Memory Foam Mattresses/"topper" mattresses: Do they make you sweat??!!!!

Paul M CPaul M C Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Spent £60 just recently on a memory foam mattress topper for the bed - I'd read such good things about these (especially helping things like back problems etc) that I thought I would shell out and get this top up mattress.

However, after putting it on the bed (it's only a couple of inches deep but feels quite "doughy"!) I kept waking up each night, dripping in sweat (urghh!) and then this would make me cold - so each night, I started having really disturbed sleep.

I honestly thought I then had a medical problem - it didn't occurr to me that it might be something to do with the memory foam topper....

However, one day last week, I got so fed up of waking up each night sweating, so I took the memory foam back off the bed.

Since then??? I've slept brilliantly - no sweating what so ever!

So, am I just unlucky and can't use this sort of foam or does anyone else experience this?

Feel a bit peeved at having spent £60 on something I now can't use (and it was a decent proper make - Silent-night, so no cheapy old one!!!)

I would just add that I am not the sort of person who sweats easily (even in the summer) so I am very surprised that I can't use this foam!

Comments

• marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a topper and it doesn't make me sweat. I get a lovely sleep on it too. Wouldn't be without one

I did read before I got it that they do make people sweat though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the room too warm overnight, and have you got a lighter tog duvet to compensate ?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard people say their memory foam mattresses make them sweat too OP so you aren't alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I've heard many times before of memory foam causing people to sweat heavily. You could try taking sage tablets and see if that stops you sweating so much, they worked for me I used to sweat heavily during the daytime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    They do make you sweat more. More of your body comes in contact with them. Memory foam mattresses often come with "cooling" sheets over them but toppers rarely do.

I had a topper and it made me warmer but now I have a full mattress and it's not as bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    They are foam so they don't allow your sweat to drip through in the same way as a sprung mattress! Easy way to stop it - cool things down. We have turned the radiator right down, have the window open on vent and have changed the duvet to one with a lower tog rating. Good nights sleep had by all and no aches & pains
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love mine, it doesn't make me sweat so I'm lucky. I can't sleep without the window open though maybe that's why
  • S-T-E-V-ES-T-E-V-E Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines nice and dry :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a memorey foam matress and I do find it radiates heat, not too bad in the winter but in the summer out here it was a struggle. Will definately be buying a topper of some sort to stop this as I believe they are available.