COM7 mux, Al Jazeera HD - LCN 108

Comments

• BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OwenSmith wrote: »
    ..., a few minority HD channels aren't going to upset us we'd far rather have decent speed broadband and good mobile phone reception.
    Here, here! I would rather have better quality programme content than HD versions of repeats of stuff that doesn't interest me.
  • reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... That's what 4G is about, near nationwide coverage....

In a few years the physical post will be replaces by (mandatory use of) E-mail and other internet solutions. 'Society' will not pay for personal physical access to public services, if a net access will do the job. The postman will maybe deliver physical mail once a week if that often and the doctor will see you online or e.g just receive a list with your blodsugar.level.

This will not be an option, but be mandatory for all but the very weakest or most disabled.

So don't expect anyone to care for you wishes - you will not even be asked.

A modern society cannot be competetive without using the net.

Lars :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reslfj wrote: »

It only needs a major denial of service terrorist attack to show how vulnerable the internet is to cause a bit of a rethink.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a few years the physical post will be replaces by (mandatory use of) E-mail and other internet solutions. 'Society' will not pay for personal physical access to public services, if a net access will do the job. The postman will maybe deliver physical mail once a week if that often and the doctor will see you online or e.g just receive a list with your blodsugar.level

The postman delivering only once a week will get a hernia from the mountain of Amazon parcels they'll have to deliver. Letters are dying, but parcels are increasing due to online ordering.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might but I don't. Unless you're simply assuming that BBC4/CBeebies HD and BBC News HD are going on COM7.

Not exactly much of a leap to make - COM7 will be the only mux on air when they are due to launch.

Also 4seven HD & Channel 4+1 HD.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The postman delivering only once a week will get a hernia from the mountain of Amazon parcels they'll have to deliver. Letters are dying, but parcels are increasing due to online ordering.

I have given up on Royal Mail for Amazon deliveries as they only deliver during the working day. Get them delivered to a pick up locker instead.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a few years the physical post will be replaces by (mandatory use of) E-mail and other internet solutions. 'Society' will not pay for personal physical access to public services, if a net access will do the job. The postman will maybe deliver physical mail once a week if that often and the doctor will see you online or e.g just receive a list with your blodsugar.level.

This will not be an option, but be mandatory for all but the very weakest or most disabled.

So don't expect anyone to care for you wishes - you will not even be asked.

now I agree that the net will be more important, but things like post and doctors thats over the top and will NEVER happen! Other people have already commented re the post and parcels ect but how can a doctor examine you properly if they need to feel for something? and dont say that some kind of electronic apparatus can be used doctors arent going to do that and bisides who is going to afford to buy that to have in their house? Sorry its just the most stupid idea Ive ever heard!!
  • reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... Letters are dying, but parcels are increasing due to online ordering.
    ... Get them delivered to a pick up locker instead.

Indeed. All levels of government will need to reduce costs as much as possible and force more people into productive and competitive jobs outside the public sector.

Telemedicine is very high on the list of technology that can create very significant savings. Not the one time illness, but things like regular control of diabetes, blood pressure, heart rhythm etc etc that only requires a simple reporting and maybe a new prescription or a small change in medication.

You may think this is not possible, you may even in some cases be right, but the political course is set, and it will happen.

• Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Greebo wrote: »
    This is a practical interim solution. The alternative is not to do it. So the choice is between (1) almost everyone benefits in some way, though not all equally, or (2) noone benefits.

You appear to think (2) is better. I don't.

How you bandy about the word solution as it's no solution for the people who won't get these channels and as for not doing it at all, the result is the same for them. They don't get it if they do and don't get it if they don't.

Just when are people watching on the Dover transmitter going to benefit in any way?

And the BBC are not being platform neutral if they are launching in such a way that people can't get it. They are simply not supplying it to everyone and so the people who can't get it are left at a disadvantage not treated neutrally.

As I said, this is making Freeview look very bad and why would people want it when they can get all the BBC output that they are forced to pay for, on Freesat or get treated as second class on Freeview?

All this hippy blue sky thinking of 'oh well as long as some people are getting it, it wonderful!' is utter nonsense.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this hippy blue sky thinking of 'oh well as long as some people are getting it, it wonderful!' is utter nonsense.

Quoting me as saying something I didn't is out of order.

How about you present us with your solution? How are you going to magically get 100% coverage for com7/8?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Quoting me as saying something I didn't is out of order.

How about you present us with your solution? How are you going to magically get 100% coverage for com7/8?

I suppose nationwide SFNs for the two MUXs are out?
    Sorry I got in there before Roland Mouse could reply!
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the BBC are not being platform neutral if they are launching in such a way that people can't get it. They are simply not supplying it to everyone and so the people who can't get it are left at a disadvantage not treated neutrally.

This has little to do with platform neutrality. The BBC aren't operating the multiplexes, Arqiva are. The BBC are merely making these channels available where facilities are available for their carriage. If the transmitters aren't there, the additional channels can't be transmitted. Ultimately, it's not the BBC's decision but the Government's and Ofcom's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    This has little to do with platform neutrality. The BBC aren't operating the multiplexes, Arqiva are. The BBC are merely making these channels available where facilities are available for their carriage. If the transmitters aren't there, the additional channels can't be transmitted. Ultimately, it's not the BBC's decision but the Government's and Ofcom's.

I agree, I also think the BBC have done their best by using what they have (A.K.A the 5th slot on the PSB3 MUX), to get the best they could without shutting down the SD channels they have(which obviously cant be done at the moment).
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I suppose nationwide SFNs for the two MUXs are out?
    Sorry I got in there before Roland Mouse could reply!

There aren't 2 clear frequencies available across the country with international clearance for use as SFNs. In any event, as mentioned previously, the transmitter network would have to be rebuilt to operate as an SFN.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    Doesn't the 50% rollout indicate the percentage of the population which will be able to receive COM7 if they had a T2 set, not 50% of sites or 50% of the land area?

Yes - 50% of the population if they have DVB-T2 devices. The 50% will also include "coverage in the nations", so look out for the service going live before Xmas at Wenvoe, Divis and Black Hill.

P.S. thanks to Toxteth O Grady for the informative reply upthread re AJE HD.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    10 December is apparently the launch date for the new BBC HD channels on Virginmedia. That would be logical as it will give time for the most new transmitters to be up and running but to be available for the Christmas period.

Is that for all the BBC HD channels or just BBC Three and CBBC HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given up on Royal Mail for Amazon deliveries as they only deliver during the working day. Get them delivered to a pick up locker instead.

Yes but Royal Mail take it to the local delivery office for me to collect, which is within walking distance of where I work. And even if it weren't it is always quite local. Whereas couriers say "you weren't in, come and collect it from us, we're 35 miles away from you" which is a pain in the neck. I deliberately use Amazon because I know they use Royal Mail for deliveries, it's so much more convenient than couriers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I point out that we will also get BBC3 and BBC4 on iPlayer in "HD" as a result of this, since the BBC won't roll a channel out on HD unless it can do so on all platforms. These muxes might have poor coverage but without them we wouldn't get the channels in HD on iPlayer, Satellite and Cable. If I can't get the terrestrial signal (borderline from Sandy Heath) I may try iPlayer and compare its HD to the Freeview SD picture and sound.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I point out that we will also get BBC3 and BBC4 on iPlayer in "HD" as a result of this, since the BBC won't roll a channel out on HD unless it can do so on all platforms. These muxes might have poor coverage but without them we wouldn't get the channels in HD on iPlayer, Satellite and Cable. If I can't get the terrestrial signal (borderline from Sandy Heath) I may try iPlayer and compare its HD to the Freeview SD picture and sound.

Erm.. iPlayer doesn't do live HD - at least none I can see.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Erm.. iPlayer doesn't do live HD - .

YET.... but the Connected RB is /will be HD....
    as the Infrastructure improves.... all the way from Maidenhead to your home ..

can I just remind every one that mux 7 and 8 are (very) temporary using redeployed transmitter kit .
    with the PSB aim to stop emitting SD on all platforms....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Erm.. iPlayer doesn't do live HD - at least none I can see.

I said nothing about live. I'm quite happy to wait for catchup, it doesn't bother me in the slightest watching things a few days later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can I just remeideveryoien that mu 7 and 8 ....
    I think your keyboard is unwell!
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I think your keyboard is unwell!
    iPad !
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said nothing about live. I'm quite happy to wait for catchup, it doesn't bother me in the slightest watching things a few days later.

Sorry, it wasn't clear from your previous post. I obviously misunderstood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YET.... but the Connected RB is /will be HD....
    as the Infrastructure improves.... all the way from Maidenhead to your home ..

can I just remind every one that mux 7 and 8 are (very) temporary using redeployed transmitter kit .
    with the PSB aim to stop emitting SD on all platforms....

so are you saying that is a definite for say 2018 (or there abouts) weather the 700MHz clearance happens or not and that the non PSB channels have no such commitment, but will say have to transmit their SD on DVB-T2/DVB-S2?