Cats messing in my garden!!!!!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this problem so will definitely try the plants suggested above.

According to some of the cat lovers in GD we are supposed to shut-up and accept it...:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    When I retired I bought a good water-pistol and kept watch for a few days, going outside with it as soon as I saw a cat coming into the garden. After a couple of days being squirted with water, there were no cats for several days. They try again from time to time but now just opening the door or the window sees them off. It probably wouldn't be effective for anyone who is out at work all day.

One used to poo in a large plant container in spring before the bulbs came up, so I cut several pieces of a quince shrub (very thorny!) and put them sticking up. That also stopped.

I think it's becoming more of a problem because so many gardens have been covered with concrete or tiles etc and cats want to dig before they do their business and then cover it up afterwards.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any advice on how to stop cats fouling in my garden. Have tried all the pellets, powders etc from garden centre and no luck! It's getting ridiculous now....Clearing up after them everyday!

usually cats bury their "poo".
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsKAS wrote: »
    Well we tried all sorts in our garden including a sonic cat scarer ( the cat poo'd in front of it:mad:)

The best thing we found was man-wee, its all about marking the territory, you only need a little bit ( don't want your garden smelling like a urinal) put in the area the cat poo's and it will keep them away

*lady-wee doesn't work due to different hormones etc
    my husband is on man wee duty now. lol .ive tried vinegar, curry powder, bleach and that awful strong smelling St. izal disinfectant. this stuff works but i have to slosh it around every day and its stinks . i love cats but this one is turning by front gravelled path into a litter tray. we have to walk on this path so its a serious problem. lets hope the man wee works soon.
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    usually cats bury their "poo".

they dont.
  • Aurora04Aurora04 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Cathye143 wrote: »
    When I retired I bought a good water-pistol and kept watch for a few days, going outside with it as soon as I saw a cat coming into the garden. After a couple of days being squirted with water, there were no cats for several days. They try again from time to time but now just opening the door or the window sees them off. It probably wouldn't be effective for anyone who is out at work all day.

One used to poo in a large plant container in spring before the bulbs came up, so I cut several pieces of a quince shrub (very thorny!) and put them sticking up. That also stopped.

I think it's becoming more of a problem because so many gardens have been covered with concrete or tiles etc and cats want to dig before they do their business and then cover it up afterwards.

Unfortunately most people do not have time to sit and wait.

There are only 2 choices:

1] live with it and try various aforementioned techniques to try and deter them.

2] more drastic measures.eg if you have pests in the house such as mice or rats most people would lay down poison or traps.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora04 wrote: »
    They like freshly dug soil so try and avoid this by heavy planting.

They also like my concrete and paved areas.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick them up & kiss them. All cats need kissing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat hating rottie solved my cat problem
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    they dont.

Both of mine do... one gets quite stressed if he`s unable to cover up his mess.

I made a small area behind my oil tank and keep refreshing the soil so they`re both quite happy to use that everyday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never minded cats in our garden - tends to be what cats do, and they usually run off when they hear my dog being let out. However, there is one that I can only refer to as a small puma. It treats the garden as it's own personal territory, last summer it scratched my poor dog's eye (£300 in vets bills!). We've tried scare tactics (cat silhouette, bright lights, just letting the dog out not that she'll do anything but half-arsed chase them) will be keeping some of these ideas in mind, thanks. Not the poison or trap one though - that is really cruel.
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    The best deterrent is to have a cat of your own! Other cats won't use your garden as a loo when the garden belongs to your cat!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any advice on how to stop cats fouling in my garden. Have tried all the pellets, powders etc from garden centre and no luck! It's getting ridiculous now....Clearing up after them everyday!

Sorry to be so blunt. but tough titties.

Cats are free roaming animals and they have a right to do their business outdoors wherever they please. They will almost always do it in soil so that it can be partially buried, rather than on a hard surface, so it shouldn't be a major issue. Plus, cat shit doesn't pose a health risk in the same way that dog crap does.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat hating rottie solved my cat problem
    Aurora04 wrote: »
    Unfortunately most people do not have time to sit and wait.

There are only 2 choices:

1] live with it and try various aforementioned techniques to try and deter them.

2] more drastic measures.eg if you have pests in the house such as mice or rats most people would lay down poison or traps.

Nasty and stupid suggestions. No one should hurt or kill an animal.
    katywil wrote: »
    they dont.

Actually the majority of the time they do.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Freeman000 wrote: »

Cats are free roaming animals and they have a right to do their business outdoors wherever they please. They will almost always do it in soil so that it can be partially buried, rather than on a hard surface, so it shouldn't be a major issue. Plus, cat shit doesn't pose a health risk in the same way that dog crap does.
    That's untrue. Lots of cats don't go on soil and they use paths or grass instead, so no chance of burying it.

Of course it is a health risk.

People have the right to protect their property so if a cat comes home soaking wet or whatever, the owner only has themselves to blame.
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Nasty and stupid suggestions. No one should hurt or kill an animal.

Actually the majority of the time they do.
    I agree with the first part of your post. The second part, not so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing I found was SCAT it is just a mix of Lion and Tiger poop, very effective against the cats.

Also I have found planting thorny type plants near the areas where the cats enter or sit in the garden it gets rid of them as well.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »

Maybe you should educate yourself before making dumb statements,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

And domesticated cats are not free roaming.