Bill Very Oddie

gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
I see he is defending Rolf Harris! I wonder what he did that was such a 'mystery incident' that he was not invited back to do that birdy watch programme.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344873/Former-Springwatch-star-Bill-Oddie-says-Rolf-Harris-did-cuddle-secretary.html

Comments

• elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Few associates of rapists ever do suspect that the charge could be true. The rest - those that suspect and do nothing for the sake of a quiet life, of which there are many - are complicit, yet rarely if ever face charge. I'm sure Stuart Hall's friends and business partners (not counting the rapist he co-owned a magazine company with or the other co-owner, alleged rapist William Roache) by and large didn't think he was capable either. Still they'll have plenty of time to talk it over with him when he's out next year.

As for Rolf's alleged crimes, well we'll wait and see, but all Bill's stupid comments do is denigrate his accusers (which I suppose, was probably the intention) and make Bill seem like an idiot (which I suppose, wasn't). Unless Bill stuck like glue to Rolf for his entire life, he doesn't know what went on and should keep his trap shut.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering Rolf Harris has not yet been convinced of any crime, what's wrong with anyone defending him? That is, as long as you don't do what Bill appears to have done and resort to blaming potential victims. It's more than possible to defend someone without going that horrible route.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Bill's had his own problems in recent times, what with his health. He'd do better to keep a dignified silence over this, at least until the investigation has been played out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering Rolf Harris has not yet been convinced of any crime, what's wrong with anyone defending him? That is, as long as you don't do what Bill appears to have done and resort to blaming potential victims. It's more than possible to defend someone without going that horrible route.

If someone is going to claim to be in a position to defend someone, it might help for starters if they actually knew what they were defending them against. Here's a hint for Oddie: it's not for cuddling his secretary.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering Rolf Harris has not yet been convinced of any crime, what's wrong with anyone defending him?

Given Rolf Harris has not yet been accused let alone charged of any specific offence, why is someone defending him? It looks a bit pre-emptive, which raises suspicions of what there is to be pre-emptive about...
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of speculation, and accusations, from the serial muck-rakers anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of speculation, and accusations, from the serial muck-rakers anyway.

Almost as surely as there'll be apologists for the muck-causers.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see he is defending Rolf Harris! I wonder what he did that was such a 'mystery incident' that he was not invited back to do that birdy watch programme.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344873/Former-Springwatch-star-Bill-Oddie-says-Rolf-Harris-did-cuddle-secretary.html

i really hope Rolf is innocent .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member

Yes - so do I
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is, until proven guilty, but I take your point and kind of agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given Rolf Harris has not yet been accused let alone charged of any specific offence, why is someone defending him? It looks a bit pre-emptive, which raises suspicions of what there is to be pre-emptive about...

Oh, I agree it works both ways.

Having watched one of Rolf's alleged victims speak about her ordeal I do believe her and feel desperately sorry for her. However I'm still not going to have a go at people defending RH because at this point he's still innocent until proven guilty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - so do I

I do too but having watched one of the alleged victims being interviewed I do have to say, I believe her. It's sad and horrible all around if it's decided in court Rolf Harris is an abuser. It will bring home yet again that message that you never really know someone.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That interview is very convincing.

Harris used to do swimming adverts with young children and I always found that queasy.

IF and that is IF he is found guilty I hope he dies in prison.

Until then we must presume he is innocent.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what has rolf been accessed of , I have not been following the story or is it not out in the open yet
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope, by opening his gob, that Bill wont be the next one interviewed by Inspector Knacker?
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's a well documented depressive and had a breakdown.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That interview is very convincing.

Harris used to do swimming adverts with young children and I always found that queasy.

IF and that is IF he is found guilty I hope he dies in prison.

Until then we must presume he is innocent.

If there is a compelling case against Rolf Harris, the police are taking their time with it. He hasn't even been charged with anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some may find the interview convincing but then again so is a well scripted TV programme.

Since the interview is not in court it doesn't really count as evidence.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Some may find the interview convincing but then again so is a well scripted TV programme.

Since the interview is not in court it doesn't really count as evidence.

People can make statements that is the basis for a court action and it is introduced evidence to the court.

That lady in the interview is more than convincing - she is telling the appalling truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People can make statements that is the basis for a court action and it is introduced evidence to the court.

I doubt those videos are released to media before any possible trial.
    ... That lady in the interview is more than convincing - she is telling the appalling truth.

It is an allegation, it has not yet be proven to be the truth appalling or otherwise.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That lady in the interview is more than convincing - she is telling the appalling truth.

If she was telling the truth then Rolf appears to have been brazen in the extreme - in which case I'd expect it to be part of a long line of offences like Stuart Halls - I suppose we'll see when it comes to court.

I was a little annoyed with the interview on youtube in that it did seem rather sensationalised with the tinkly sad piano track and the unquestioning interviewer. I'm also concerned that she took payment for it - not just expenses.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you saw the interview he did for BBC Breakfast News during the last series he presented, I'd say that's a massive clue as to why he wasn't invited back. The BBC gave him a way to withdraw from the job with some grace, but they wouldn't have wanted a repeat of that outburst.

He has appeared as a guest on the programme more recently.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched the YouTube interview. She comes across as credible. She's a good actress if she's not telling the truth.

Enter 'Current affair Rolf Harris Sexual abuse' into YouTube, to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Okay, I think that's ridiculous on your part. I went swimming with men as a child, including one of my teachers who would now probably never be let near a pool full of kids due to people like you.

It's this attitude that has really harmed innocent interaction between adults and children and it is beyond stupid and sad, regardless of whether Rolf Harris is guilty or not.