Options

Climbed Every Mountain: The Story Behind the Sound of Music - BBC2

2»

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    But what did people think about the PROGRAMME?

I found it really interesting - Maria was obviously a bit unhinged in real life and had a pretty detrimental effect on her children. Neither of her biological children nor any of her grandchildren spoke of her with any affection or warmth and her daughter seemed to actively dislike her.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, so we can't criticise a Gay presenter now lest we be branded a bigot ? :cool:

No, you're missing the point. I picked up on the 'quota' comment and this pernicious idea that TV fills jobs by some gay 'quota' - and the implication that there are more gay people on the box 'than there should be'...which nearly always comes from bigots who think there shouldn't be any.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Sue Perkins, and when she's presenting something, I always believe in her interest in it - I don't get that from all presenters, tbh, but I do feel there's an integrity about her with what she presents.
    I found the programme interesting, but really sad; my illusions were well and truly shattered because I really wanted to learn that the Julie Andrews, sugar and spice version of the story was true!:o
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what did people think about the PROGRAMME?

I found it really interesting - Maria was obviously a bit unhinged in real life and had a pretty detrimental effect on her children. Neither of her biological children nor any of her grandchildren spoke of her with any affection or warmth and her daughter seemed to actively dislike her.

I felt for the daughter who was interviewed by Sue towards the end. She seemed child-like and vulnerable, despite being an old lady. All she wanted was to get married and have kids but Maria apparently made her afraid of men. She seemed a sweet lady.

And then there was the 90-something daughter, the one who went off to the South Pacific to do missionary work with Maria, and is now also living in Vermont with her adopted son and can no longer speak English.
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOM actually had some alternative endings which were found accidentally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QcSS5vxhu4
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did make me laugh out loud - and I've been to Salzburg a few times (usually for Mozart related things, not SOM!) is that if they had actually walked over the mountains, they could have waved at the Fuhrer as they passed in sight of Berchtesgarten...

I just knew there was a flaw in the plan.....