Wanna be in my family?

BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
Forum Member
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/
Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system, and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

That sounds....cool. So, I could allow a 'family member' to play one of my games? Its like the digital equivalent of me driving to a family member and lending them a game.

Sounds too good to be true.

Now, if anyone here would like to adopt me.... ;)

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    This is being talked about a lot on other forums.

Potentially, you could buy a game and loan it to one of your X1 'family' and still play the original, as you were the original owner. The 'shared' copy can only be played by one other person at a time. They need to clarify on this because it sounds like it could be easily exploitable, and too good to be true.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    This is being talked about a lot on other forums.

Potentially, you could buy a game and loan it to one of your X1 'family' and still play the original, as you were the original owner. The 'shared' copy can only be played by one other person at a time. They need to clarify on this because it sounds like it could be easily exploitable, and too good to be true.

I think it's only ONE person can play it at a time. So it's either you, or one of the people in your family.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I think it's only ONE person can play it at a time. So it's either you, or one of the people in your family.

Still,in itself this could work really well. I could potentially loan games to people on here, without sending out a disc. This could get very interesting.Hopefully we will get more solid information on this later.
    Forum Member
    Still,in itself this could work really well. I could potentially loan games to people on here, without sending out a disc. This could get very interesting hopefully we will get more solid information on this later.

Yup, it sounds like you can get a group of friends together and exploit this fully which is always a plus for the consumer haha.

Sounds like the PSN thing where 5 people can download your digital games.

MS do need to come out and talk more about the positives of their console if they want to start getting their customers back on their side.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member

Nope:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
    Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

So, I could lend you Forza (if you were nice to me and became part of my family :p), and I can always play Forza because its my game. You could play it as well (at the same time if you wished), but while you're playing it, no-one else in my 'family' could play any games in my library.
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Nope:

So, I could lend you Forza (if you were nice to me and became part of my family :p), and I can always play Forza because its my game. You could play it as well (at the same time if you wished), but while you're playing it, no-one else in my 'family' could play any games in my library.

It does say AnyOne. And it does say "given time". Tbh even i'm confused myself. So it's best to wait for MS to confirm but i'd really doubt they'd allow more than 1 person to play the game at a time. That defeats the point entirely.
    Forum Member
    Win! If this is true and works without catch, i will never buy the same game as my best mate ever again,or we'll go halves on games we're unsure about.

Unfortunately,with the way things have been going, I'm expecting someone from Microsoft to come out and say it was a mistake.:(

They really do need to clarify this soon as this could be a game changer.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just like lending a disk then.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    The only good thing here is the possibility of lending a game without risking losing the disk. The rest is pure garbage designed to placate families and let MS keep their DRM.

It's their way of keeping a 2 console household sweet. Nothing more than that. The restrictions are ridiculous to be honest. Only allowed to share a game around 10 accounts? Only 1 other person can play any of your shared games at a time? Yeah it works for 2 consoles with multiple accounts but as soon as you get to 3 consoles in a household or beyond 1 at home and 1 at a mates you are screwed and arguments about who gets to play when are going to be breaking out.

Its just a restricted bs ms version of what gamers already had and you get to pay for the privilege and they call it a feature.
    Forum Member
    Only 1 other person can play any of your shared games at a time? Yeah it works for 2 consoles with multiple accounts but as soon as you get to 3 consoles in a household or beyond 1 at home and 1 at a mates you are screwed and arguments about who gets to play when are going to be breaking out.

??

And how does this differ from how you lend out games now, or on the ps3 or ps4. If you give someone a physical disk then you can't play it, only the person that has the disk can.

Are you suggesting that all 10 accounts should be able to play the same game at the same time?
    Forum Member
    ??

And how does this differ from how you lend out games now, or on the ps3 or ps4. If you give someone a physical disk then you can't play it, only the person that has the disk can.

Are you suggesting that all 10 accounts should be able to play the same game at the same time?

As of now I can loan out 20 games to 20 people if I choose to. This would restrict it to 1 game to 1 of 10 preselected people at any one time.
    Forum Member
    As of now I can loan out 20 games to 20 people if I choose to. This would restrict it to 1 game to 1 of 10 preselected people at any one time.

No it wouldn't. I can loan out 10 games to 10 different people at the same time with this method. As long as 1 is not playing the same game at the same time then its fine.
    Forum Member
    No it wouldn't. I can loan out 10 games to 10 different people at the same time with this method. As long as 1 is not playing the same game at the same time then its fine.

They said any 1 of your family can access your library at any given time.

Even if it were to be 10 at once using 10 of your games that is still a massive restriction on the situation as it exists for my 360/ps3s ATM where we can loan freely to anyone.
    Forum Member
    It says-

'The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time'

And how many people can honestly put their hand up and say that they have loaned their games out to more than 10 different people?
    Forum Member
    It says-

'The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time'

And how many people can honestly put their hand up and say that they have loaned their games out to more than 10 different people?

There are conflicting statements it seems.

As for more than 10 people? Well it isn't people it's accounts and we have 9 accounts just for 4 of us here spread over 2 ps3s so we have definitely given access to more than 10 accounts between us and sharing with friends for the ps3 stuff. Probably not for the 360 as we only got it for the exclusives and don't have as much content to share.
    Forum Member
    There are conflicting statements it seems.

As for more than 10 people? Well it isn't people it's accounts and we have 9 accounts just for 4 of us here spread over 2 ps3s so we have definitely given access to more than 10 accounts between us and sharing with friends for the ps3 stuff. Probably not for the 360 as we only got it for the exclusives and don't have as much content to share.

Any account on any given console has the power to play any game installed on it by the original owner and will also have gold as long as the main account holder as purchased it.

So if you had 2 Xbox ones say (like your 2 ps3's) you could make as many accounts as you'd like on the original without making them your 'family'

The second console, as i read it ,would have to have a 'family' account set up on it.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Nope:

These paragraphs feel like they might be doing some back pedalling.
    As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons.

In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback as we meet with our partners in the ecosystem to bring additional detail about our policies.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has the potential to be a great feature, if it really is as it seems.

All you'd need to do to negate the £80 price difference with a PS4 is to team up with two friends, each get a different launch game, and then share your libraries as a "Family"... and of course you could have up to 10 people in your "Family" and share multiple games.

Sounds too good to be true...
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although in doing so you arent helping the gaming industry which many folk are saying is a good thing that MS are doing.

Ps. Personally I say best of luck guys...hope it works out ;-)