or else there's a chance they will dry up.

This has happened to so many writers of tv comedy. The minute something becomes a hit they get pressured into writing more. Then when it's not as funny, it gets dropped instead of bowing out gracefully on a high like Gavin and Stacy or Pheonix Nights and Fawlty Towers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I don't know why but I don't seem to be finding this series as funny as the first two for some reason. But that always seems to happen when comedians are forced into writing another series due to popularity. You can't force comedy out of people or else there's a chance they will dry up.

This has happened to so many writers of tv comedy. The minute something becomes a hit they get pressured into writing more. Then when it's not as funny, it gets dropped instead of bowing out gracefully on a high like Gavin and Stacy or Pheonix Nights and Fawlty Towers.

Though I think Series 3 is holding up pretty well myself. Series 2 was slightly patchy in places (and the ratings are well up on the first two series).
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I think Series 3 is holding up pretty well myself. Series 2 was slightly patchy in places (and the ratings are well up on the first two series).

That could be because it's only managed to get noticed and gain popularity in the last 12 months. I know loads of people who until late last year had not yet seen it but tuned in this time for the first time so maybe it's all the latecomers that's boosted the ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The séance scene tonight was one of the funniest this series :D
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant!
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree series 2 was good but wasnt as funny as series one. however am loving series 3 so far :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree series 2 was good but wasnt as funny as series one. however am loving series 3 so far :)

I think the first three episodes of this series proper have been superb (and there are signs the overall structure of the show has improved) :)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode of the series so far for me tonight! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redser : "Do you miss me??"

Cathy : "Mammy!"

Agnes : "I'm f**king thinking"

LOL :D:)
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The séance scene tonight was one of the funniest this series :D

Was it?
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,931
    Forum Member
    Dial-a-dick is credited in the next ep, if it's anything like it was in one of the stage plays it should be worth a watch
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    Was it?

That's nice!!
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply love Mrs Browns Boys...even at its worst it's still a million times funnier than any other comedy show since Father Ted...and even then Father Ted comes second! I cry with laughter every time I watch it...even repeats.
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,345
    Forum Member
    notin wrote: »
    Was it?

Yes it was !!!!:)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    That's nice!!

I've lost count of the amount of times I've used that reply :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've found that if a series has a weak episode compared to the others, it's usually episode two that gets tucked in early after the opener, and i thought the first series episode two was padded out a bit, and the pace dropped off compared to other S1 episodes. The obvious weak one in S2 was definitely episode 2 with the contrived group therapy scenes, but this third series has been consistently funny so far. [apart from the second xmas special].
    I thought this factor was much apparent in the third series of Father Ted with the episode about the sheep with Ted doing a Hercule Poirot sendup lecture at the end and the last but one [Night of the nearly Dead[sendup of Daniel O'Donnell was pretty ropey as well. The others in that series were very good, from what I saw of them.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that left me puzzled on monday (though it was a great episode imo), is why Winnie was giving daft answers to the health tester?
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that left me puzzled on monday (though it was a great episode imo), is why Winnie was giving daft answers to the health tester?

Mrs Brown was earlier 'coaching' Grandpa in the wrong answers -so he would prove to the assessor that his mental state was not all it should be -then he'd be taken off Mrs Brown's hands for a fortnight. She could then have her holiday. Winnie overheard and thought they were the correct answers.