Do you like Exclusive Content for games?

HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
Forum Member
✭✭
Exclusive content is something that has become a bit of a trend this generation. Sometimes it certain console that have extra content added, other times it certain retails offering extra or special content.

But is this something you think is a good idea?

Do you like Exclusive Content for games? 40 votes

Yes
17% 7 votes
No
82% 33 votes

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, but I can see why the console makers court developers and publishers to get exclusive content.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    No, no, no - I believe games should be a single piece of work. It's stuff like this that puts me off gaming.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Not really, but I can see why the console makers court developers and publishers to get exclusive content.

I can understand why they do as well.

But for me if I get extra content I am normally left disappointed at how average it is and if I don't get any extra content I am left disappointed because I feel I am missing out on something (Even though in the back of my mind I know there is a good change it will be average anyway).

Basically extra content usually leaves me disappointed.

The only time I actually enjoy bonus content is when I buy a used game and find a code that works and feel like I have got something I shouldn't have got.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I just want to buy a game, and get what I've paid for. A good game that was worth buying.

I hate the "oh well my console gives you this if you get it on that" crap that comes with it, because ultimately it hurts the people that can't afford / don't have enough time for two or more consoles.

But I suppose we've all survived somehow this long and none of us have lost a limb out of not getting one or other of exclusive content.:D
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand why software companies do it but I do think its a bit of a p*ss take in general for DLC when you end up spending double the cost of the original game!

I prefer the "old days" when you bought a game and that was it!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a multi-format gamer I don't approve of exclusive content.

When buying single player games, I get the format which has the better controls / performance. For multi-player games I get the version which my friends are most likely to have.

If a format holder wants me to buy their version, they should make sure their controller is up to scratch and their hardware / dev kits are as good as they can be. We shouldn't need to be swayed by back-room deals.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLC is a different kettle of fish. If a game is popular, why not add to it? If you like said game, then you'll buy the DLC. But if it's made, it's usually universal.

I don't like exclusive content. If there is extra content, it should be added into the base game for all.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Store Specific Content is the one that annoys me, something UbiSoft and Warner Bros seem to abuse.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a massive pain in the arse. Especially when 95% of the time the stuff is rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

It is often crap. It means they spend copious amounts of money on it, raising costs that ultimately has to be passed on to us. It means you are 'forced' to only play it on one device, or purchase from one retailer.

Bad, bad, bad.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Pre-order exclusive content is fricking annoying as well.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not such an issue on PC (although steam sometimes has the "pre order and get something extra" but thats not so bad, and its most likely tf2 hats, like it always is :P). It seems bad on consoles though, like getting it from one place gets you one thing, but another place and you get something different. Worse when its DLC, like mass effect which had some DLC on xbox, others on ps3, all over the place.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I would say here's hoping it won't happen for next gen but sure anyway :rolleyes:

I think mobile gaming played a very big part in how much "extra" stuff you can buy.

I know it happened in the old days, but it seemed like it was something worth going for then.

Nowadays, for example, you get crappy stuff like making your gun glow in COD. Like seriously?? And PEOPLE BUY IT! Which means they know they can release crap and still have people part with hard earned cash.

I know most of what I talked about there was DLC rather than exclusive content, but they're nearly one in the same!
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not bothered.
    If i find a game that happens to not be available for the PC then i just ignore and forget the game.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. When i buy a game i expect everything to be made avaliable to me at the point of purchase. Silly "add ons" are just a way for them to make more moeny, and i will never ever purchase additional content.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLC is a different kettle of fish. If a game is popular, why not add to it? If you like said game, then you'll buy the DLC. But if it's made, it's usually universal.

I don't like exclusive content. If there is extra content, it should be added into the base game for all.

I get your point but the DLC stuff that usually gets added should have been there in the first place. Why she should people need to pay more for something we should already have ?

Game companies have been abusing the DLC system since it started, it should be ditched in my opinion.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I'm not bothered by it. If I buy a game it's because of the whole game, not just additional content.