Should Foreigners be made to pay for Health Care?

Comments

• StykerStyker Posts: 49,780
    Forum Member
    I was in Hospital just before christmas and I was amazed at the amount of foreigners who were attending clinics and taking up beds. Many had to have interpreters to translate for medics and one man in particular was "going home to Pakistan" once he got discharged after major surgery.He has never worked nor payed taxes here in the UK , but felt great because he was able to raise the airfare and select the best hospital for his operation on the NHS.

The sooner the NHS has a great big Payments Desk at the entrance to all GP surgeries and Hospitals for those who are not resident or pay taxes here the sooner the better and much needed funds for the NHS.

A lot of people who say "they are going back home" have lived and worked here for decades so why are you assuming the man was a foreigner who hasn't paid his share?

Even if he was a visititor, people have to pay for Visa's to come here and pay VAT on most things they will use as a service while here and seeing as ost of them will not need health care and probably have health insurance to cover them anyway, I say no they shouldn't have to pay because all in all they probably pay a lot more than they use and the health staff will be paid and be there regadless too.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    People who pay should get the treatment, those who make a living from signing on every week should not, people from abroad have to pay as they have no option unlike the millions of career unemployed in the U.K who have paid nothing into the system but expect a freebee just because they were born here. The NHS does not run on thin air so I welcome paying foreign patients who in turn fund the service unlike some who think its their god given right to free health care paid by others.

Why should EU citizens pay when we do not pay in their countries. This doesn't make sense.

People outside the EU already pay.

I have an italian friend that his Indonesian girlfriend his pregnant with his child, he lives in here for years and pays his taxes in here, but still he has to go to Italy for her be followed on her pregnancy in search of this mythical free healthcare that Daily Mail readers are convinced we give everyone.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I was in Hospital just before christmas and I was amazed at the amount of foreigners who were attending clinics and taking up beds. Many had to have interpreters to translate for medics and one man in particular was "going home to Pakistan" once he got discharged after major surgery.He has never worked nor payed taxes here in the UK , but felt great because he was able to raise the airfare and select the best hospital for his operation on the NHS.

The sooner the NHS has a great big Payments Desk at the entrance to all GP surgeries and Hospitals for those who are not resident or pay taxes here the sooner the better and much needed funds for the NHS.
    If people have paid into the system, why shouldn't they get care.

The NHS is supposed to chase non-residents WITH WHOM WE DON'T HAVE A RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT WITH for payment, but I think this has fallen by the wayside - perhaps enforcement of the existing law would be better than any revisions. If we start charging swan eating Polish asylum seekers, don't be surprised if British people are refused treatment without a hefty deposit or credit card in return.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    Surely they would check to see if the patient has a National Health number?

Sorry wasnt sure of the terms used .My daughter needed help and I presumed it was called National Insurance.Luckily enough she had her EU card with her and was treated with great care .( being from " abroad " and all that !! :D)
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry wasnt sure of the terms used .My daughter needed help and I presumed it was called National Insurance

Yup, made the same mistake a while ago went to the dentist for treatment, the receptionist asked me for my National Health number, and I started to quote my National Insurance number, she stopped me and said National Health number, luckily I knew that number:D
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Why should EU citizens pay when we do not pay in their countries. This doesn't make sense.

People outside the EU already pay.

I have an italian friend that his Indonesian girlfriend his pregnant with his child, he lives in here for years and pays his taxes in here, but still he has to go to Italy for her be followed on her pregnancy in search of this mythical free healthcare that Daily Mail readers are convinced we give everyone.

In this case the patient was non EU so would have had to pay
    Forum Member
    In this case the patient was non EU so would have had to pay

Who says she shouldn't?
    This thread is based on the assumption we give the service for free, we certainly don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who says she shouldn't?
    This thread is based on the assumption we give the service for free, we certainly don't.

Of course they should pay, you are just repeating exactly what I have already stated.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says she shouldn't?

Went to a hospital in another town near us, on the door to the treatment room was a notice to the effect that non-residents may be charged for treatment...
    Forum Member
    Of course they should pay, you are just repeating exactly what I have already stated.

It's not that they should. They pay. So why the whinging?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that they should. They pay. So why the whinging?

Have you actually read the thread in full, I am agreeing with you if you took the time to read my posts which you are just repeating. No-one is whinging except yourself.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP you missed out the bit of your dream were you then realised you'd been naked the whole time then your teeth fell out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    OP you missed out the bit of your dream were you then realised you'd been naked the whole time then your teeth fell out.

I must admit that pamthehound would never make it as a scriptwriter.

"Aaaagh! The pain! I need an operation! I've never paid any taxes! ha ha ha!"
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes refuse treatment to anyone who can it provide evidence of residency status, the NHS cannot carry on as it is and sooner or later we will all see increasing creeping charges for things that should be free at the point of use, if we don't start cracking down on health tourism.

And the NHS should stop printing stuff in languages other than English, god forbid I'd hate to see how much is wasted on translation services not just in the NHS but across local government ect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they should when i go abroad i have got to take medical insurance incase of illness or to pay for hospital bills this country is too soft!!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes refuse treatment to anyone who can it provide evidence of residency status, the NHS cannot carry on as it is and sooner or later we will all see increasing creeping charges for things that should be free at the point of use, if we don't start cracking down on health tourism.

And the NHS should stop printing stuff in languages other than English, god forbid I'd hate to see how much is wasted on translation services not just in the NHS but across local government ect.

So ignorant. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    So ignorant. :cry:

I know you are, for the record I work for the NHS and health tourism is a big problem, 15 yrs and counting I have been in my job and everyday we hear of another patient who has skipped back home without paying.

Every time these morons skip without paying means less in the budget to treat the resident/citizens who actually fund the NHS through taxation.

In fact entry to the UK should be denied unless you carry private medical insurance that covers for two years at least.

And all welfare benefits should be denied to those who turn up on our shores without a job or means to sustain them until the get work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you are, for the record I work for the NHS and health tourism is a big problem, 15 yrs and counting I have been in my job and everyday we hear of another patient who has skipped back home without paying.

Every time these morons skip without paying means less in the budget to treat the resident/citizens who actually fund the NHS through taxation.

What is the NHS doing to recover the money or do they run as soon as they get slapped with a human rights claim?

I understand dialysis treatment can cost £100,000 per person.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is ridiculous.:(
    It should be stopped immediately
    Forum Member

So tell me this please .Should the Spanish Government stop treating British citizens too .??
    How bloody ignorant can one be ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So tell me this please .Should the Spanish Government stop treating British citizens too .??
    How bloody ignorant can one be ?

iif they have not paid into the system then unless they carry private medical insurance the deny everything bar emergency treatment and bill their respective governments, its called the National Health Service not the world health service.

As for Spain most Brits are no citizens of the nation as far as I'm aware so yes they should bill those that have not contributed to the service as Spanish tax payers.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh no, not Rowan again :(

Based on your ridiculous posts in the Rebecca Alington thread and now the above, you're either a very poor troll or just plain ignorant. The notion of free treatment for all and sundry is clearly a myth, as per the many posts in this thread on the subject yet you're talking as if the OP was actually speaking the truth and Johnny Foreigner can simply stoll up to any NHS hospital and receive free treatment regardless of his nationality or place of residence.

Please try reading the thread in full. It's quite enlightening.
    Forum Member
    iif they have not paid into the system then unless they carry private medical insurance the deny everything bar emergency treatment and bill their respective governments, its called the National Health Service not the world health service.

As for Spain most Brits are no citizens of the nation as far as I'm aware so yes they should bill those that have not contributed to the service as Spanish tax payers.

I cant be arsed explaing about reciprocal agreements and EU Health cards .Google it if you want to learn something
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, not Rowan again :(

Based on your ridiculous posts in the Rebecca Alington thread and now the above, you're either a very poor troll or just plain ignorant. The notion of free treatment for all and sundry is clearly a myth, as per the many posts in this thread on the subject yet you're talking as if the OP was actually speaking the truth and Johnny Foreigner can simply stoll up to any NHS hospital and receive free treatment regardless of his nationality or place of residence.

Please try reading the thread in full. It's quite enlightening.

You can bill somebody for treatment following Dept Health guidelines but not bother to collect the money...because the person being billed has no money. Everybody knows this! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant be arsed explaing about reciprocal agreements and EU Health cards .Google it if you want to learn something

There are a lot countries not part of the Agreement, but their citizens aren't paying a penny.

You can have all agreements you want but if you're not attempting to get the money back, the treatment is free.