Mac not downloading my photos

Until today, my mac didn't recognise my camera, but showed it as No Name in iPhoto and downloaded the photos with no problem.
Today it's reading it correctly as a Lumix, but no photos are being read and displayed - just get "Lumix" and a black screen - so obviously I can't download them from the camera to the mac. It's an older MBPro so no SD card slot.

Any ideas on what may be wrong and how to fix it please?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the pictures accessible using Image Capture ?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    usb card readers with sd (& other) slots are very cheap
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider what you changed, which affected the behaviour. It's invariably something you did, since last you connected the camera, although you may have forgotten about it.

If that doesn't help, reboot and run Applejack. That often fixes mysterious symptoms for me.

BTW: when you ask a question, always state your OS version. They aren't all the same and sometimes the answer is OS dependent.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    sorry, OS is Lion 10.7.5.
    Panasonic Lumix is 2009/10 model DMC TZ7. Their website shows no software updates, just user operating manuals.
    iPhoto hasn't been updated since Lion's install in about sept 2012.
    It's never read the device as 'Lumix' before, always No Name. I always connect with usb.
    I've changed nothing. Only thing I can think of is the last few times, I've had to manually open iPhoto instead of connecting the camera by usb and iPhoto auto opens. Image Capture doesn't work either.
    I can find similar moans re suddenly refusal to recognise certain Canon cameras by googling, but no solutions other than having to use a card reader. I'm going to ring Panasonic CS for help on monday. But if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
    I'm not familiar with Applejack. What does it do? (I will google it as well).
    thank you
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Does your Panasonic, offer a choice of modes, such as storage or PC when initially connected?
    Forum Member
    Yes, when you connect it,it offers PC (or Pictbridge so n/a) as the option.
    Used to auto open either iPhoto or image capture, show the images and I chose which I wanted to download.
    Now I get Lumix and a blank screen.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I guess you've tried to view the photos on the camera to see if the card is corrupt, and also make sure the photos are stored on the card and NOT any internal camera memory?

Although even the internal memory ought to show up on the Mac.
    Forum Member
    Yes, the SD card is fine. I'm going to try a cheap card reader next.
    The mac downloaded photos from the same card a week before this issue came up. Could it be a withdrawal of support, or else something Panasonic has done? I've not had time to call them yet and their website isn't helpful.

thanks for your help btw.