Samsung Galaxy S4

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Android has supported multi-core CPUs since Honeycomb (3.0).

So what? The software running on it has to to benefit from 8 cores. Even desktop PCs only just make use of 4.

Edit....
    You'd never use all 8 cores simultaneously.
    4 of them are low-power cores, they're only used when the handset is idling/not being pushed. Then when needs demand, the 4 main cores are used instead. But it's only ever one set or the other.

Just read this ^. I wonder what benefit this has to just switching to a single other core or a pair.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? The software running on it has to to benefit from 8 cores. Even desktop PCs only just make use of 4.

Edit....

Just read this ^. I wonder what benefit this has to just switching to a single other core or a pair.

If the OS is given multiple instances of a process it will and can use more cores for different processes. The very fact that there are multiple things going on will means the cores will be worked by the OS, although the full potential of a very powerful app will only be unlocked if it's coded to take advantage of multicore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    If the OS is given multiple instances of a process it will and can use more cores for different processes. The very fact that there are multiple things going on will means the cores will be worked by the OS, although the full potential of a very powerful app will only be unlocked if it's coded to take advantage of multicore.

Yes, i totally understand that. I'm talking about the main app needing to be coded to use the multiple cores.

All the background tasks would hardly even use a core or 2. Leaving the rest for the main app, which DOES need to be coded multithreaded.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe with 8 cores I will be able to press "contacts" and have them display in under 5 seconds unlike my S3 LOL
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This:
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Even if individual apps don't use multiple cores, doesn't mean there's no benefit.

As for the low-power cores vs switching cores off, it must be something to do with the architecture.
    The Exynos 5 Octa follows ARM's big.LITTLE design, there must be a reason why ARM chose to implement that architecture.

edit:
    All the background tasks would hardly even use a core or 2. Leaving the rest for the main app, which DOES need to be coded multithreaded.
    It doesn't work like that.
    You don't put all the processes onto one core until it's maxxed-out, you spread everything out across all the cores and that should aid battery life as each core will run at a slower speed and therefore use less power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't work like that.
    You don't put all the processes onto one core until it's maxxed-out, you spread everything out across all the cores and that should aid battery life as each core will run at a slower speed and therefore use less power.

Fair enough then, if the total battery drain ends up less net. That does sound pretty cool if it works out like that. We need something to extend our battery life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yeah, in theory...

You need to get the code right or it doesn't work.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Maybe with 8 cores I will be able to press "contacts" and have them display in under 5 seconds unlike my S3 LOL

mine comes up less than a second. the YouTube app is the slowest. to start.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this be the best seller of 2013 and will it be more or equally as successful as the S3?

Is anyone here waiting for it or due to upgrade around the time its released? What specs do you want?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Which smart phone was actually the best seller of 2012?
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which smart phone was actually the best seller of 2012?

Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Will this be the best seller of 2013 and will it be more or equally as successful as the S3?

Is anyone here waiting for it or due to upgrade around the time its released? What specs do you want?

I want a similar or bigger screen to the S3, 2 gigs of RAM like the international S3 had, and LTE. If it ticks those boxes I'm buying it as soon as it comes out. Wireless charging would be nice, but not a must.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I would want a...

16 core processor
    4GB ram + 128GB storage
    5inch 4k res screen
    41mp camera
    4G LTE Advanced

*wakes up* :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The international model of the S3 is the i9300, the same (non-LTE) model that is on sale in the UK. It was the US variants and the Korean LTE model that had 2GB of RAM and, in the case of the US handsets, that was down to the difference in the SoC used and how it performs.
    That said, the Note2 had 2GB of RAM so it's unlikely that any future Samsung flagship would take a step back from that.

The screen will almost certainly be the 4.99" fullHD S-AMOLED panel that Samsung have shown off.
    And LTE is a given.

It's the SoC that raises the biggest questions - I'm not sure it will be the 8-core Exynos5 chip, I think the potential heat it produces is far too high for a phone.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Is there any phones currently LTE Advanced compatible ?

Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Where was this confirmed?
    Forum Member
    Is there any phones currently LTE Advanced compatible ?

Where was this confirmed?

Nope, none at the moment.

It was confirmed somewhere, can't remember where. But basically it outsold the 4s in Q2 and 3 i think.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Nope, none at the moment.

It was confirmed somewhere, can't remember where. But basically it outsold the 4s in Q2 and 3 i think.

Nicked from Wikipedia:

Samsung Galaxy S III, 96 million sold
    Apple iPhone 5, over 54 million sold
    Samsung Galaxy Note, 10 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4S, 9.5 million sold
    Samsung Galaxy Note II, over 8 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4, 7.3 million sold
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Nicked from Wikipedia:

Samsung Galaxy S III, 96 million sold
    Apple iPhone 5, over 54 million sold
    Samsung Galaxy Note, 10 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4S, 9.5 million sold
    Samsung Galaxy Note II, over 8 million sold
    Apple iPhone 4, 7.3 million sold

thats totally wrong.

54m is too high for the iPhone 5. They only shipped 48m iPhones combined during 2012 (4,4s,5) since the iPhone 5 was released. (sep-Dec)

And the S3 should be somewhere around 40m at the end of 2012, not 96m.... WTF!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    thats totally wrong.

54m is the total number of iPhones sold in 2012, not iphone 5's.

And the S3 should be somewhere around 45m, not 96m.... WTF!

Where are you getting your figures from?
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Where are you getting your figures from?

Sales reports from Samsung and Apple themselves.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Please Note: No Phone will be fully LTE Compatible until OFCOM's Auction has finished, as the frequencies that the companies will be using after the Auction is not available on current Phones,
    if you want a truly LTE Phone you will have to wait until the Auction has finished

LTE Now is in the 1800Mhz band

EE
    Three - when they launch from the frequencies they had from EE

LTE Later - in the 800Mhz and 2.4Ghz band - Bidders

BT
    EE
    Three
    O2
    Vodaphone
    HKT UK
    MLL Telecom Ltd

See Here for more information
    http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2013/0...ion-under-way/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those stats above are completely wrong. The iPhone 4S was Apple's flagship phone until September. The idea that it only sold 9.5 million units throughout 2012 is ridiculous. It probably sold at least that many in Q4, despite the iPhone 5 being out.

Sales of the S3 were higher than that of the iPhone for one quarter of 2012. I can't remember if this was worldwide or in the UK, and if the figures were directly comparing the S3 to the iPhone 4S (this was before the iPhone 5's launch) or to all three models of iPhone that were available at that time (3GS, 4, 4S).

As of just over a month ago, Samsung had sold 40m S3s, so the 96 million figure is completely wrong. They announced just over a month ago that they'd sold 100 million units across the Galaxy S line.

Nevertheless, the S4 will be a huge seller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please Note: No Phone will be fully LTE Compatible until OFCOM's Auction has finished, as the frequencies that the companinies will be using after the Auction is not available on current Phones, if you want a truly LTE Phone you will have to wait until the Auction has finished
    That's completely wrong.

LTE Now is in the 1800Mhz band

[...]

LTE Later - in the 800Mhz and 2.4Ghz band
    And the LTE variants of the S3 and Note2 support all three of those bands.
    As does the Xperia Z and ZL, the Lumia 920 and 820 and the Blackberry Z10.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    For me the S4 needs to be a real upgrade.

The s3 felt tacky and plasticky especially compared to the other top smart phones. It's design was rare dated too.

It sold however.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    iPhone 4s sold nearly 40 million alone in 2012
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/08/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-topped-apples-iphone-4s-in-q3-2012-sales

in 2012 Apple sold 100 million iphones (all models), f**kin impressive record considering all these reports apple are doomed etc;