Rolf Lassgard Wallander

Comments

• enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Like chuzhuchiche I have also noticed and often wondered why people seem to be so provoked by Branagh and why so many, so often, feel the need to express such a dislike for him. I just dont understand it:confused:

Because he's overrated, overhyped and more often than not he over acts. Because he's a 'luvvie'.

In this particular instance, ie Wallander ... see all of the above.
  • Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. His over-acting got worse as the series went on and made it unwatchable, for me.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Philly1234 wrote: »
    Agreed. His over-acting got worse as the series went on and made it unwatchable, for me.

it was almost like it was being turned into a Shakespearian interpretation and that, coupled with the lack of Swedish urban locations, meant it was not convincing Swedish-style drama for me.

In contrast, Rolf Lassgård was on top form last night as the irascible and all too human Wallander. I certainly want to see all of the remaining 7 Rolf Lassgård Wallander episodes now.

It may not be the same as Krister Henriksson's interpretation of the role but it's certainly very good crime drama in its own right.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he's overrated, overhyped and more often than not he over acts. Because he's a 'luvvie'.

In this particular instance, ie Wallander ... see all of the above.
    Why is being a luvvie cause for hatred, e-t??
    And making money - good on him if he has made a lot. Actors never know when they'll get their next job!
    He's been v good in all kinds of parts - I think he's hated on here because he isn't Wallander to most of us who adore Henriksson etc. That's partly the fault of the direction as well as him though and I wouldn't judge him purely on his performance in W.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've read that the Branagh Wallander is quite popular in Sweden

It occurs to me that if the Branagh version hadn't been a success then the BBC wouldn't have bothered to get the rights to show the Henriksson and Lassgård versions
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if the Branagh version was already conceived, but the Swedish certainly was shown first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure about that??
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It occurs to me that if the Branagh version hadn't been a success then the BBC wouldn't have bothered to get the rights to show the Henriksson and Lassgård versions

IIRC the Swedish version beat Kenny B’s to UK screens.

It’s staggering to me that more watch the BBC1 version rather than the BBC4 one. It’s like being offered ersatz or the finest freshly ground Brazilian coffee and opting for the former. I’ve said it before but as long as Brits still balk at subtitled programming we can’t really sneer at the Americans for remaking recent foreign product because their citizens also refuse to tolerate subs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion:

We are not going to chance each other's minds vis a vis the merits of the Branagh Wallander so it might be an idea if this thread is henceforth restricted only to discussion about the Lassgard Wallander
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion:

We are not going to chance each other's minds vis a vis the merits of the Branagh Wallander so it might be an idea if this thread is henceforth restricted only to discussion about the Lassgard Wallander

I agree!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion:

It’s the Kenny B fans that keep re-introducing it to threads whereupon it then sparks debate. The rest of us are busy trying to scrub it from our minds! So a tip for admirers of The Crying Polisman would be to avoid mentioning it again. Ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last!!!!!! I thought I was the only person who liked the Brannagh Wallander. Granted it's not as good as the Henriksson and Lassgård versions but neither is it the steaming pile of s*** that most people on the various Wallander threads treat it as

Branagh's was the first version I'd seen (and I don't read fiction, no staying power). I thought it beautifully crafted and very atmospheric, though would say he played it rather too depressed now that I've seen the other versions, lol :D

Edit - sorry (read previous post now), last word from me on subject!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    It’s the Kenny B fans that keep re-introducing it to threads whereupon it then sparks debate. The rest of us are busy trying to scrub it from our minds! So a tip for admirers of The Crying Polisman would be to avoid mentioning it again. Ever.
    Good for you, strakes!!! Agreed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that "strakes" takes my "support" (for want of a better word) for granted... not that he needs or wants it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting back to the point, part 2 of Firewall is on tonight at 10PM
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Saturday night's episode, but I did wonder how Rolf (Kurt) manages to find so many females that are interested in him. First Maja and now the diabetes nurse. I've seen "Firewall" before, in one of the other versions (BBC, I think) but I could not, for the life of me, remember much of the plot and so it was interesting trying to recall what was going on.
    Following on from our discussion of the absence of Svartmann, there were at least references to a "Svart Man" in this episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^
    Impressive truncheon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been highlighted already, but tonight at 9pm on BBC4 is "Nordic Noir: The Story of Scandinavian Crime Fiction" - documentary which investigates the success of recent Scandinavian crime fiction.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member

Yep, Verence, in an hour and 10 mins and l'll be watching. Not only that, at 9pm on BBC4 tonight there's a programme about Swedish crime fiction and l'll be watching that too so it's nearly time to sign off...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Verence, in an hour and 10 mins and l'll be watching. Not only that, at 9pm on BBC4 tonight there's a programme about Swedish crime fiction and l'll be watching that too so it's nearly time to sign off...

I'm Sky+ing them both :)
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it allowed time for one too many shag scenes during which it was hard to know whose tits to look at!

PMSL. Brilliant. Great line and very true, :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderfully interesting docu before Wallander this evening.
    And watching this version of Firewall I'm struck by how much more suspenseful it is than the KB version! (sorry, shouldn't have mentioned the B word!) I think it's partly because the Swedes don't make the mistake of concentrating too much on Wallander and all his woes.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been highlighted already, but tonight at 9pm on BBC4 is "Nordic Noir: The Story of Scandinavian Crime Fiction" - documentary which investigates the success of recent Scandinavian crime fiction.

Twas interesting, I had no knowledge of Nordic crime fiction.
    IIRC the Swedish version beat Kenny B’s to UK screens.

It’s staggering to me that more watch the BBC1 version rather than the BBC4 one. It’s like being offered ersatz or the finest freshly ground Brazilian coffee and opting for the former. I’ve said it before but as long as Brits still balk at subtitled programming we can’t really sneer at the Americans for remaking recent foreign product because their citizens also refuse to tolerate subs.

Hardly staggering, one is on BBC1 at 9 pm the other is on BBC4 at 9 pm. If they had gone a bit mad and screen the Swedish version the BBC duty officer would have had a very busy evening. It easy to get on ones high horse about the aversion to sub-titling but most people are a bit lazy and like to "watch" tv when not paying proper attention, titling forces one to give 100% to a programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The woman who worked with tynne falk, in Firewall, was she the woman that Kurt (played by Henrikson) had a brief affair with last year.I think she was a doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Hardly staggering, one is on BBC1 at 9 pm the other is on BBC4 at 9 pm. If they had gone a bit mad and screen the Swedish version the BBC duty officer would have had a very busy evening. It easy to get on ones high horse about the aversion to sub-titling but most people are a bit lazy and like to "watch" tv when not paying proper attention, titling forces one to give 100% to a programme.
    I think subtitles would be more accepted if they were shown more often on TV. Basically, if you don't have an interest in world cinema, then you aren't exposed to subtitles, so aren't used to it.