The BBC - content warnings - very strong language

Comments

• popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Kirsty Young has a lovely swearing voice.

I thought it was just me that thought that :D
    She does make it sound really sensual :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early seasons of South Park were self-censored, because the producers worked out that if they bleeped it themselves they'd be able to pass more uncut than if Comedy Central bleeped it (though on occasion Comedy Central have re-bleeped episodes). In later seasons they produced uncut international versions and bleeped US versions.

But they still need permission from Comedy Central to release the uncut version, which is why an uncut version of "201" has never surfaced.

I can understand CC caution with foreign markets, rules vary from country to country, but granting permission on an episode by episode basis seems over the top.
    For some it's every day language and it doesn't matter if you're a comedian from the east end or an actor who went to eton and cambridge.

Kirsty Young has a lovely swearing voice.

Filthy mind too. There's a good reason she is a regular on HIGNFY.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    F-words with a fore-word, e.g: Mother & the C-word are defined as 'Very Strong Language'

Just because an f-word has mother in front of it does not make it very strong language. The C-Word is very strong language. Just that. They always say it has very strong language, and it never does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treasures of Ancient Rome was broadcast before 9 this evening and I am sure they mentioned Hadrian's dinner guests getting "pissed".
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the point of these warning neither of any skys channels show these warnings. so why does the BBC have too? or come to that the ITV as well
    Forum Member
    grissom123 wrote: »
    F-words with a fore-word, e.g: Mother & the C-word are defined as 'Very Strong Language'

Just because an f-word has mother in front of it does not make it very strong language. The C-Word is very strong language. Just that. They always say it has very strong language, and it never does.

Yes it does. in terms of what the Ofcom broadcasting code sets out. And its also a very offensive term to use anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Sky do give some basic content warnings before films on their movie channels, along with the age rating, but don't have a specific one for very strong language.

Both the c-word and the mother-word have been considered *very* strong for years - leads to the slightly silly situation where channels have been known to censor the word mother, but leave the second part! Red Heat on one of the ITV channels was the last time I saw this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should broadcast Nil By Mouth. Don't think they ever would.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    samwalk wrote: »
    Treasures of Ancient Rome was broadcast before 9 this evening and I am sure they mentioned Hadrian's dinner guests getting "pissed".

Thats hardly strong language though is it?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the point of these warning neither of any skys channels show these warnings. so why does the BBC have too? or come to that the ITV as well
    Yes they do. Sky always give warnings before any show with Strong language, violence, sexual content etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Why? I am sure the film has been shown on Channel 4 in the past and has been on Sky Movies quite recently. The film hasn't been banned from British TV!
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Very strong language doesn't mean any specific words, it's the way it's delivered if someone says really aggressively 'f**k you' that's strong language, if someone says 'f**k you' in a more calm way or jokey way that is just bad language and not very strong language.

There's no such thing as "bad language".
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its what the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and so on have always worked with and what the viewing public knows, mostly.
    So yes, its VERY much to do with the specific words.

I never realised that 'mother' was such a swear word? ;)
    lundavra wrote: »
    Agreed, I don't particularly want to listen to unnecessary 'strong language' (and most is unnecessary). It is usually a good indication that the programme is going to be rubbish so I will avoid it.

Best get back to the Daily Mail forums before they miss you!
    Phred wrote: »
    So why is there no warning before every episode of Mrs Brown's Boys?

Because it's appalling?
    ftv wrote: »
    The one that gets me is on the news where both BBC and ITN say ''The following report contains upsetting scenes'' or similar phrases. But there's no clue what these scenes are (and what upsets one person might not upset another). Surely the editor(s) should do what they're paid for and make the reports suitable for family viewing.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Yes I agree, they should send an email to all war zones and ask that anyone killing people make sure the dead bodies are nicely arranged and dressed in the latest fashion for the cameras so as not to upset anyone.

^^ This.

C4 News treats viewers with more intelligence. They don't go OTT with such scenes, but they don't shy away from them when necessary.
    They should put the warning before HIGNFY then they wouldn't have to resort to bleeping

I was about to say (although I've detailed it on the appropriate thread) about all the times I've complained about the censorship.
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I read a story that was quoting the exe producer Richard Wilson saying the reason its bleeped now, is because he got so sick and tired of fighting with the BBC on a weekly basis to include the words uncut.
    And because the BBC has such a moronic manner in how strong language is passed for broadcast, the fact HIGNFY is filmed on a Thursday evening, meant by the time clearance came, it was to late and the final edit had been rendered and to go back then unedit it, would be to costly and the BBC wouldn't agree to that either.
    Most of the time, the BBC would deny the request anyway. It was the days where even Friday Night With Jonathan Ross show was bleeped way past 11pm at night. Fearing one petty whino instead of realizing that actually, were adults and don't need censorship the likes of US tv!
    (The process currently for strong language for BBC is..
    Exec producer sends request form to the BBC channel controller, who will review it, then send to the BBC Vision director who has final say, if declined, no go for uncut airing)

Do you have a link for this, please? That has really opened my eyes. Hat Trick have never responded to my comments, and the BBC have only ever given me short shrift on the issue, concluding moronically, "Hey, we like it because we think it's funny to hear the bleeping!"
    lundavra wrote: »
    It does seem unnecessary on the programme, usually second rate stand up "comedians", it would be better if they just stop using them on the programme.

Not necessarily. Strong language has it's time and place like any other part of language.
    tothegrand wrote: »

Of course they have. I saw it on C4. Didn't think much of it, however.
    Forum Member
    The f-word with "mother" as a foreword is NOT very strong language.
    Very strong language is the c-word
    From the BBFC website:
    strong language (eg 'f***') and/or very strong language (eg ‘c***’)

Very strong language is the c-word.
    Just because an f-word has "mother" at the beginning of it doesn't make it very strong language. It's just the f-word with "mother" at the beginning of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    From the BBFC website:

Just because an f-word has "mother" at the beginning of it doesn't make it very strong language. It's just the f-word with "mother" at the beginning of it.

Ofcom is often a LOT stricter than the BBFC, X-Men Origins got a 12(A), but according to Ofcom it's unsuitable for pre-watershed airplay because children might be watching....
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Frankie Boyle got around it by using Father ****ers instead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because our lords and masters say people expect higher standards from the BBC.
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thats hardly strong language though is it?

Unexpected before 9 but seems you are right, Ofcom research says "Not really offensive - just means drunk". But not what my parents would expect from a serious academic in family time.
    Forum Member
    From the BBFC website:

You're just putting your opinion here as fact.
    Motherf***** is very strong and has been that way for so many years so why are you on here claiming now that its not?
    ITV, Channel 4, BBC, Channel 5, Sky agree with its classification as very strong as do many others that take part in the market research that Ofcom & BBFC do to determine what is and isn't profanity.
    Are you going to next claim that the racist N word is in fact just a jokey way to say hello?!
    Forum Member
    Mother-F is NOT very strong language.
    It's strong language; just because its got "mother" as foreword doesn't make it very strong.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strong language; just because its got "mother" as foreword doesn't make it very strong.

I think you'll find that it does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samwalk wrote: »
    Because our lords and masters say people expect higher standards from the BBC.

Unexpected before 9 but seems you are right, Ofcom research says "Not really offensive - just means drunk". But not what my parents would expect from a serious academic in family time.
    How is it unexpected? Even sitcoms like Only fools and horses had very mild swear words and was shown before 9pm. There have even U rated films that feature words like piss. So why you would be shocked by it I don't know?
    Forum Member

No offence here, but give it a rest now.
    We all know YOU don't think it is, but the fact remains that it infact IS. So would you please deal with it, because this is getting tiresome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either there is no clear definition of "strong language" in a TV context or the defition is badly written and understood differently by different broadcasters. Neither option reflects well on Ofcom.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    Fairness wrote: »
    Either there is no clear definition of "strong language" in a TV context...
    I'm sure there's a list but I can't remember I saw it. :confused::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it unexpected? Even sitcoms like Only fools and horses had very mild swear words and was shown before 9pm. There have even U rated films that feature words like piss. So why you would be shocked by it I don't know?

Not shocked but surprised. Not sad enough to look up the lists, but I always thought there were words most people would not want kids to use, and for that reason moderate swearing was banned before 9. Only Fools And Horses used very mild language like "plonker". Seems I am in a minority.
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I'm out in town or in shops, I hear kids swearing all the time, a lot of it comes from the parents not the telly