Jack the Ripper films

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Doing some coursework on Jack the Ripper and need to study an audio-visual document so could anyone give me a list of Jack the Ripper films or TV series. I need to study the trailers.

I've got From Hell and Jack the Ripper (1988) so far.

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Study in Terror
    Murder by Decree
    The Lodger
    Time After Time
    Jack's Back
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One starring Anthony Perkins that was a cross between Jack the Ripper and Jekyll and Hyde - can't remember name of it. Starred Glynis Barber out of Dempsey and Makepeace as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got some more, A Study in Terror, Murder by Decree, The Ruling Class, Jack's Back and Time After Time

EDIT: Thanks ironjade, much appreciated, i'll check out The Lodger!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One starring Anthony Perkins that was a cross between Jack the Ripper and Jekyll and Hyde - can't remember name of it. Starred Glynis Barber out of Dempsey and Makepeace as well.

Just Googled it, Edge of Sanity I think, thanks :)
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker - The Ripper (TV Show)

Bridge Across Time (TV Film)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker - The Ripper (TV Show)

I used to love that series, Darren mcGavin was great
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which one was the one where Jack the Rippers eyes glowed bright red? Jesus Christ that scared the hell out of me when I was younger and mentally scarred me for YEARS!!! (Think it was made in the '80s).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Which one was the one where Jack the Rippers eyes glowed bright red? Jesus Christ that scared the hell out of me when I was younger and mentally scarred me for YEARS!!! (Think it was made in the '80s).

"Murder by Decree" shows huge close-ups of the ripper's (very) bloodshot eyes prior to murders.
    Not sure if that's what you remembered, but it scared me as a kid as well :eek:.

Some other references;

"Hands of the Ripper" by Hammer, is a film that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet, and features the Ripper's daughter!
    "Doctor Jekyll and Sister Hyde" is another Hammer film, that shows the fictional doctor (and his female alter-ego!) as the murderer.

"The Mycroft Memoranda" is a fictional book by Ray Walsh, and is a very intriguing mash-up between Sherlock Holmes mythology and the identity of the Ripper.

One of my favourites is the skit in "Amazon Women on the Moon" that reveals the identity of Jack the Ripper as being none other than the Loch Ness Monster. :D
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack The Ripper makes an appearance in an episode of Babylon 5 called Come The Inquisitor. Not sure how useful that is to you though... ;)
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The novel Anno Dracula by Kim Newman also features an alternative history version of Jack The Ripper where he is initially called Silver Knife (rather than Leather Apron) and he goes around killing vampire prostitutes.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Hell..? Johnny Deep film about 10 years ago...

Edit and white chapel tv series, first series was a copy cat on it. 2009, really good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Jack The Ripper makes an appearance in an episode of Babylon 5 called Come The Inquisitor. Not sure how useful that is to you though... ;)

He also appeared in the original Star Trek.:eek:
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    He also appeared in the original Star Trek.:eek:

An episode called "Wolf in the Fold" written by Robert Bloch, author of Psycho
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    The 1959 film JACK THE RIPPER is a good 'un - black and white throughout, then changes to lurid blood-red colour for the final shot!

Klaus Kinski also essayed the role in Jess Franco's version (same title) in 1976. Also entertaining, but as with many Franco films, for all the wrong reasons...
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Doing some coursework on Jack the Ripper and need to study an audio-visual document so could anyone give me a list of Jack the Ripper films or TV series. I need to study the trailers.

I've got From Hell and Jack the Ripper (1988) so far.
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0031664/?ref_=fn_ch_ch_1
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0240549/?ref_=fn_ch_ch_2
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0217686/?ref_=fn_ch_ch_3
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack the Ripper (TV 1988) Michael Caine leads an all star cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned this earlier.
    Just had to share it.
    :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ODBLO1IhQ
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Jack the Ripper (TV 1988) Michael Caine leads an all star cast.

Also explored the Jekyll and Hyde concept, although I'll be damned if I know how the transformation was achieved on a live stage. Derren Brown style leading and persuasion I suppose.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    John Barrymore used to dislocate his jaw doing the transformation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DK1dl8eRc
  • RubydollRubydoll Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandoras box made in 1929 not about him as such but he is an integeral part.. -"Fog" the episode of The Avengers Tara King era was based on the ripper tales but at the time made changes before filming. Most of the other stuff has been mentioned. I also think ABC made the Jack the Ripper series in the 60s with Frank Windsor and Stratford Johns but i haven't googled that just relied on my brain :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barlow and Watt investigated the case in "Jack the Ripper" in 1973.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Barlow and Watt investigated the case in "Jack the Ripper" in 1973.

Yes I remember that, one of the first TV shows that treated the subject seriously.

One of the first Cold Case shows.

I wonder if it's availible on DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    There are numerous documentaries about Jack the Ripper, but they do tend to either be very contradictory of each other or they claim to name who he was using modern scientific evidence, character profiling etc. This too usually ending up with them using their own techniques and ending up with a different name.

The other main problem with using documentaries for research is they do tend to use "artistic licence" to flesh things up saying a conversation, meeting took place, or even sometimes what a victim was thinking or feeling.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Ripper Street' starts on the 30th December on the BBC which has got me interested in the whole saga. I know very little but think it's quite fascinating as the decades go on we all still discuss it.

Is there a film or TV series that tells the whole story as it was (or as it's known rather) with the victims/investigation etc?
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i read the steven knight book on the ripper.

based on that, i must say i found "from hell " fascianting, and also the michael caine version referred to.