Car Accident in car park - is it covered by insurance?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,516
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend of mine has been involved in a minor accident (bumper to bumper touch with no visible damage) in Morrison's car park. I remember reading somewhere that car insurance does not cover such incidents, is this right?

Thanks for your help. :)
CS

Comments

• housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is no damage i wouldnt tell the insurance people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    If theres no damage then why would you need insurance to be involved :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no damage to either car but the other owner is trying to claim that an old scratch (which has been filled in with filler) is a result of the bumper touch - even though it is on the side of the bumper when they touched back to back.

My friend has no problem paying up for any damage caused - waited by the car until the owner returned and swapped telephone numbers - but this seems to be a scam and he just wants to know where he stands in case things go pear-shaped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CelticStar wrote: »
    There is no damage to either car but the other owner is trying to claim that an old scratch (which has been filled in with filler) is a result of the bumper touch - even though it is on the side of the bumper when they touched back to back.

My friend has no problem paying up for any damage caused - waited by the car until the owner returned and swapped telephone numbers - but this seems to be a scam and he just wants to know where he stands in case things go pear-shaped.

My O/h dad had a lovely lady Jag driver back into his car in Morissons car park, and his insurance covered it. They claimed from her insurance. There was sufficiant damage though, had to get the back bumper replaced and painted.

If the guy insits in being an asshole about it, tell him to get a quote and you will contact you insurers about it, I would think the excess would be more that the cost of the work though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    My O/h dad had a lovely lady Jag driver back into his car in Morissons car park, and his insurance covered it. They claimed from her insurance. There was sufficiant damage though, had to get the back bumper replaced and painted.

If the guy insits in being an asshole about it, tell him to get a quote and you will contact you insurers about it, I would think the excess would be more that the cost of the work though.

Thanks for your help. No-one minds when there is genuine damage but why are people so grasping nowadays?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member

This annoys me so much, someone accused me of reversing into them a few years back, I did reverse but did not touch them and i only reversed about 6inches. They claimed that I had not only damaged their car causing over £1000 worth of damage (the car was an old fiesta, barely worth £250) but that i had given the passenger whip lash so severe that she had a years worth of physio and the driver was too traumatised to return to work.........:mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hen wrote: »
    This annoys me so much, someone accused me of reversing into them a few years back, I did reverse but did not touch them and i only reversed about 6inches. They claimed that I had not only damaged their car causing over £1000 worth of damage (the car was an old fiesta, barely worth £250) but that i had given the passenger whip lash so severe that she had a years worth of physio and the driver was too traumatised to return to work.........:mad::mad::mad:

You poor thing, that is so irritating!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hope this has taught your friend a lesson, next time if no one is about, act as if you didn't even know and drive off.

If there are people about, get a piece of paper and pretend to write on it and put it under wipers. People will think you are leaving you're details when infact you have left it blank.

There are very few honest drivers out there now, especially as we are adopting the American style "Where there is blame there is a claim" attitude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A works van reversed in to the side of my car causing a large dent in the front side panel three years ago, and has denied it ever since.

Car insurance is a waste of money, I would be better putting the money in a savings account.
    :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lostsworld wrote: »
    Hope this has taught your friend a lesson, next time if no one is about, act as if you didn't even know and drive off.

If there are people about, get a piece of paper and pretend to write on it and put it under wipers. People will think you are leaving you're details when infact you have left it blank.

There are very few honest drivers out there now, especially as we are adopting the American style "Where there is blame there is a claim" attitude.

It's a sad state of affairs when we reach this point though isn't it? A few years ago my OH and myself were in a restaurant when a young lad came in and asked if the 'purple car' outside was ours. When we said it was he said he was really sorry but he had reversed into it. He then gave us all his details but said that his dad was a mechanic at a large. local garage and would we mind having it mended there - resprayed bumper etc - if it was done properly as his insurance would skyrocket if he made a claim, he was only about 19. We agreed (though we got a mechanic friend of ours to check it out) and everything was fine. I even praised his dad saying he must have brought him up properly as he could easily have driven off. It just seems that nowadays people are only interested in what they can chisel out of other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If your friend doesn't hasve a problem paying for any damage and the damage is relatively small, then don't go through the insurers - chances are the excess is more than the actual cost of the damage, so they won't pay anything, plus you'll lose any NCD when the renewal is due...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine has been involved in a minor accident (bumper to bumper touch with no visible damage) in Morrison's car park. I remember reading somewhere that car insurance does not cover such incidents, is this right?

I have a vague recollection of Tesco's car insurance trying to wriggle out of an accident in a Tesco store car park. I believe they paid up in the end.

French insurance, allegedly, is not valid on the roundabout around the Arc de Triomphe:
    http://www.terrace.qld.edu.au/academic/lote/french/icoarc.htm
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    What about if there's CCTV? (where there usually is in supermarket car parks)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    What about if there's CCTV? (where there usually is in supermarket car parks)

If it wasn't for her friend staying and waiting for owner, owner would never have known and not try to put a false claim through.

Yes if significant damage was caused then stay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A trolley blew out of a trolley park bay thingy in Tesco and put a nasty dent in the side of my friends new car.

After a lot of letter writing they finally paid up, but she had to prove that the bays were not suitable ie no bump to stop them rolling out.

They tried the private property thing with her also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sad state of affairs when we reach this point though isn't it? A few years ago my OH and myself were in a restaurant when a young lad came in and asked if the 'purple car' outside was ours. When we said it was he said he was really sorry but he had reversed into it. He then gave us all his details but said that his dad was a mechanic at a large. local garage and would we mind having it mended there - resprayed bumper etc - if it was done properly as his insurance would skyrocket if he made a claim, he was only about 19. We agreed (though we got a mechanic friend of ours to check it out) and everything was fine. I even praised his dad saying he must have brought him up properly as he could easily have driven off. It just seems that nowadays people are only interested in what they can chisel out of other people.

It is a sad state, but an owner of a 4 year old car that was showroom quality when I bought it, I can say people do not stay around in car parks.

I have dents and scratches from appear to items or handbags(with metal bits) carried passed car, not a single person has left a note. A very expensive job to have my car repainted.

So these days I return the favour, never leave your details if you do it.
    Forum Member
    If it wasn't for her friend staying and waiting for owner, owner would never have known and not try to put a false claim through.

Yes if significant damage was caused then stay.
    True, but what if someone had seen all this happen and told the other vehicle's owner when they arrived back? He'd then "look" for the same damage but then be able to say the driver had left (and back it up with CCTV).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but what if someone had seen all this happen and told the other vehicle's owner when they arrived back? He'd then "look" for the same damage but then be able to say the driver had left (and back it up with CCTV).

As I said if people are about, put a blank note under wiper ;)

edit : by the way, it's not something I do regular, infact in the last 7 years i've not even had a light bump. But you should always have a plan if you do ;)
    Forum Member
    As I said if people are about, put a blank note under wiper ;)
    Oh yeah lol. But would that not look suspicious when he arrives back and finds a blank piece of paper under his wipers?

I guess you could write something random like "2 for 1 on all frozen pizzas" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah lol. But would that not look suspicious when he arrives back and finds a blank piece of paper under his wipers?

I guess you could write something random like "2 for 1 on all frozen pizzas" :D

or

"Call me for good time - 0898 40 50 60"
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to always leave my details even for minor damage (no, it wasn't all THAT often!), but nowadays no-one ever does it for me, so unless I'd done something really bad, I wouldn't bother. If I'm going to lose my NCD, it might as well be for damage to my own car, at least I don't pretend it's worse than it is!